Old April 15, 2002, 17:15   #1
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 15:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Science trades & trajectory
Much more money can be made by a ancient age technology trading strategy. When map making comes around, everybody trades maps for technology, so everyone then is even technologically, so get a lead in troops, map position, and money then. Use minimal (10-20%) science, as long as you're spending 1 gold every turn, you will get an advance in 32 turns. Research the most advanced technology possible, for example if you are industrious research math first, because you're likely to be able to sell it.

After map making, continue to trade technologies until YOU'VE left the ancient age. If you aren't scientific, sell or give all the ancient age techs to the scientific civ that eigther : has the Great Library (he'll get it anyway) or seems the weekest, then buy Monotheism from him. Building Universities, (5) banks & Wall Street will usually cover the cost of troops, even Jaguar Warriors so Feudalism can wait.

After that, the only tech I buy then sell to everyon is Monarchy, it's overpriced, and I love watching 15 civs scramble for 1 wonder, knowing there will be 14 losers.

I do also sell to the backward ones later, especally for luxuries and resources.

As for wonders, when my science city is on the coast, I build Collossus (not much competition early). When I get Mono, I build a palace, which becomes the Sistine Chapel, when I'm reasoably sure of getting it. Then Bach's & The Observatory & Newton's. I skip Sun Tzu's & Leo's (too competitive)

I've won at Monarch, and am winning at Emporer, and have regularly won at Diety in CivII & CTP.
Old April 16, 2002, 01:00   #2
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Use minimal (10-20%) science, as long as you're spending 1 gold every turn, you will get an advance in 32 turns.
I see you haven't patched the game yet. You can get the 1.17f patch at

http://www.civ3.com/

1.21f is scheduled for Friday.

The time is 40 turns not 32 now. Likely to stay that way or even get longer in the next patch. With 1.17f don't plan on that strategy working as well. The AI trades a LOT with that. Its hard to get a tech lead till the middle ages or even till the Industrial Age on the higher levels. This may change with the patch Friday though as they got a LOT of complaints about the tech rates.

Jaguar warriors aren't so hot either. They are OK but with 1.17f the fast units only retreat half the time now. Retreat was too powerfull.

If I was you I would finish whatever game I was playing the get the new patch Friday if it comes out on schedule. Then go back dow a level in difficulty for one game at least.
Old April 16, 2002, 18:23   #3
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Ok, next time I will play with the 1.17 patch, probably as the Persians or Greeks, I played the Atzecs because I thought the Vassal Strategy would be more lucrative, in the beginning it pays to trade techs, and the cash Vassals give doesn't amount to much. The 1.17 patch should kill this strategy at high levels.
Old April 16, 2002, 18:34   #4
Ethelred
King

It always pays to trade in some sense even if you can't make as much money on it. Keeps the AI mollified. They get annoyed if you don't trade. Besides on higher levels its how I keep up on tech till the mid game.

1.21f patch is coming out Friday. I wouldn't bother with 1.17f patch in your case. Just wait till friday and dowload the new one.