Old April 17, 2002, 04:30   #1
sugar daddy
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Trading in the open slavemarket
howdy

Im an old civ' and civ2'er that hasnt quite grasped the full consept of slaves and slavetrading. Does the use of slaves intimidate the nations from which these slow but o so welcome workers originate? I was wondering if trading slaves from an enemy to a third party could be used as a way to worsen the relationship between these nations? Or am I completely on the wrong track?? I also cant seem to determine when slaves can be traded...
Old April 17, 2002, 04:43   #2
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

You can trade workers (yours and foreign) while they're in your capital. Whether that has influence on the mood of a foreign worker's civ leader or not I can't say, because I never sell but only buy workers. Some say yes, some no.
Old April 17, 2002, 06:46   #3
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 19:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
According to Soren, captured workers will cause that nation to dislike you. I don't know about traded workers, though. It wouldn't make much sense if they did, IMO.
Old April 17, 2002, 08:00   #4
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Trading in the open slavemarket
If memory serves correctly, keeping slaves working made their home country dislike you, while adding them to your cities was viewed more favourably. Giving them back to the home civ naturally got the best response (but somehow I just don't feel like doing it...). I don't recall if you suffer any penalty for selling them to someone else. I imagine that using bought slaves would cause a worse relationship with their home civ, but I don't actually know if it is the case or not. If it is, then it could serve as a nice way to try and provoke a war between two civs (or at least lessen the chance of them allying against you), if you happen to have a lot of slaves from one (or both) working around your empire.
Old April 17, 2002, 22:24   #5
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 19:07
Re: Trading in the open slavemarket
Quote:
Originally posted by vulture
If memory serves correctly, keeping slaves working made their home country dislike you, while adding them to your cities was viewed more favourably. Giving them back to the home civ naturally got the best response (but somehow I just don't feel like doing it...).
I didn't know that. Currently I am playing with the Babs, and since I have gotten many slaves in my aggressive policies (out of 100, only 30 are Babs). I just love exploiting foreigners... those Zulus are my favorite, they must feel so sad without their crazy Impi uniform. Anyway, they must be quite tired after 1500 years of road building. But they DESERVED it! Ha ha!
Old April 18, 2002, 08:04   #6
Herr David
Chieftain

Hehehe
If I happen to have slaves in the railroad era, I use them to build the really long railroads through tundra, forests, jungle and the like. Or to clear jungle, you know, all the labour-intensive things.
There should be a loss rate if you send slaves into harsh terrain... or you should be able to set up Gulags that produce a small amount of money per turn.
Old April 23, 2002, 06:15   #7
problem_child
Warlord

Local Time: 23:07
Personally I always make a point of raizing German cities, using them as slaves for awhile- before sending them to work the colonies or be exterminated in the cities and their hair made into pillow-filling, for the greater good of the Empire.

-I.
Old April 29, 2002, 18:27   #8
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 18:07
In my last game as the Aztecs, I captured a Japanese city. Peace broke out and the Japanese were annoyed at me for the longest time. I decided to send the captured workers to the capital and I gave them back the the Japanese for a song. The Japanese attitude immediately went to polite.

In my latest game as the Americans. I have the exact same situation with the Germans. Same as before, I gave the slaves back very cheaply. The Germans stayed annoyed, as if nothing had happened.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old April 29, 2002, 21:26   #9
watorrey
Warlord

To trade workers, you also need to have a city on the same land mass as the other civ. This can be as simple as both civs having far away colonies on the same little island.
Old April 29, 2002, 22:00   #10
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:07
Quote:
Originally posted by MosesPresley
for a song
???

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 30, 2002, 13:23   #11
MosesPresley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000

???
That's a figure of speech.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old May 2, 2002, 06:47   #12
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 01:07
man, you were lucky they were annoyed. once i battle it out with some civ, they stay furious till the very end no matter what (actually they might get in a bit better mood if we are later fighting against a common enemy)
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.