Old April 8, 2002, 00:37   #1
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 08:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How many games of civ III have you played?
I have finished one game. Started a second but never finished it and then went back to Civ II multiplayer.

How about you?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old April 8, 2002, 00:41   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:42
Local Date: October 31, 2010
At least six. I've started and scrapped many more.
Old April 8, 2002, 00:46   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

About 10 complete to victory or retirement due to obvious defeat.

Many more scrapped.

I play slow. Must manage everything.

Poly is putting a serious dent in my playing time.
Old April 8, 2002, 07:45   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 19:42
I only finished 3 games. Others were started and scrapped.

I don't have that much time to play, and I play slowly.
Old April 8, 2002, 09:34   #5
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 17:42
I have no idea how many. That means too many. I kept losing games b/c of patches, scewed up mods (mine), boredom, etc... I have learned a lot about all but the modern era. Two games I've played out ended in industrial age. Always play w/ my mod, which I've tweaked constantly to near perfection, though major screw ups have derailed some games.

i like ibble blibble
Old April 8, 2002, 09:37   #6
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 18:42
I've completed 2 games. I've started and gave up a bunch. I'm also playing in 2 succession games. Great fun.
Old April 8, 2002, 09:54   #7
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Any is at least one too many..
Old April 8, 2002, 13:46   #8
kcbob
King

As accurately as I can remember, I've won three games, been stabbed in the back by a UN vote about five times, and have started and tanked about 100+ other games. I don't know about you all but this game is HARD!
Old April 8, 2002, 14:09   #9
ACooper
Prince

I've played more game than I care to admit. Lost alot of sleep and work time. I usually have two games going at once with one on my desktop and one on my laptop. (Not at exactly the same time.) I don't restart until the game is concluded good or bad. I play some normal and some on a mod that I am working on. Over all the game is a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Any is at least one too many..
Mr. Trick, do you have a useful purpose?
How many times have you left this forum?
Why do you keep coming back?

Nevermind....It's like talking to a wall.
Old April 8, 2002, 14:43   #10
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:42
I'm on my 6th game since beginning on 10/31/01.
Does not include a couple where I aborted real early. Until the last couple weeks I have played 15-25+ hours per week.

Huge maps with large continents (just short of pangea), 9-16 civs, Regent.

I am a bit meticulous, rarely automate workers, and I always play the game to the end (other than the early aborts). Of course, this entails a lot of hours in the modern era. I've lost 1 or 2 games due to ill-advised UN votes, etc., but I reloaded the AutoSave and learned.

I haven't had the pleasure of being wiped off the globe yet. I'm a builder, but will go to war when necessary (or opportunity knocks), for lebensraum early or victory/domination later.

JB
Old April 8, 2002, 14:46   #11
godinex
Prince

At least 20 finished... maybe 50 started. Small and Standard maps
Old April 8, 2002, 15:17   #12
Purple
Prince

I've played three games to a conclusion: won two, lost one.

I've started many, many more, but abandoned them when it was obvious that I was a big loser.
Old April 8, 2002, 17:31   #13
reefer addict
Warlord

Local Time: 14:42
ive finished about 15 games so far. now with 16 civs on a standard earth map i can finish a game in 3-4 days of casual playing
Old April 8, 2002, 21:41   #14
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:42
never, never ever finished a civ game (civ IIor III)

still enjoy the game though
Old April 8, 2002, 22:03   #15
MosesPresley
Prince

I have played about 6 or 7 complete games. I have scrapped at least two or three dozen other games. I have played only one complete game with the 1.17f patch. I don't like the way the AI conducts its foreign policy in the new patch. The tech trading is bad, but I don't mind that. What bothers me now is the AI is completely unreasonable in diplomacy and decides sometime around the middle ages to gang up on me and eliminate from the game. In all of my previous games I never had that problem. Now, I can't get any of the AI opponents to take my side for any amount of resources and/or gold and help out. This isn't an isolated incident. It happens in every game now. FYI: regent level.

I have shelved the game until the next patch or until I can figure out how to deal with this AI dogpile mentality.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old April 8, 2002, 22:04   #16
MosesPresley
Prince

dupe post
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Last edited by MosesPresley; April 8, 2002 at 22:09.
Old April 8, 2002, 22:55   #17
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 08:42
roughlly about 10 I guess.. only lost one so far that was a silly UN vote

Havent moved beyond Regent level though !!!
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old April 9, 2002, 05:18   #18
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 23:42
I started about 5 games (1 chieftain level, 1 warlord and 3 regent, AFAIR). The two firsts were won by UN vote (quite a surprise the first time ! ) ; I was almost destroyed by Elizabeth during the third and gave up ; I did not like start position with the fourth and played only four or five turns ; I am about to complete the fifth by space race (I disabled diplomatic victory).

