Old April 9, 2002, 22:07   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 22:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A small request....:)
'evening all!

Just wanted to make a small on-topic/off-topic request here and explain why the request is being made.

I was wondering if I could interest anybody who's gotten ahold of and enjoyed the SMAX guide to head to the booksurge site and perhaps jot down a few words in the way of a review?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm getting more and more deeply involved in the new company, Velocigames, and we're inching steadily closer to having a playable demo. Still some ways off, but it's coming...and it's gonna be awesome.....

So...what I'm hoping is, that I can make use of some favorable reviews from my publication work (Smax guide, soon to be released Guardians, and not long after, Five Days in May), to help get some attention focused on the Courts of Candle'Bre when it's ready to roll....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.booksurge.com/author.php3...ntID=GRTU00118

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 9, 2002, 23:08   #2
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'd be happy to give it a shot (even though to date I only have the version that appeared here).
I think I'd rather not be the first one up to the plate though. Its a little intimidating
Old April 9, 2002, 23:11   #3
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:48
How about:

"I got the smax guide by Velocyrix and now the BABES are all over me. I having so much sex now I hardly have time to work. Every time I read a new chapter, I get a couple of new super models or other hot babes. All this and I have not even read the chapter on fusion powered implant enhancement or quantum powered sex toys yet."
Old April 9, 2002, 23:35   #4
ravagon
King

It's going to be hard to top that one ...
Old April 10, 2002, 02:10   #5
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I am George W. Bush and I bought Vel's strategy guide and it has changed my life.

His tips taught me which faction to choose to get double votes and how to bribe effectively. Can you say Florida baby! Ali bye bye.
The boost in my commerce rating from being planetary president is buff.

I have read and reread his section on the metagame. Applying his tips I am now using my puppet governments in the Middle East to soften up that region prior to lauching my final invasion.

I'll never be able to thank Vel enough for giving me that idea of building punishment spheres for all these liberal drones. Can you say nerve staple Hillary?

Vel's book is better'n Nolan Ryan in heat , but you got to be careful trying to read it and eat. I like to choked to death on a pretzel looking at those pics of Dee running naked.

Old April 10, 2002, 11:43   #6
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Ohhh man did I ever need a laugh, and those were....jaw dropping! ::shaking my head::

You guys rock! LOL...Although now I'm QUITE curious as to what, if anything I'll find over at booksurge....think I might mosey that way....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old April 10, 2002, 13:02   #7
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Done

Submitted

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 10, 2002, 13:52   #8
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Do you really want me to put that reveiw there, it might not be entirely appropriate, after all I have only read your former SMAC guide, not the one for SMAC-X.
Old April 10, 2002, 17:08   #9
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Ummm Vel,

How does one see what reviews folks have done so far?

Just interested.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 10, 2002, 17:21   #10
Velociryx
staff

Brother Og! Thank ya man! I *do* appreciate it!

Now...as to your question....Hmmm...I don't know! LOL....just tried to find that out, and saw no means of doing so from the site proper, so I shot an e-mail over to the folks at Booksurge inquiring about that....will update ya here as soon as I hear back from them!

And Lefty...lol...sure....that sounds like a MOST intriguing endorsement...

-=Vel=-
Old April 10, 2002, 20:13   #11
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Well, I submitted it, but i do not think it pass muster. You get this message when you submit.

"Thank you for your submission. It will be reviewed shortly. Please note that all submissions must be screened for inappropriate content. Due to this, your review will not be displayed on the site immediately."
Old April 11, 2002, 08:22   #12
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 19:48
Vel, nice to see you again! I'll submit my review to the site as soon as I can (I'm at work now), even though I only have your original version (SMAC-only).
Old April 11, 2002, 11:37   #13
SITS
King

Done!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old April 11, 2002, 13:40   #14
Velociryx
staff

Thanks again guys! And brother Og! Yours is the first official reader review, and is up on the booksurge site! Thanks man!

