View Poll Results: Which threads should be topped?
Medieval Pack II v2.1: Crusade! update (by WesW) 9 18.00%
Cradle 1.3 (by hexagonian) 10 20.00%
Apolyton Pack v1.0! CTP2 the way it should be! (by Dale) 10 20.00%
TileEdit: first beta release is here (by Martin the Dane) 0 0%
World At War! (1900 - 1950) V1.03 (by Dale) 7 14.00%
GoodMod: The Mod of Goods (by Martin Gühmann) 2 4.00%
Getting Started With SLIC (by Peter Triggs) 5 10.00%
Ídeas of scenario's (by ískallin) 0 0%
NewDiplomod.slc comments.... (by Dale) 0 0%
Space Scenario (by Pedrunn) 3 6.00%
Wonder Possibilities (by Leonidas) 1 2.00%
new orders (by The Big Mc) 1 2.00%
Lord Of The Rings Scenario (by Turambar) 0 0%
MOD Chaos (by Lou Wigman) 1 2.00%
Other (please specify) 1 2.00%
None 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 16, 2002, 17:10   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Threads to top (2)
We had this thread a few months ago, time to have it again, to see if some of the new threads have become important enough: which threads in this forum do you think should be topped?

Personally I don't know, I'd sort of like to see WAW topped, but topping more than 4 threads is IMHO too much. I have no idea which mod to untop instead...
Old April 16, 2002, 19:01   #2
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
Might be better to have one topped thread for links to all the MODS threads. What I mean is untop all the MOD threads (med:crusade, cradle, apolyton, waw) and have one topped thread with links to the MOD threads. That'll cut down on the tops.
Old April 17, 2002, 01:45   #3
Lou Wigman
Warlord

Given that the Apolyton download section is either broken or not being updated I would like to see a topped thread with information about each of the 'important?' mods including links. This thread not to be used for general discussion but available only to the mod creators for update information.
Old April 17, 2002, 04:46   #4
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 23:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I agree with Dale on this(voted other), there are IMO too many good Mods at the momment!And they all deserve a look-in. There seems a natural tendency for the Mods to stay near the top, but not always(aployton would have slipped to page 2 a while back i think). A single topped link for all the Mods(those that are proven/new+exciting?) could be the answer? It will leave space for a few of the usefull threads as well(Peter's Slic etc).
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old April 17, 2002, 05:19   #5
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

to be honest toped threads get on my nerves there top they stay there for about six weeks in-between updates and they kick a smaller thread were everybody’s gone on holiday off earlier .
causing me and others the hassle of re posting to them to get them back up.

chiled of thor

I bet you watched sky one the other day
Old April 17, 2002, 08:08   #6
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:05
Tiledit shoud drop but we cant make such a important resources dificult to reach.
Locutus, yoiu gotta get Apolytons Database under your control.
-Jean Rostand
Old April 17, 2002, 08:14   #7
Pedrunn
King

I agree with Dale.
Why dont you start one Dale?
Like your attemp of mod resources. Telling about the change and link it to your thread. This way you can alway update you post always making the newest version reachable.
There are way too much mods to top all and annoy me to see that some has weeks/moths unused.
-Jean Rostand
Old April 17, 2002, 08:42   #8
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Mc
t
chiled of thor

I bet you watched sky one the other day
Big MC, no - what did i miss? I don't have sky(one of the down-sides of being the son of a Thunder god, we like to stick to the old ways ).
Actually if it's to do with with my quote it's ok - i've got the widescreen directors cut!
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old April 17, 2002, 10:24   #9
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I like the idea proposed by Dale, I'll see if I can put something like that together. Eventually we could have 2 or 3 topped threads: one referring to the major mods, one with links to documentation and maybe one with modifications, like the one Dale started a week ago or so (no, I haven't forgotten about that yet).
Old April 18, 2002, 05:53   #10
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

child of thor

yes you missed they guy who goes crom a lot.

