Old April 13, 2002, 20:04   #1
Talent
Settler

Local Time: 17:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Original Alpha Centauri
I am in Alpha Centauri Withdrawal. many years ago, I installed Alpha centauri and became hooked (of course).
A few more years passed and then I installed Alien Crossfire. from then on I played all my AC from the Alien Crossfire CD.
I have upgraded to a better computer and now I CAN"T FIND MY ORIGINAL Alpha Centauri CD!
it's gone!
I wept, but now what to do?
I can't find it anywhere!!! nobody carries it anymore. I'm in Toronto, Canada. If anyone out there knows where I can get it please help.
(or if you have it and can e-mail me the files i can then install it (the original AC is a relativelt small game)

P.S.: I don't mean to offend any sensibilities and of course if legality is an issue, please tell me where I can purchase the original because it seems that it doesn't exist anymore (everybody has moved on to bigger and better(?) things like civ ctp and civ3...well... I'm getting civ3 this week so I'll see about that)

thanks a lot.
Old April 15, 2002, 11:12   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 15:59
Do yourself a favour. Forget about buying Civ3.

SMAC is still out there if you look hard enough. SMACX is the tough one to find.
Old April 15, 2002, 11:36   #3
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 18:59
Heah Talent,
I just saw SMAC at MediaPlay the other day for $10 US. The company offering it was EA (Electronic Arts). Maybe if you stop by the local MediaPlay outlet, they can order it for you. Hope this helps!

D

-=Vel=-
Old April 15, 2002, 22:39   #4
Talent
Settler

forget it? really? is it that bad? (you know I'm gonna get ti anyway...I mean i couldn't live with myself if I didn't get it...but you know you aren't the first person who has told me to forget about it. i guess for you it's like watching a car crash from a distance...you know what's going to happen...but there's nothing you can do to...lol

I have SMACX by itself (I bought it just before they were packaging them all together as a twin pack) if you or anyone out there would like to organise a trade...so much the better.

also if anyone wants SMACX from me... th'as cool.

thanks for the reply (I'll go check on EA to see if I can get it there.

Later.

Antoine (talent)
Old April 15, 2002, 22:42   #5
Talent
Settler

i'll also check Media play (if there's on in toronto) there was a store called mediascape here that rocked: so many games for real cheap..but they went belly up.. I guess that's maybe why they were so cheap (ha.) since they died I've been a little strapped for good computer game outlets here in toronto.

thanks for the reply (I'll check out EA though)

Later.

Antoine (talent)
Old April 15, 2002, 23:30   #6
Evil Robot
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:59
I like Civilization 3.

So sue me.
Old April 15, 2002, 23:55   #7
Knave75
Settler

I bought this game in Missassauga (right next to Toronto) at Electronic Boutique in Square One for $10... they had about 5 copies too when I bought it (and that was about 3 months ago)
Old April 16, 2002, 00:31   #8
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

EB is good at checking around at their other outlets in your area for a game. Last time I saw it there it was strictly deep-discount, no manual, CD only version.

Evil Robot, I have no plans of suing you.

I should clarify my comments because I shouldn't slag a game I never played. I loved SMAC, SMACX, Civ and Civ2. Based on comments from other gamers who felt the same way, I decided not to purchase Civ3. I made a huge mistake buying CtP based on the hype and reviews and not the valued opinions of fellow gamers and since then I have been a lot more cautious.
Old April 16, 2002, 05:49   #9
MariOne
King

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Er... I know that duplicating CDs is illegal, but you should be granted the right to make a "back-up" CD copy when you buy it.

I know that I was able to copy the SMAC cd, while some protection mechannism (making the CD-writing sw available to me to read a defective track) made it impossible to copy SMAX (whithout more advanced CD-copy SW, that is).
{and that should raise serious right infringements here in Europe, if only someone would bother to file a suit against EA...}

If you find some other SMACer near you (so that post fares are affordable) you could get a SMAC CD-copy from someone.
As you had legally bought the CD in the first place, it would just be the "back-up copy" you have right to and that you forgot to store at the time...
Of course I'm not a lawyer, so I can't guaranteee you law safety. I just say that your conscience should be tranquil in doing so.

Oh, and don't buy CivIII.
Old April 16, 2002, 10:07   #10
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:59
Quote:
Originally posted by MariOne
Oh, and don't buy CivIII.

Seems to be a common theme amongst SMAC die hards.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old April 17, 2002, 14:37   #11
Talent
Settler

thankx everyone for all the replies. it seems that i started something (ie war between civ and SMAC)

all i can say about that is this: for me, civ is agame. a VERY GOOD game but a game none the less... SMAC is more like a lifestyle (with the factions and the different strategies...it's more of a following which is why SMAC diehards are more..let's say...emphatic!)

and as for the legal issue (although i don't think anyone should contact lawyers yet) I like your "backup' angle BUT i want to make something clear, regardless, as soon as i can find SMAC I WILL buy it! just out of an honour thing...It's such a grreat game that i feel the developpers deserve my $$$.

I'll check out those sites and that location in the saugs, thanks all.

later.

