Old April 17, 2002, 20:49   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 16:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Has anyone tried "renting" games?
I was just checking out the baldur's gate website at the interplay website and just noticed this. It seems new to me, but I really don't pay much attention to gaming websites... except Apolyton of course

https://rental.streamtheory.com/interplay/home

It seems kind of cool. The price seems low considering I don't play games months at a time. Although some great games I do like to keep on my hard drive and play time to time, I prefer to own those.

But I am wondering how it works. How can they possibly have the bandwith for that? They would have to load most of the game onto your hardrive I would imagine. You can't send graphics over the internet, it would take too long. The game on the hard drive would have to generate the graphics. I'd imagine they have the basic engine on the hard drive, but not enough to play the game by itself.
Old April 17, 2002, 22:49   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think it's an ASP sort of things. The program runs on the server, and there is a stub at the client to receiver stuff and interact with the user.

Seems like a real bandwidth killer.
Old April 18, 2002, 01:49   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
I was signed up to beta test 'Steam' which was a Counter Strike online system like that. I had troubles getting it even set-up, but that was early on in the development. But once I found out what it actually was, I decided it wasn't worth my time to bother with it.

I don't think I will be renting games online. And down with GLOBALIZATION!!

Old April 19, 2002, 09:47   #4
chronocrator
Warlord

Local Time: 00:11
IMO those offers are too expensive. Those games that they offer for $9.99 are kinda old and shouldn't cost much more than that in a shop. And those you've bought are yours 'forever' and you can play them on different PCs even if you have no internet access or the connection is bad or the server is down or the server is too full or...
Old April 22, 2002, 19:55   #5
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:11
er i thought dl games off the net was "renting"
Old April 26, 2002, 07:41   #6
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
There is a video store in the next town over from me that does rent CD-ROM games. I don't know if its legal, but it sure is cool. For 5 bucks I can burn any game I want. It's called "Sona Video" in Bolingbrook for anyone living in the Southwest Chicago suburbs.
Old April 26, 2002, 11:47   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 00:11
No its not legal unless they have obtained permission to do so for every game they rent. If you bother to read through the licence/Eula that comes with a game you'll find that although the words differ from publisher to publisher doing anything except buying it and installing it once on one home computer is a violation. Even that can be dodgy
Old April 27, 2002, 03:32   #8
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
Expect the FBI to be breaking in the doors of Sona Video any minute now.