Old April 16, 2002, 23:17   #1
Peppy
Settler

Local Time: 23:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How do you people do it?
Apparently people are winning the space race before Jesus walked the Earth...on diety no less.

How do you do it?

On Regent, the best I've ever done is win the race in 1960's. I always randomize everything on a huge map.

How do you guys run your uber science program.

Aside...

On a huge map, has anyone every won by complete domination?

I find the Space Race to be the least fulfilling but I haven't won any other way. Again, on a huge map, has anybody ever won by culture or diplomacy? What time period do you win in?

Thanks much.
Old April 16, 2002, 23:44   #2
Tuberski

Local Time: 18:06
Unless they go into the editor and reduce the minimum research time to 1, there is now way it is possible.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 16, 2002, 23:57   #3
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 17:06
I doubt anyone's launched much before about 1000AD, even on Deity. The AI gets a research bonus on higher levels, which makes tech progress faster. The Industrial Age can be reached in the BC's occasionally, but definitely not the Modern Age.

I've triggered Domination on a Huge Pangaea map around 500AD, Emperor level. Haven't played out a Deity game to that point, but it would take a little longer at least. Probably around 700AD.

Diplomacy is by far the easiest way to win on a Huge map. Just make sure to build the UN and stay on everyone's good side. 700AD maybe earliest on Deity.

Culture isn't too hard either, you can build hundreds of cities. Just build a temple and library in each, and 100k will be there in no time. 1000AD would again be a good target date.
Old April 16, 2002, 23:58   #4
I Am Jeff
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:06
in my current game on monarch, i have tanks and mech infantry and it is almost 1000 A.D. This is using the balancer mod. You have to remember, the year generaly does not matter as long as you are not way infront of ur opponents. If they are close to you then it can still be challenging
Old April 17, 2002, 00:02   #5
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:06
I haven't won a Civ III game full stop. The late game tedium is too much for my Celeron 366.
Old April 17, 2002, 00:02   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:06
I have the dubious honour of having completed a domination victory on a huge map with 1.07f. One worker at a time, time after time... Heh, fun. At least I didn't need to build and manage Fighters. Well, I did anyways, but they didn't really work. Their paint gleamed though.
Old April 17, 2002, 01:25   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I have won by domination several times playing on a huge pangea map, 16 civs, usually play on Monarch or Emperor.

even on my p4 1.7 it slows way down, at least until I have picked off all but a couple of the others. Actually won one like this last night, one of my more stirring victories, but alas, it crashed during the replay, so if i want, i will have to replay the entire last turn, which would take quite some time, moving hundreds of modern armor etc to attack.
Old April 17, 2002, 12:25   #8
Spec
Emperor

The higher the level is the faster the tech rate goes. Deity is insanly fast because of the AI. Apparently that 1.21 fixed that.

Spec.
Old April 17, 2002, 12:45   #9
Shadowlord
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

I'm trying to win a domination victory on a huge map in Warlord... But it's 1959 AD and I haven't finished researching Radio yet, so....
"For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Old April 17, 2002, 13:48   #10
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I always seem to be about 100 to 150 years "early," if you put the advances in their real-life historical context (i.e., industrial age in 1600)... a spaceship in BC, though, would be a real feat!
Old April 17, 2002, 13:56   #11
IthacaMike
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectator
The higher the level is the faster the tech rate goes. Deity is insanly fast because of the AI. Apparently that 1.21 fixed that.

Spec.
Also the larger the map the faster the techs are researched. I computed total tiles / tech rate for each map size and this is what I got:

Tiny 60
Small 71
Standard 83
Large 93
Huge 106

Even allowing for the slightly smaller map sizes under 1.21f the techs should come faster on the larger maps. Techs cost 4 times as much on a Huge map as on a Tiny one but there is 7 times more land area to produce beakers on the Huge map.
Old April 17, 2002, 14:06   #12
chiefpaco
Chieftain

Can't we adjust the tech rate by a proportional amount to the bonus of the AI/difficulty level? Wouldn't that effectively make the game progress at the same rate per level? I wondered the effect of this & wanted to try it out sometime. Has anyone tried something like this?
Old April 17, 2002, 19:18   #13
Coracle
Prince

Re: How do you people do it?
Quote:
Originally posted by Peppy
Apparently people are winning the space race before Jesus walked the Earth...

I just had this image of Jesus beating Neil Armstrong to the moon. I wonder what he would have said.

BTW, NOBODY has ever launched a space ship before Jesus.

I also wish we could have a cool screen when the spaceship lands, as we did with Civ 2.
Old April 17, 2002, 20:47   #14
PatLasch
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:06
Jesus? Is he some kind of special leader unit? What does he do? Is he that peaceful leader people have though about adding?
Old April 17, 2002, 21:08   #15
Peppy
Settler

But how is everybody able to have so much tech reseached by 1000AD?
Old April 17, 2002, 21:14   #16
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

The AI trades tech like mad on 1.17f, which causes devaluation. Once an AI gets a tech, it immediately trades it to almost everyone, thus people end up in the modern age at 1k ad. the more the ai traedes, the cheaper it is for you to buy outright
Old April 18, 2002, 02:34   #17
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Apparently people are winning the space race before Jesus walked the Earth.
I've never seen or heard of this. It reminds me of something there used to be in SMAC, which I call "brown-nosing", where people over-micro-manage their empire to get obscene amounts of technology within fifty turns of the start. I'm sure you can do something similar in this game, though I've never done it myself.
Old April 18, 2002, 04:18   #18
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:06
I like Micromanagement