Old April 15, 2002, 14:51   #1
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 16:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bombardment Capability Questions
Land and water bombardment.

Okay, apparently I've done something wrong, or not enough. Prior to the current game I went into the Units.txt file to give the Ships of the Line land bombardment capabilities by adding a "CanBombard: Land" line, and cannons water bombardment ability by adding a "CanBombard: Water" line. After making the changes, I fired up a new game. When I gained these units some hours down the road, neither have the bombardment abilities I (thought) I had given them. If it matters, I am playing ApolytonPack, 11 civs, Very Hard.

Question 2: Once these units have these added bombardment abilities, will the AI know to use them?

Danke
Old April 15, 2002, 15:02   #2
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Question 3: Do questions like this belong here, or the Multi-player/Help/etc. forum?
Old April 15, 2002, 15:35   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmm, odd... Are you sure the version of units.txt that you changed is also the one used in the game (i.e. APOL_units.txt in this case, I suppose)?

Quote:
Question 2: Once these units have these added bombardment abilities, will the AI know to use them?
Yes.

Quote:
Question 3: Do questions like this belong here, or the Multi-player/Help/etc. forum?
They belong here, like all questions about how to mod the game. (The 'Help' in the 'CtP2-General/Help/Strategy/Multiplaying' forum stands for help in playing the game).
Old April 15, 2002, 15:54   #4
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quick response. Thanks.
Okay, let's assume (I am at work and do not have the game on my work system, so I can't look now) that I have altered Units.txt file, and not the Apol_Units.txt file. If these are two distinct files, then that is a possibility as good as any. If I go into the correct file and alter the bombardment capabilities (a) do I have to start a new game for them to work, and (b) if not is there anything "extra" I need to do to add those capabilities to the current game?
Old April 15, 2002, 16:48   #5
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quite frankly, I have no idea how changes in text files affect savegames. I think you'll be alright and the new settings will work fine on savegames but to be absolutely sure your changes function correctly you should probably test them on a new game (use the scenario editor (!-key) if you don't want to play an entire game before being able to see results).
Old April 15, 2002, 17:25   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:01
If its anything like the scenarios, I'd suggest starting a new game, and loading the savegame from inside the new game
Old April 16, 2002, 09:12   #7
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

If you don't add something like wonders, units, techs, goods you can make the modification and continue your game it should work. By the way the patch alters also some lines of the text files. It removes also some lines that is the reason why the message system is screwed up after the patch. So if you have afterwards some problems with your message system than just open the chat screen and enter /reloadslic like it is described in the FAQ.

-Martin
Old April 16, 2002, 11:15   #8
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Thanks for the help guys. The problem was simple, the first time I had altered the original game files instead of the Apolyton game files (hey, it was my first time trying, what can I say?) But that's taken care of and there were no problems with the units' bombardment capabilities in the save game.

Danke
Old April 16, 2002, 12:38   #9
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 19:01
While on the bombardment topic...in the Cradle GL it shows that triremes have the ability. I've tried to bombard other ships, and I've tried to bombard a city, and I just get the "no-no" symbol. What can a trireme bombard? I guess the only thing left is land units not in a city.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:39   #10
Locutus
Deity

I checked CRA_units.txt for you and Triremes can only bombard water in Cradle, that means that you should be able to bombard other ships. Are you sure you had enough movement points? Or that there wasn't a graphics glitch which made an empty tile look like it contained a ship (you can check this by moving your cursor over the tile and checking the status bar at the bottom of the control panel: if it doesn't list (a) unit(s), the tile is empty).