-=Vel=-
Old April 11, 2002, 13:44   #15
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I'm honored to be of service. 'course it would have been better if i spell checked (definitive instead of difinitive). Ahhh well.....

Old April 15, 2002, 17:03   #16
Velociryx
staff

Not to worry, brother Og! And I'm happy to say that Og's review has been joined by two others! With these in hand, and whatever others may follow, I feel as though I'm arming up quite nicely to tackle the even greater challenge of building an entirely new game and getting the word out.

I loved writing the SMAX guide, no doubt about that. And part of what I loved about it was that it was a genuinely hard thing. Difficult to figure out how to say, what to say, what order to say things in so that it would not be totally overwhelming to someone coming into the game sight unseen.

Having done that though, and with these high marks reviews in hand, I think I'm pretty well positioned to try my hand at something even harder.

Envisioning a game world, detailing it sufficiently myself, and through endless rounds of discussion with the other members of Velocigames that people with skills I don't posess (coding, art, etc) can help me breathe life into it....and doing that is a tough thing by itself, but to do all that in a way that the end result is addictive and fun to play....that's a rare bird, but we're inching closer.

Every day, we're inching closer....

Thanks to everyone who's written in so far, and to those who may decide to later.

Your words here on a guide that has nothing in particular to do with the game I'm working on, will prove to be instrumental in its success....and for that, I cannot thank you enough....

-=Vel=-
Old April 15, 2002, 19:10   #17
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Erm - sorry abut my continuing lack of doing anything. Uni's taking a lot more time that I expected. Silly really, here I am at a top university, doing a well-hard degree with only a (relatively) moderate intelligence, a programming project to be handed in in, oh, a fortnight and exams in a month and a half - and I've got no spare time! What is the world coming to...

I may just about get a play-test game done at some point, but otherwise I'm well out for the moment.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old April 15, 2002, 23:20   #18
ravagon
King

Mines there too. Rereading it methinks it may've gone a bit overboard. Oh well. At least I spelled definitive correctly.

Darnit. I guess Lefty's didn't make it. What a pity ...
Old April 16, 2002, 13:04   #19
Fitz
King

Local Time: 14:48
My review should be up shortly. I kept it short, but I tried hard to pull out the stops on my professionalese.

It's definately the best game guide I have ever seen Vel. Make sure to keep us up on what's happening with yer gaming company.
Old April 16, 2002, 22:05   #20
Velociryx
staff

Will do guys, and again...thank you....

-=Vel=-
Old April 17, 2002, 14:39   #21
Velociryx
staff

As requested, an update on Velocigames:

Just spent the weekend checking out a little town nestled in the mountains of North Carolina, and I think it'd make the PERFECT home for the tiny company.

Saluda, NC, perm. pop 577

It's beautiful, less than an hour's drive from four full-fledged cities (more like half an hour, truth be told), LOTS of beautiful, inspiring scenery to keep the creative juices flowing, and there's a building on main street that's been standing empty for approximately three years that would be PERFECT! It's recently been restored, and is an old Train Depot....had the pleasure of talking with the folks down at City Hall, the local Constabulatory forces (four in all, with one car between them), checked out three of the six restaurants in town, and got a feel for the locals....I like the place! Definite potential there!

Pictures available soon on my website of the town, the building I've got my eye on, and other sites about town....

-=Vel=-
Old April 17, 2002, 18:22   #22
Fitz
King

Local Time: 14:48
I forgot to ask an important question. Are you guys hiring?
Old April 19, 2002, 09:25   #23
Velociryx
staff

Hiya Fitz! Actually, yes we are (in a manner of speaking). No money yet, but the folks that are involved with the project at this stage are guaranteed a seat on the train when we pull out of the station toward incorporation.

At this stage, what we're really short on are Artists to make the game look pretty and a sound guy. Out of twenty people we've got writers, testers, coders in fairly plentiful supply, but only two artists and no one on sound....yet!

-=Vel=-