View Poll Results: Will Civ3 win an educational game award?
YES 3 21.43%
NO 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 8, 2002, 17:20   #1
watorrey
Warlord

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Will Civ3 win an educational award?
Anyone remember civ1 winning educational game of the year award?

I personally think they blew it completely.

For all the talk about 'in the real world' this, that, or the other thing... this "GAME" is no longer trying to model the real world.

Perhaps, if they had more time and were allowed to make it a 2 cd game it could have been stupendous!! How many hours of deliberation were spent on what to include and what not to because it had to fit on 1 cd.

But... we are stuck with a game where the programmers are more worried about we, the humans, taking advantage of thier precious 'ai'. I'm certain it will look good on thier resumes when it says "I helped create an unbeatable game engine."

THAT is thier priority. Too bad they didn't TRY to make an educational game of the year.
Old April 8, 2002, 18:10   #2
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 18:45
They could have scrapped the animations and done a perfectly good job with one CD.

Am I the only person who views animated units as a sort of step back from the greatness of Civ 2? In the deuce anybody with Paint or and Notepad could make their own mods. Now you need all this fancy ass software for the graphics. And even then it's unstable. Utterly terrible.
Old April 8, 2002, 19:54   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i can honestly say that civ2's civlopedia helped me out on a few European History homeworks
Old April 8, 2002, 20:09   #4
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:45
As far as historical issues go, EU2 is much better with all its events and such. Of course, any game using history as a backdrop for an engaging game won't be perfect.
Old April 8, 2002, 20:15   #5
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

I think it should get a award in the Marketing Category. Civ3 is a perfect example of the power of brand loyalty and how a company can uses this to generate profits. Note the "Get Civillized Tour" again seeking sales thru brand identification. Some marketing student should disect this and uses it as a semester project, should get him an "A".
Old April 8, 2002, 21:06   #6
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy
I think it should get a award in the Marketing Category. Civ3 is a perfect example of the power of brand loyalty and how a company can uses this to generate profits. Note the "Get Civillized Tour" again seeking sales thru brand identification. Some marketing student should disect this and uses it as a semester project, should get him an "A".
Exactly.

How to pay off a discredited Sid for use of his name on a beta product.

How to stick it to the consumer before the Holday buying season.

How to get their flacks in the Gaming world to give Civ III good reviews.

And how to lose all credibility with the PO'd public.
Old April 8, 2002, 21:09   #7
Akron
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Felch X
They could have scrapped the animations and done a perfectly good job with one CD.
I agree.

Instead of multiplayer or a real editor, we got animated leaders. Yay.
Old April 9, 2002, 01:55   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

If I wanted to be educated, I would read a book. ( or show up to my classes) I want a game for enjoyment. nothing more, nothing less, doesn't need to change the world for me.