Old April 4, 2001, 11:59   #1
ajbera
Prince

Local Time: 00:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A plea from the optically challenged
And no, I'm not referring to correctible flaws.

As it stands, we don't know how many players will be allowed in a Civ3 game, but I (and many others) hope for the ability to have more than 7 or 8 civs per game. One of the successes of CtP is that capability - I still frequently play CtP, using mods, against 15 AI opponents. One drawback, though: I'm freakin' colorblind. The palette of colors CtP uses for extended civs doesn't have sufficient differentiation for me to adequately tell who I'm bombarding (I keep destroying Thailand's ships when I'm warring against the Portugese. Needless to say, Thailand is not particularly understanding of my problems.)

Therefore, if you intend on allowing a fairly large number of civs, either by default or after modification, could you do one of the following: use colors that are easily distinguished from each other, or use stripes, dots, or other chracteristics to make unit shields/flags easier to differentiate. I personally prefer the latter concept, if feasible, as this would somewhat simulate the diverse features of national flags.

I recognize that those who share my plight are a minority, but it is mighty aggravating. Barring implementation of my scheme, the ability to highlight a foreign unit, and, if the civ has been previously encountered, being told what civ it is from, would go a long way toward preventing unfortunate international incidents.

-Adam
Old April 4, 2001, 13:09   #2
Roman
King

I sympathise with you, but let me point out that we don't even know whether it will be possible to have 15 civs in one game. I certainly hope so, though.
Old April 4, 2001, 14:04   #3
Fintilgin
Chieftain

I hope they do have unique flags for each civilization, it would be a very nice touch. They are trying to make each civilization be more unique after all...

Joe
Old April 5, 2001, 00:16   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You make a valid point Adam and I agree, there should be something (maybe different styles of flags) to differentiate between civs other than just by color. I'm not color blind, and even I will sometimes confuse the light blue with the regular blue and attack the wrong civ!
Old April 5, 2001, 00:26   #5
jglidewell
Warlord

Local Time: 19:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Your not alone and not in the minority.

Contrast is the key to giving info on identity. Our eyes respond and focus to high frequencies in the picture(contrast)first and then if neccessary strain(stare) the lesser freqs(limited pallet) second.

Limited palletes will only set the mood. And the mood of a civ game is too far ranging to limiting it to one set pallet.

If your main purpose is to set one mood thoughout the game then use one unified pallet. IE. Earth tones as in the city view PIC. You will not see a bright blue nor a bright yellow there.

I want contrast.

Best Graphics (IMHO)
1.Civ I
2.Civ II
3.SMAC (The maps are great here, but the tiles(colors and art) actually suck)
Old April 5, 2001, 03:28   #6
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:50
Sure, help colour blinded people!

I'm not supporting this only for "politically correct" feeling, or because my younger son is probably suffering same visual limits (still too young to know for sure), so growing he risk to miss my oldies favourite games.

I have some trouble by myself, anytime I play games on my notebook in bad light condition (e.g. on train, while commuting).

I understand graphic team already had enough trouble to address, but I'm sure this accessibility problem is fitting a place into their professional know-how.

------------------
Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
Old April 5, 2001, 07:12   #7
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Local Time: 01:50
It would also help if you could see the name of the tribe it belongs to, when right-clicking on a foreign unit.