Talent.
Old April 17, 2002, 14:39   #12
Talent
Settler

Oh one more thing.

there used to be that SMAC site to play games online. Does anyone know of how a SMAC afficionado would find good network games (without droppers or passers-by)
to set up?

any takers.

as soon as i get my SMAC i'd liketo get back to playing/

is apolyton a good location?

later.

talent
Old April 17, 2002, 15:30   #13
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Apolyton is indeed a great place to hook up with others for multiplayer games. Just check out the multiplayer forum. I think there is even a sign-up thread somewhere.

An alternative is the Civilization Gamer's Network. As well, they have recently added a series of articles to help you improve your game so it is worth checking out.

Planet ACOL has been a bit quieter lately, but I did notice someone there recently that was looking for more players.
Old April 19, 2002, 19:31   #14
Lucy In The Sky
Chieftain

Talent, I've 2 jewel-case-only versions of Alpha Centauri (not boxed, no manual, no tech tree poster) still w/the Best Buy $9.99 stickers on the unbroken cellophane wrappers. Cover my cost + 0.065% sales tax + shipping & one of them can be yours. PM me if interested.
Old April 19, 2002, 22:50   #15
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Wall Mart has SMAC for about $10.00

Costco has a 10 game pack for 19.99, that includes SMAC.

There are some recent threads for getting SMAX from Engand:

http://www.planetacol.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000565.html
Old April 22, 2002, 18:32   #16
Dreifels
Prince

Local Time: 23:59
Re: Original Alpha Centauri
Quote:
Originally posted by Talent
I have upgraded to a better computer and now I CAN"T FIND MY ORIGINAL Alpha Centauri CD!
it's gone!
I wept, but now what to do?
see at http://alpha-centauri-stuff.cjb.net/ and/or contact me by ICQ
Old April 22, 2002, 19:48   #17
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucy In The Sky
Talent, I've 2 jewel-case-only versions of Alpha Centauri (not boxed, no manual, no tech tree poster) still w/the Best Buy $9.99 stickers on the unbroken cellophane wrappers. Cover my cost + 0.065% sales tax + shipping & one of them can be yours. PM me if interested.
0.065%? As in 6.5 pence (cents) in every 100 pounds (dollars)?
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old April 22, 2002, 21:38   #18
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by big_canuk
Wall Mart has SMAC for about $10.00

Costco has a 10 game pack for 19.99, that includes SMAC.

There are some recent threads for getting SMAX from Engand:

http://www.planetacol.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000565.html
Hey BC, what are the 10 games in the Costco pack? I remember getting a 5 game pack that included MOOI and MOOII, MoM and a couple of Xcom games for 20$. Needless to say, it was one of the best bargains I have ever received.

Of course I got the planetary pack from Costco (actually is was both games seperately boxed and wrapped in shrink wrap together a few month before the PP came out), and it has to rank as one of the best game values ever as well.
Old April 22, 2002, 23:25   #19
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

The money I spent on Civ3 was well worth it as I have taken it as a lifetime right to ***** about Firaxis on the forum here, to Mark's total annoyance.

Old April 23, 2002, 00:11   #20
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
The money I spent on Civ3 was well worth it as I have taken it as a lifetime right to ***** about Firaxis on the forum here, to Mark's total annoyance.

You too? Seriously I only sortie into the Civ 3 forums once a month or so, but my fury at paying good money for that game is subsiding slowly. Now I'm just bummed beacuse a classic game has been forever besmirched by a low quality dumbed down product. IMO nothing was improved over Civ 2.
Old April 23, 2002, 02:39   #21
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 23:59
Personally I can live with the money spent on Civ3. Its the money they deserved for SMAC, while what I paid for SMAC is just right for Civ3 ...
Old April 23, 2002, 09:15   #22
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Banner ad at the bottom of forum page shows SMAC available at Amazon for $9.99 US
Old April 23, 2002, 09:49   #23
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Damn, you got there before me. Oh well, since I posted this it makes very little difference anyway.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old April 23, 2002, 23:51   #24
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

Hey BC, what are the 10 games in the Costco pack? .
They were games like NHL 2000, and things like that. Typically 1 or 2 years out of date, but a great value none the less. Iirc, there was one or 2 other strat games in it to, and there were 2 dif packs, one red, the other blue.

bc
Old April 24, 2002, 02:19   #25
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Staples still has some jewel-case SMACs in their bargain bins here in Vancouver
Old April 24, 2002, 07:44   #26
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ebay frequently has games like Civ2 and SMAC available for bid at about US$2, and there's hardly likely to be anyone else who'll beat out your bid.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 26, 2002, 22:27   #27
SirVincealot
Settler

Compucenter in the TEC (you know what that is, yes?) has the EA "gold box" for $10 (without the 200 page manual, of course)

EBX in Yorkdale has the same for same price.

EBoutique at Eglinton/Yonge also had it last time I went.

Check GameZone (?) just below EBoutique as well - it's that two level strip mall where Silver Snail North used ot be...

Good luck
SIrVincealot
Old April 28, 2002, 21:02   #28
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Local Time: 18:59
you already bought the game once. you should be able to download it without it bothering you. i dont see why it would...unless you didnt pay for the first copy ^_^

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old May 2, 2002, 16:46   #29
Talent
Settler

thanx to everyone!
you guys are all amazing! (little tears)
I'm picking up Alpha Centauri at Yonge & Eglinto E-boutique right now!!
Later,
Antoine.

P.S.: that link is great too. thanx.