Old April 9, 2002, 19:23   #1
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 17:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Observations with player1's mod w/ 1.17, Warlord level
I've started a new game on a large or huge map (I have forgotten which :P), continents, with 16 civs, on Warlord level, with player1's mod (which you can find on civ3.com).

So far, it's going great, although I wish the arrows between techs were the premade ones, not the ones the game has now drawn... The techs weren't really changed, were they? *Wonders why the premade arrows weren't used*

First thing of note is that I started in tundra, and I spent around 20 or so turns in the beginning of the game walking south until I found a decent grassland-coast-hill site, and built my capital there. It's around 900 AD now, and the histograph shows me in 3rd place score-wise (Japan 417, France 377, England (me) 363, Germany 362 (I just passed them, I was 4th a few turns ago)), and the demographics (f11) show me as being #1 in Population, Mfg Goods, Disease, Pollution, and Family Size. Ironically, my Family Size is 1 children.

It's Surprising my disease is 0%, but as for Pollution, everyone's in 1st place, I'm sure, as it's still the Early Middle Ages.

So, my first point is that my "wasting" 20 or so turns in the beginning of the game didn't affect my development adversely.

Anyhow, in the beginning I expanded as far as I thought reasonable (to around 8 or so cities, and I mostly ignored the huge amount of tundra to my north, except for colonizing near some luxury resources).

I noticed that by asking a civ to remove their units from my territory two turns in a row, they will remove them and will not return until a ROP or war is declared. In addition, the computer units teleport out, unlike human units. Hrmm.

Around 150 AD I had iron resources, but no horses. I built a number of swordsmen, and then declared war on the Russians, to my southwest. Within a few turns, they arranged a military alliance with the French and Germans against me. I quickly talked the Chinese into declaring war on the Russians and Germans, and the Indians into declaring war on somebody or other. The Japanese refused to get involved.

Long story short, I conquered all of Russia except one city (which they built on the other side of the continent :P), and arranged peace. I had peace with the Germans and French a few hundred years after the war started (Only the Germans tried attacking me, and I repelled them), and the Chinese got their empire reduced to 5 or so cities by the other powers.

But yes, so far so good. *signs offline....*
Old April 10, 2002, 06:03   #2
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nice game.
It looks that random generator made one of survivalist type maps.

Techs weren't chaged, but since rules are, it automaticly draws in differnt way.

Although I built MOD for 1.17f use it won't have any problems with 1.16f.

Check for recent updates at this page (newest version is 1.1) by clicking on link below my post.

P.S.
Original name for MOD was Patch suggestion MOD, but since that name would be confusing if posted at civ3.com it's simply renamed to Player1 MOD.
Old April 10, 2002, 09:43   #3
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Yeah, I'm using 1.1 with 1.17f. Great work, works great so far!

It made two big continents, one in the west, one in the east. I'm in the east, and the continent I'm on holds me (English) in the northwest, with the Japanese in the north & northeast, Chinese and Germans just south of me, and the French and Indians in the southern part of the continent. And the Russians were in the northwest, but they have only one city in the south now.

It's around 1100 or 1200 or so now, I got involved in a war with Germany around 900 AD when I asked them to get their troops out of my territory and they declared war instead. Their troops consisted of swordsmen and archers. I had pikemen in all my cities, and used swordsmen to fight at first, but neither of us could get near each other's cities to attack them without getting killed. I tried using horsemen, but they didn't work well. Eventually, I traded with another nation for Chivalry and built some knights, but by then the Germans had Pikemen and had them with their units, and my knights weren't able to beat the pikemen. A few years ago, I negotiated a fair peace (neither side gave anything to the other), and that was that, at least until I get cavalry. (I'm making a beeline for it right now, and musketmen are in the way, so I'll have good defenders.)

I got a great leader in my war versus the Russians, and I made an army and put it in my capital, but I haven't put any units in it yet. I'm going to wait until the next war and put something like riflemen in it. Depending on my enemies' strengths. I just want to make it strong enough to win a battle and then run back to my capital while I build a military academy, so I can start pumping out armies in anticipation of the next big war...

Last edited by Shadowlord; April 10, 2002 at 09:50.
Old April 10, 2002, 12:46   #4
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 23:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord
I got a great leader in my war versus the Russians, and I made an army and put it in my capital, but I haven't put any units in it yet. I'm going to wait until the next war and put something like riflemen in it. Depending on my enemies' strengths. I just want to make it strong enough to win a battle and then run back to my capital while I build a military academy, so I can start pumping out armies in anticipation of the next big war...
Just don't wait for too long time. You can't have two Great Leader at the same time. They must DO something, preferrably ASAP if you go to war regularly: build wonder or create army.

Check out strategy forum 'On the utility and use of armies' for more 'facts'.

AJ
Old April 10, 2002, 15:48   #5
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 16:48
Who says you cant have more than one GL at a time? I once had 3 at once, 2 given the same turn. I'm not sure which version I was using (most likely the shipped version) because it was right after I bought the game. is that new in 1.17?
Old April 10, 2002, 15:59   #6
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 23:48
Quote:
Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
Who says you cant have more than one GL at a time? I once had 3 at once, 2 given the same turn. I'm not sure which version I was using (most likely the shipped version) because it was right after I bought the game. is that new in 1.17?
I've installed 1.17f since released and the one prior to it.

IIRC since then having more than 2 GL's at the same time is 100% impossible. You can build/form as many armies as you wish though.

AJ
Old April 10, 2002, 21:07   #7
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

No, no, I turned the GL into an army right away, I just didn't put any units into it.
Old April 10, 2002, 21:27   #8
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

It's 1660 AD now. I've in the Industrial ages, and I have Nationalism, Steam Power, and Communism. I have just initiated a revolution to Communism (from Monarchy).

In the last 500 or so years, I have exterminated the Germans, and reduced the Chinese to 1 city. I have also made contact with all the other civilizations, and have a complete map of both continents and ocean routes between them both, as well.

My continent (the east one) is split like north and south america, with an isthmus connecting them. I am in the west of the North continent, and the Japanese are in the east of the North continent. The south half of the south continent is controlled by France. The north half of the south continent, and the isthmus and the very southernmost part of the north continent is controlled by India.

The west continent is controlled by 9 different civilizations.