Old April 5, 2001, 15:12   #1
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
A long-winded plea for eye-candy
There are a number of threads on the board right now that are discussing what some refer to as eye/ear candy (epic intros, wonder cut-scenes, history of your empire recaps, throne rooms etc.). People seem to be in two broad camps. There is one camp that seems to think that these are resource hogging distractions while the other group seems to want them done in an as awe-inspiring way as possible. Polls 16 and 17 touch on the issue, as do the "how to make CivIII epic" and "perfect intro" threads.

Currently, Firaxis seems to be divided on the topic. They have made some statements which indicate that they are leaning away from "interruptions" that people just escape out of. Yet at the same time the CGW cover story (which I got a copy of last week - Yay!) shows that the designers are so concerned about the "look and feel" that they are using Brueghel's (sp?) Tower of Babel as their artistic muse - which is a very epic-feeling painting.

Unfortunately, the net result of those two hints is that it seems that Firaxis is thinking about relying on static gaming elements (maps, unit designs, backgrounds, etc.) to convey the "epic" nature of the game.

That is a bad idea.

Computer strategy games have three big advantages over board games. First, they keep track of all the numbers and pieces (which is incredibly important - try playing the board game Europa if you want to see how crazy keeping track of numbers and units can get) thus freeing up the designer and allowing as many calculations and statistics as may be required to get game-play and realism appropriately balanced. Second, they can simulate opponents (for better or worse). We all agree that those two basic elements of computers should be utilised by Firaxis to the utmost.

But the third benefit of computers is where Sid has always separated himself from the Avalon Hill gang. Computers allow the designer to help the player experience the game. Music, video, customizable text, speeches, 3D renderings - all of these tools allow Sid to suck us into his games so that we come out, bleary eyed, three straight days later wondering how we could have spent so much time just trying to teach Miriam the true meaning of fear without joining her in the abyss of fundamentalism.

Yes, I agree that if not wielded with a deft touch, "eye candy" can be a hindrance. Kind of like those overly ornate chairs that have so much carving on them you can't lean back without impaling your neck on a faux antler.

But that is not an argument against eye-candy, it is an argument against bad eye-candy.

Yes Firaxis, we want you to make us a great strategy game. But more importantly we want a great computer strategy game. Use all of the tools you've got to build us an environment that sucks us in and grabs us for days on end.

- It should have a fantastic sound track, keyed to the mood of the game at the moment (if I've got every city pumping out military units I want the "Emperor's March" from Star Wars not "Spring" from Vivaldi's "Four Seasons").

- It should have an epic intro (whether pre-packaged or dynamic a la Admiral Naismith)

- It should have some in game reminder of the history and accomplishments of our civ (whether a throne room, a gradually woven Bayeux tapestry, a gradually written history of our civ or whatever works)

And it should have whatever else a great designer needs to make me come to at four a.m. wondering whether I should stop for lunch.

- Echinda
Old April 6, 2001, 00:56   #2
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 18:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I really agree.
Even though this comment should probably be in the other thread (the one dealing with the intro) i'll put it here also.

Theres a big difference between the intro that plays everytime you load the program, and an intro that plays at the start of each new game.

The one that plays at the start of each new game should be the one you focus on. That's the one that I will watch every time. And i think alot of other players will as well.

Think back to civ1. . that one had that kind of intro. I watched it every time. Civ2 on the other hand, did not. I can hardly even remember the intro to civ2. A few other games too. (ie, black and white has a FANTASTIC intro of this sort)

Thats the kind of thing you want to do.