In fact I am a builder and do not like war. But when I am involved within one it ends with elimination of one of the protagonists from the continent (sometimes me, often the AI ). For example, I already expelled the Brits (kind of vengeance from the previous game ) and the Japs and I am about to eliminate Germans who attacked me without reason.
Old April 9, 2002, 07:57   #19
Aeson
Emperor

I've played about 30 all the way through. I wouldn't even have a clue of how many I've played partially.
Old April 9, 2002, 11:07   #20
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 23:42
10 or so, with a fair few test games as well.
Old April 9, 2002, 11:17   #21
SSBLoveU
Warlord

About eight games since October, some of the earlier wins though were not too impressive. I am getting better. The improvement of the world of Civilization III seems to depend upon me.
Old April 9, 2002, 12:32   #22
bigvic
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by godinex
At least 20 finished... maybe 50 started. Small and Standard maps
Pura Vida! Vivi en Costa Rica un ano hace unos anos. Guadelupe, Goicochea, San Jose, cerca de Lincoln School. 20 terminados! Juepucha! Yo no tanto, pero en mapas gigantescos. Otra Vez, pura vida maje.

i like ibble blibble
Old April 9, 2002, 13:14   #23
SITS
King

Local Time: 22:42
I've finished one - which took me ages. A grim experience....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old April 9, 2002, 13:38   #24
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Egads. Many. 20-30 games played all the way out, with maybe 10-15 games played part way (middle ages/industrial age), countless quick aborts early on.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 9, 2002, 13:49   #25
PerpetualNewbie
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:42
Oh, yeah, more wins than I care to count. Almost always by space race. Hall of fame is full for Rome, France, Japan and Germany, and at least half full for everyone but Aztec. (For some reason, I have never played Aztec..)

Anymore I probably only finish about 1 out of 10 games. Usually when I am obviously going to win, or obviously going to lose, I call the game and start another. (That's probably why I have not bothered beyond monarch. I don't care to spend all the time micromanaging workers, and automated to leave improvements, they generally do pretty decently at Monarch, as long as I keep 10 or so workers under my command at all times...)
Old April 9, 2002, 23:31   #26
Akron
Prince

Got the game in october, but was disappointed with all the bugs in my first game and the huge wait time between turns. Shelved Civ 3 for some time and started playing it again in mid-March. Since then, I have finished 4 games on tiny map / 16 civs. 2 of those games were on monarch, the other 2 were on emperor.
Old April 10, 2002, 02:03   #27
Munroe
Civilization III Multiplayer
Settler

I finished 2 for sure, maybe 3. However I have played maybe 6 or 7 others till the end when I was just too bored to mop up the last civ or when I realized the game was mine. I have started a bunch and played 25 turns and sometimes I just didn't like where the game was going (when you choose pangaea and there is an island with 2 players on it, I just want 1 big land damnit !!) or just too bored and never started the game back up.
Old April 10, 2002, 05:28   #28
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I've actually finished about half a dozen (plus one I lost letting the U.N. vote before I understood it well enough to know better). There's also at least another one or two I might categorize as "indefinitely suspended" after they got boring (ironically, including my best game ever), one where the save file got corrupted before the first patch came out, one I abandoned after discovering halfway through that I was accidentally benefitting from a bug that gave me a serious unfair advantage, and countless restarts when I didn't like the map position or how the early game was playing out (especially trying to tackle Emperor or Deity).

Nathan
Old April 10, 2002, 06:42   #29
Seeker
Emperor

Only two or three, + the required games "recreating the British Empire" and "The Roman Empire forever!" that I tried to finish (on Marla's, sixteen civs...)

I don't have a good solid month to devote to one game... (slow comp. I guess)

I'm surprised so many people are still posting here.

The real editor ain't out yet is it?
Old April 10, 2002, 17:29   #30
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 14:42
four of five partials - haven't been able to get into it. Reloaded Civ2 on my new PC, but probably won't play Civ3 again. I am pretty surprised that I didn't like it right from the start.

Haven't posted in about six months before today...