Here is another quote for you

"do you want to live forever" guy who says crom a lots bird
Old April 23, 2002, 20:59   #11
Dale
Emperor

Locutus:

For the General forum, how bout the FAQ, the MOD Wrapup, and an introduction thread "Welcome to CTP2" for tops?
Old April 24, 2002, 13:29   #12
Locutus
Deity

Okay, here's my plan for the topped threads as it stands (this is open for feedback of course):

General:
- Multiplayer Registry: a valuable resource for our MP community, I hope it will over time get much bigger than it currently is (I *know* there are many more MP players out there)
- Tournament thread (whenever there's a tournament running)
- FAQ: Ming just cleaned it up an hour ago, very important thread for newbies
- some sort of "Welcome to CtP2" thread like Dale suggests, including my MOD wrap-up post (maybe expanded with some info on WaW and GoodMod).

Creation:
- links to mods/other projects: Cradle, MedMod, etc (unless something comes up I'll write this tonight)
- link to modmaker resources (TileEdit, SLIC guides, etc)
- Wishlist for CtP2 (or a similar thread, in case CoT's thread gets too far off-topic): our own version of "The List", only this time something will actually be done with it (hopefully)

Note that the Mod Wrapup thread can be untopped as far as I'm concerned: it only contains a handful of posts that are really interesting and the only reason why it got topped in the first place is a single post by me. No reason to devote an entire topped thread to this. It would IMHO be much better to repost the interesting stuff from that thread in a new thread which provides a general overview of the entire CtP2 community: what mods are out, what types of play (SP, MP, Succession, Tournaments, etc), where to turn for help, etc... In short, the sort of "Welcome to CtP2" thread Dale suggested.

For the Creation forum, I think a single thread with links to all important mods and scenarios and other important projects (Civ3 graphics conversion? New Diplomod?) would be the best way to go. I'm thinking of a similar thread for mod-resources: links to documentation, TileEdit, ZFS-Reader, turnlength.txt generator, etc.

Note that there's no room for a modification thread like the one Dale suggested a while ago. The big and important mods will be linked to from the "Welcome to CtP2" thread and/or the aforementioned mod thread. Smaller modifications (such as Pedrunn's Regard Faces) can be placed on my FTP-site here on Apolyton (I'll make a nice website for accessing them until the database is fully operational again) and will be added to the database once that is possible.

For SLIC code I have another, IMHO even better, solution: on my FTP account I have access to a PHP server so I'm thinking of writing a database tool for the SLIC code: one that will store the same information as in the thread started by Dale but with a search engine behind it that will allow people to search per field. So if people want to see examples of the 'BeginTurn' event in action, they can search the 'Code' field for 'BeginTurn'. If people want to download Dale's withdrawl script they can search the 'Description' field for 'Withdraw'. I haven't worked out the details yet and I'll have to dive a little deeper into PHP to see what's possible but something like that...

Ideas and feedback on any of this are very much welcome - after all, I'm doing this for the entire community, not just for myself...

Last edited by Locutus; April 24, 2002 at 13:35.
Old April 24, 2002, 18:43   #13
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
- Wishlist for CtP2 (or a similar thread, in case CoT's thread gets too far off-topic): our own version of "The List", only this time something will actually be done with it (hopefully)
Isnt that what the forum is all about to request and show new modification?
Do you think it is this important to have this thread?
-Jean Rostand
Old April 24, 2002, 19:02   #14
Locutus
Deity

Yeah, I started to doubt the minute I pressed the 'submit reply' button. My idea was to have some sort of to-do list: all kinds of interesting things to check out but for which we currently don't have to resources to fully explore... If people don't like, scratching it is fine with me. Any other ideas for threads to be topped?
Old April 25, 2002, 19:55   #15
Dale
Emperor

Locutus:

Well done mate. Pat on tha back to ya!

*When are we getting an Aussie smiley?*