Old April 8, 2002, 15:53   #1
whistlernj
Settler

Local Time: 17:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Map Settings
I'm having fun playing Civ3 even though I'm about to give up my current game which I described to some people in a previous thread. Essentially I'm doing well with all the other computers (11 civs total excluding me) except for the Germans and Egyptians who are so ridiculously far advanced no one can compete - they just beg for the scraps.

Well anyway, my problem is expansion - I can expand well but by the time I can really start kicking ass with getting a decent sized civ going my damned borders fill up! I'm playing on a huge map, pangaea with 11 other civs. Should I cut down the civs? (I'm going to try that out now) Cut down the map size, or both? Maybe continents will help.. well, whatever. What map settings do you find work best for you in terms of allowing your civilization to expand?
Old April 8, 2002, 17:32   #2
rpodos
Warlord

Local Time: 17:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I play large maps with 8-10 civs. Large continents.

I do it to give the AI civs near me enough time to build up some early military, but it should also work in giving you time to expand.

But if you really want some elbowroom, go to war.

R