Old April 11, 2002, 07:08   #1
arsvendg
Settler

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Expansion pack
Does anyone know anything about when an expansion pack is coming for civ3?
I've heard rumours some time now that an expansion pack is under development... is it?
And does anyone know what features it will have?
Old April 11, 2002, 08:22   #2
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Don't hold your breath. They still have to make the game work properly in the first place.

What I would like to see in the Expansion Pack is the following:

(a) At least 8 additional civs to choose from
(b) Improved city and leader lists for the existing civs, if this isn't done in a patch
(c) A set of historic scenario's (thereby introducing the new civs)
(d) Editor tools

Multiplayer will probably have to wait til the second EP.
Old April 11, 2002, 10:15   #3
arsvendg
Settler

Nooo!! I want MP now!! Single player in civ3 is starting to get boring, because most of the times one knows what the A.I. is going to do next...

Ribannah: do you have this from someone official or is it merely a guess.... ?

I really really want MP ASAP... but then again... civ3 is generally the best civ game I've ever played... so I really shouldn't complain...
Old April 11, 2002, 10:17   #4
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 22:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah

What I would like to see in the Expansion Pack is the following:

(a) At least 8 additional civs to choose from
(b) Improved city and leader lists for the existing civs, if this isn't done in a patch
(c) A set of historic scenario's (thereby introducing the new civs)
(d) Editor tools
To that list I'd add:

(e) Atleast on more UU per civ.
(f) Change AI tech trading
(G) Unit movement sequencing (PLEASE!!)

Spec.
Old April 11, 2002, 18:07   #5
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 22:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Ribannah

(d) Editor tools
With greatly reduced hard coding of variables.
Old April 12, 2002, 00:20   #6
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 17:52
Good points Ribannah, I think it is likely they will use scenarios to introduce the new civs, but they will have to have either five or ten new civs (or fifteen, or twenty...) due to the fact that they must keep balance between the five cultural regions, here's something I posted in another thread on this subject

"....But this isn't about personal opinion, we have to try to put ourselves in the shoes of Firaxis. If they only include 5 civs I believe they will be

1. Spain (representing Europe)
2. Inca (represeniting America)
3. Carthage (representing Mediterranean)
4. Arabs (representing Middle-East)
5. Mongols (representing asia)

All five of these civs either appeared in Civ 2, or in the Civ 2 text files, so there is a historical precedent to believing that these will be Firaxis' decision.

However, if they only include five they will be leaving out important civs like the Vikings, and another African civ, etc. and it is important to have another African civ, due to only one appearing in Civ 3 (Zulus, Egypt doesn't count :-P) And it is important to note that the only choices here are either 5 or ten, any number inbetween will unbalance the regions.

It is possible that the Hebrews may be included, by I think the importance of having another African civ overrides the Hebrew's historical importance

6. Vikings (Europe)
7. Mayans? (america) This one is somewhat subjective admittedly
8. Turks (Mediterranean)
9. Ethiopians (middle east)
10. Korea (asia)

I went with Ethiopians (Aksumites) over some of the other African civs due to how colorfully their extragantly dressed leaders of old can be portrayed in the game.

The one civ that I'm not so sure about is the Mayans, since the masses may seem them as too similar to the Inca, it is possible that Firaxis will include the Sioux, but that would go against their statement that the Iroquois are to represent the entirety of the North-American tribes."

Any thouguhts?
Old April 12, 2002, 01:34   #7
Akron
Prince

New civs may be nice, but personally I'd much rather see more resources go into making scenarios and a decent editor, along with added units and techs. Some tweaks of the existing tech tree would also be nice. The spaceship victory really has to be pushed back, as it screws up the modern age.

Also, the cultural groups dont have to balance. Right now there are 4 European civs and 3 of everything else. They just need to keep it close. They could possibly add another cultural group or break a current one apart if it will help in balancing out the sizes.
Old April 12, 2002, 09:14   #8
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Monkspider,

I fear that you're right they will fall back on civs that were used before, but
since there is no world balance now, I see no need to make it a multiple of 5
(also remember that not all the parts of the world are of the same size).

What they should do, but probably won't, is to use the material we Apolytoners have gathered on the civs we voted for.

Personally I would love to play a westbound colonialism scenario introducing Spain, Portugal, the Dutch, the Inca (or rather Tiahuanaco, the Inca rule was just one dynasty of a prolonged empire) and the Maya, and an eastbound one adding Arabia, Polynesia and maybe Mali. Hmm, that makes 8 new cives already.

If they correct the Iroquois leaders list and UU, which is easy enough, there should be no problem with having the Sioux in the game.
Old April 12, 2002, 10:05   #9
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

If they "free-up" the editor wouldnt we be able to add whatever civs we want. Of course, creating the UU's and other graphics for those civs would take much more time.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 21, 2002, 13:14   #10
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 18:52
A couple things I'd like to see in any expansion pack...

1)More diplomatic options. Let us actually use the United Nations, ala the planetary council in SMAC. Include proliferation treaties for nuclear weapons, scientific treaties, hell, steal the pollution treaty from CTP 2. Let us pay other civs to declare war on our enemies; one of my favorite actions from Civ2.

2) More technologies. And along with that, more futurisitic units. The Modern Tank and Radar Artillery as the peak of weapon tech. is pretty ridiculious.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old April 21, 2002, 16:24   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i believe that the ability to add more than one uu per civ would be great, but you know what i really want.
Old April 21, 2002, 19:32   #12
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

"Let us pay other civs to declare war on our enemies; one of my favorite actions from Civ2. "

How is this different from buying an alliance with a civ against another civ?
Old April 21, 2002, 20:22   #13
Coracle
Prince

Re: Expansion pack
Quote:
Originally posted by arsvendg
Does anyone know anything about when an expansion pack is coming for civ3?
I've heard rumours some time now that an expansion pack is under development...
After their beta Civ 3 Firaxis will have a lot of nerve to charge us anything for it; it will likely be another beta product anyway. No sale.
Old April 21, 2002, 21:04   #14
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Re: Re: Expansion pack
I would also like to see an extra UU, mostly because of those civs with non-land units (Americans, British) that aren't terribly useful.

Are the current civs balanced in number for cultural groups? I wasn't aware of that... it seems like there are an awful lot of european civs. I think that we need more african Civs, and I would like to see Ghana or Mali (the ancient empires, not the modern like-named former colonies. No clue on what the UU would be though...

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
After their beta Civ 3 Firaxis will have a lot of nerve to charge us anything for it; it will likely be another beta product anyway. No sale.
I'm getting tired of this. Where's your factual basis for this? Every post you have made recently is only a bitter rant.
Old April 21, 2002, 21:08   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Expansion pack
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
I'm getting tired of this. Where's your factual basis for this? Every post you have made recently is only a bitter rant.
the facts have never stopped Coracle before, I daresay they will in the future.
Old April 21, 2002, 21:34   #16
Kyle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000
"Let us pay other civs to declare war on our enemies; one of my favorite actions from Civ2. "

How is this different from buying an alliance with a civ against another civ?
Last time I checked (though I could be wrong), when you make an alliance with another civ against a third one, you go to war with them. By paying them to attack a third civ, your hands can stay clean and you get to watch as the other two bash their proverbial heads in.

I'd also like to see the Refrigeration/Farm tile improvement return. I tend to get large cities having shortages.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc