Old April 16, 2002, 15:20   #1
danimal
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thank You Firaxis!
I just wanted to thank the nice folks at Firaxis for the new patch. While I don't believe it will imporve the game much, it will give us new material to complain about. So the Civ3 whining is not over and it never will be until we have Civ 4 to whine about.

"Over?...did you say it was over?...Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" - Senator John Blutarsky
Old April 16, 2002, 15:38   #2
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:04
You thank someone before reciept? I hope this patch will be good, and then will come my thankyous.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:24   #3
PsionicMind
Settler

Local Time: 18:04
Its so annoying how people whine and complain. Some people will just never be pleased
Old April 16, 2002, 16:28   #4
Spec
Emperor

Re: Thank You Firaxis!
Quote:
Originally posted by danimal
"Over?...did you say it was over?...Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" - Senator John Blutarsky
WTF was he talking about?!? The germans never bombed Pearl Harbor, the Japs did. My what an ass.

Open mouth, insert foot.

And second, what's the attitude about? You didn't even see the patch yet and you whine? And your looking forward to more whinning? Man what an exciting life you have.

Spec.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:33   #5
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 17:04
Re: Re: Thank You Firaxis!
Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator

WTF was he talking about?!? The germans never bombed Pearl Harbor, the Japs did. My what an ass.

Open mouth, insert foot.

And second, what's the attitude about? You didn't even see the patch yet and you whine? And your looking forward to more whinning? Man what an exciting life you have.

Spec.

Watch the movie "Animal House". You'll get the "Germans" joke.

Open mouth, insert foot.

Second, you're right. This is either complaining to complain or another joke. I hope it's the later.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:36   #6
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Danimal is correct : having seen the whiners for the past 6 months, it's obvious they'll whine as soon as they get the new patch, whatever it contains.
Danimal doesn't whine (at least for now), he just warns us of the imminent whining, which will sadly liven up the Forum.
I'd say "any new material coming from Firaxis will provoke whining on 'Poly" is a statement as sure as "drop an object, and it will fall".
Old April 16, 2002, 16:39   #7
ACooper
Prince

Spiffor: amen. Whining on Apolyton is a Natural Law.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:41   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i'll be satisified the second Firaxis gives me the rest of my damn game in the form of a multiplayer patch. i paid $50 for a beta and i'm pissed
Old April 16, 2002, 16:44   #9
ACooper
Prince

If you spend $50 on a game which doesn't have MP and you are mad because it doesn't have MP, who has the problem?
Old April 16, 2002, 16:44   #10
Spec
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i'll be satisified the second Firaxis gives me the rest of my damn game in the form of a multiplayer patch. i paid $50 for a beta and i'm pissed
Man, please dont tell me it's about the money. If it's just for 50 bucks, swallow it and live on. But if it's for the principal of the thing, I mean selling an unfinished game, whatever the price, then now you have a good reason to be pissed.

Spec.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:49   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

ah, but they released the game without multiplayer BECAUSE of the money. they also released it and hurried several patches and sttill have a quasi-buggy game. all because of money / pressure. money money money.

the pinnacle of capitialism indeed. shotty work at inflated prices.
Old April 16, 2002, 16:52   #12
Fitz
King

Local Time: 15:04
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
Amen to that. I even waited until after the v1.16 release and I was still getting a beta. Though I do agree it's not about the money, its about the principle.

My anger at Firaxis doesn't stop me from playing though. If I was that kind of person, my anger at the U.S. gov't would have long ago forced me to move out.
Old April 16, 2002, 17:09   #13
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
Quote:
I just wanted to thank the nice folks at Firaxis for the new patch. While I don't believe it will imporve the game much, it will give us new material to complain about. So the Civ3 whining is not over and it never will be until we have Civ 4 to whine about.

That was good. I love a good romp!
Old April 16, 2002, 19:33   #14
Encomium
Warlord

Quote:
I just wanted to thank the nice folks at Firaxis for the new patch. While I don't believe it will imporve the game much . . .
Jeez. You may be right. But let's be a LITTLE optimistic. Hope springs eternal.

I've always said the game was released six months too early. Patch 1.26 or so should get it right. Maybe.
Old April 16, 2002, 20:47   #15
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I think you were being a little optimistic on the 6 months. Lets call it an even year too early and expect the expansion, due this year just before Christmas, to be in the form of a playable game, with MP.

And, yes you will pay.........
Old April 16, 2002, 22:28   #16
Thrawn05
King

I find most gamming companies resort to MP as a cheap way of saying the game has "Replay Value".

SP is the only way to go IMHO. That shows effort, not some slapped togther piece of junk like most games today.

I'm whining about Civ3 here however. Civ3 has a really nice SP most other games lack these days.
Old April 16, 2002, 23:05   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrawn05
I find most gamming companies resort to MP as a cheap way of saying the game has "Replay Value".

SP is the only way to go IMHO. That shows effort, not some slapped togther piece of junk like most games today.

I'm whining about Civ3 here however. Civ3 has a really nice SP most other games lack these days.
so you consider making the AI cheat more took skill and genius? i'm pretty sure if you took the Red Alert 2 AI and started it with an extra 20 tanks and some buildings it would pose a decent threat to a human player. after a while, the CIV ai can't beat a human (the warmonger way), despite the rampant cheating.

i honestly stopped playing civ3 recently (poly is too fun to stop ) because i'm tired of beating the piss out of the AI as i watch it try to cheat it's way out of it's fate. empty cities all of a sudden have a large garrison, the romans have more tanks than me the SECOND they discover motorized transportation, etc.

there's always a point where the AI becomes predictable, and beatable in any case. MP is the only solution.
Old April 16, 2002, 23:10   #18
Tuberski

I don't think this game is even close enough to being balanced enough for MP. Starting locations can and probably WILL doom you in MP.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 16, 2002, 23:56   #19
Grrr
King

I think Firaxis may give us v1.22f with MP on Friday.
Old April 17, 2002, 00:29   #20
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
I think Firaxis may give us v1.22f with MP on Friday.
Now that IS wishful thinking!
Old April 17, 2002, 00:36   #21
Grrr
King

No need to loose one's optimism, is there Wittlich.
Old April 17, 2002, 00:44   #22
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Grrr!! ?

Did you know that addressing you with proper punctuation is an adventure? This isn't my real question.

My real question is how are you going to play MP with that telegraph line you call an internet connection?
Old April 17, 2002, 00:48   #23
Grrr
King

We do have 120 computers with Civ3 installed on them at school. I didn't install it .

I held a tournament last week with 35 people playing. Does that answer your question.
Old April 17, 2002, 01:01   #24
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ahhh. Civ continues it's time honoured role in education.