Old April 11, 2002, 01:40   #1
Tormund
Settler

Local Time: 08:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
World Map - Starting Latitude Known!
Do you always start a game and look at your world map on the bottom left hand side of the screen?

Your location on the map clearly tells you what your latitude is. This I find biases the direction of expansion that I will then take.

My suggestion would be to have the world map always show my civ in the centre of that world map until I have obtained information to cause me to think otherwise. (Maybe when map making is discovered.) However, I can see how this might be more trouble than it is worth.

Thoughts?
Old April 11, 2002, 02:03   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't usually notice. I'll usually explore until I hit tundra and then focus on exploring in the opposite direction.
Old April 11, 2002, 05:02   #3
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 23:51
Knowing one's approximate latitude is effectively a quite useful indication at the beginning, but I especially use exploration to determine how to develop my empire : of course it depends on the type of terrain, but also on neighbours and available ressources (especially luxuries).
Old April 11, 2002, 06:01   #4
cephyn
Settler

Local Time: 22:51
Me caveman Og. Me know that land me live in is cold. To south, gets colder. Me avoid south. Me know that cousin Ug in cavetribe to north live by coconut tree. Me expand Og tribe in Ug-erly direction.

Latitude shmatitude, even geese know what direction to migrate when it gets cold -- to the less cold place. I'm not too worried about the latitude thing...i think it gives a 'natural' advantage on which way to expand. Besides, if you randomize the weather properties, for all you know it could be a warm world and there's plenty of grassland at the high latitudes. 8)
Old April 11, 2002, 19:11   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
But it would be cool if the minimap was centered on your starting position : if you look at world maps in the US, they're America centered, they're Europe centered in Germany, and east-Asia centered in Japan. I suppose it's India centered in India etc. Every Civ enjoys to think itself as the center of the world I guess.
Old April 11, 2002, 19:36   #6
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 18:51
I knew this, and I consider it intended by firaxis.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old April 11, 2002, 19:40   #7
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 17:51
Sounds similier to the idea to drag the mini map around on some other thread.

It would help a bit to move the mini map around.
Old April 11, 2002, 23:44   #8
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

knowing your starting latitude actually makes quite a bit of sense....

say you start close to the south pole, and you can see this on your map. any IRL civ that started close to a south pole would, 10 times out of 10, settle further and further north... because they rather get to a warmer climate.

Knowing Longitude isn't really a factor in any way... cuz it doesnt have a whole lot to do with anything (other than keeping track of time). But for latitude, any barbarian could care how close to the equator they are.. and im guessing by 4000 B.C., a human was smart enough to figure out they weren't exactly in the best place if they were freezing 10 months of the year.

So, it is very natural to have a feeling of what latitude you are at... and its very natural to want to migrate in a certain direction because of that feeling.
Old April 12, 2002, 08:40   #9
The Rook
Warlord

Personally, I'd love to see Civ4 played on a globe instead of a map. They could make it so that it toggles to the map. Of course the map would look differently than it does now.

###################
###################
###################
###################
###################
###################
###################
###################

Civ3 Map

OOOOOOO##########OOOOOOO
OOOO################OOOO
O######################O
########################
########################
########################
O######################O
OOOO################OOOO
OOOOOOO##########OOOOOOO

Civ4 Map

O = unplayable square

That way, the map can properly wrap around a globe.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:34   #10
Thrawn05
King

You know Rook, I've been playing with that idea for a long time. It's a good idea. The problem is trying not to overload current systems. More and more 3d games are only playable on $3000 computer systems.

But still, it would be the hard to work to get it to work. That would be a big improvement to the current "Age of Empires" view of many strategy games, without takeing to the extrem of a Force Commander 3D flying camera.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:47   #11
The Rook
Warlord

Yeah, but Civ4 probably won't be out for another 3 years anyway. By that time, the PC's should be able to handle it.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:54   #12
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:51
Quote:
Originally posted by cephyn
Me caveman Og. Me know that land me live in is cold. To south, gets colder. Me avoid south. Me know that cousin Ug in cavetribe to north live by coconut tree. Me expand Og tribe in Ug-erly direction.
Og like cold weather. Play real sport Hockey.

Og Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 12, 2002, 12:48   #13
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 23:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
But it would be cool if the minimap was centered on your starting position [...]
I agree, but only horizontally centered, in order to keep the latitude information.