Old April 15, 2002, 10:38   #1
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Back to un-mod-ed game
I started playing Civfanatics GOTM6 this weekend playing with an un-mod-ed game for the first time in months. The savegame wouldnt let me use my mod. I dont know why!

Although its only at warlord, it was kind of interesting because of the limited resource setup. Anyway I'm easily in the lead and get steam power first. I've got lots of workers ready to add railroads everywhere and crank up the industry. Of course I have no coal (also no iron or saltpeter) and no one will trade for it. OK, thats what wars are for. Up until this point I've no complaints about the un-mod-ed game. It was interesting!

But then, in virtually my first combat, I lose an elite and a veteran cav to a 1 hp conscript rifleman in open ground.

Gimme a break

-> reload game then wait till next turn, attack with elite cav spawns a GL.

Two [U]totally[U] different results based on the same combat!

This is what bugs me about CIV3!

I can always go back to my mod where these things are less likely to occur. What concerns me is that if MP uses the same bogus combat numbers (and if we dont want to use them) we'll have to do some major wheeling and dealing to have the same bic files for games wont we?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 15, 2002, 10:49   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 00:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Waiting one turn gives you a new random number generator seed, that's all. Btw, reloading in the GOTM's is not allowed.

I'm playing this game too, it's fun, although only at Warlord. I cleaned the continent of Babs and Persians, and I cleaned and settled Japan. Made me own about half of the landmass. I don't want to win by domination. Currently cleaning the World of China, England and Germany being next (and last).

These CivFanatics GOTMs are fun. What a pity that the Apolyton tournaments practically died...
Old April 15, 2002, 11:12   #3
SpencerH
Emperor

I'm not going to post it so I'm not worried about one re-load. Its the random number that makes a difference though! I've ***ched about these combat results before. I think there's something funny here!

I mostly a builder so I was happy trading for iron and saltpeter. I gotta have coal though so I formed an alliance with the babs and attacked the persians circa 1450. I've taken one city so far I just want one more (with the coal) then I'll be "Mr. Peace" again until the oil and rubber become a problem .
Old April 15, 2002, 11:23   #4
Harovan
staff

I have now 7 luxuries, one era tech lead (I have Replacable Parts, they just got Navigation) and no problems with strategic resources. See how Civ3 awards peaceniks! And I once was a builder too... But playing Gandhi the bloodthirsty warmonger is FUN!

Btw: War Elephants are a lousy UU, but give a GA in a wonderful time .
Old April 15, 2002, 11:41   #5
SpencerH
Emperor

Well they're not a bad UU compared to no saltpeter therfore no cav (plus I upgrade em when I get the saltpeter back.

I was going to try to not go on the warpath at all, but no such luck. I got my GA with colossus (?). The funny thing was I had a huge culture lead at one point but no enemy cities flipped. Doesnt that happen at warlord?
Old April 15, 2002, 11:48   #6
Harovan
staff

It does. I've had the 3rd city flipping in that game. To me, of course, as I have 2/3 of the overall culture.
Old April 15, 2002, 11:54   #7
SpencerH
Emperor

I guess the bab cities (just west of the bottleneck) were too close to their capitol to flip to me.
Old April 15, 2002, 12:03   #8
Harovan
staff

That might be. I had a Persian city flipping to me, after I made a free palace jump to an extorted formerly Persian city. I would have taken it anyway, my Persian campaign started just a few turns later. I killed Babylon with Horsemen, Persia with Elephants, Japan and China (still busy) with Cavalries, for England and Germany I'll probably have already tanks.

The other 2 cities flipped to me at the other continent. I built roughly 30 or 40 cities in former Japan. They were former Zulu cities, captured by England and Germany. Since the other continent is very large, these cities were about the same distance to my capital as to theirs (if not closer).
Old April 15, 2002, 12:14   #9
SpencerH
Emperor

Well we've thread-jacked this away from the original intent but the tournaments are interesting games. I just use them to compare my game to others (I dont post them). I wonder why there hasnt been an apolyton game for a while?