Old April 11, 2001, 22:06   #1
me_irate
Warlord

Local Time: 19:51
Local Date: October 30, 2010
cgw updated there site
I dont know if anyone has mentioned it but computer gaming world updated there site and now include a civ3 article on it. Unfortunatly the pictures that were scanned from their magazine are nowhere to be found.
But as far as i can tell, i think the article is the same as the one posted in the magazine.
Old April 11, 2001, 23:32   #2
SerapisIV
King

http://www.zdnet.com/cgw/stories/mai...696968,00.html

Here's some info from the article that I think was left out of previous posts:

"Zone of Control for swift units"
Does this mean that movement 1 units no longer have a zone of control? Only movement 2+ units can prevent next-tile movements?

"Then there's the addition of Great Leaders. Any time a unit wins a battle and gets promoted to veteran status, there's a small chance a Leader will be spawned. When this happens, get the Leader back to a city without being captured, and then you can use him for three tasks. He can build an army (essentially a stacked unit that fights all at once), form a Military Academy (which builds armies), or accelerate the construction of one building in your empire."
Does this mean that you only get leaders through conflict? Depending on how powerful Great Leaders are, doesn't this make early war pretty important? Free rush buy of buildings?

"Military Academy (which builds armies)"
Armies (stacked units) can only be formed at Academies?

"Diplomatic and economic victories"
Diplo and Econ victories are now in for sure

Old April 12, 2001, 10:52   #3
me_irate
Warlord

Thanks for posting the link, i forgot to.

The thing that bothers me is the unique units for civs. The americans f-14 the roman legion etc. I dont think this will balance well, and it leads me to think that they are making the civs unique with there own benefits and such. Im not so sure i like this.
Old April 12, 2001, 15:07   #4
SerapisIV
King

quote:

Originally posted by airdrik on 04-12-2001 12:05 PM
Serapis:
On the Academy idea, that will probably be like you can build militia and such without it, but you need one in order to build certain units.

Airdrik, I agree with you on the special units. I'd prefer things be even and as discussed in other threads, your playstyle determines you civ-benefits and thereby changing the strength of some units.

I don't think the Academy is going to be along your idea. It sounds similar to the ideas of the manufacturing capability thread (required improvements for some units). As much as I'd like to see that idea used to a limited scale, I don't think Firaxis will be including such a game concept.
It appears to me as if the the academy will primarliy be a place to stack units or raise them to veteran through training. The veteran idea would be similar to a scaled down Sun Tzu Academy from CivII. The stacking goes along with the previous quotes regarding building armies, but I'm not sure.

Now that I think of it, the presence of the academy might be a signal that Firaxis is changing the concept of veterancy altogether and including improvement requirements to build certain units. I'm just throwing out ideas here, trying to read Firaxis' mind but try this:
- Barracks, Factory, Harbor now required to build certain units...for infantry, mechanized & airborne, seaborne respectively.
- Academy, Airport, Ports now required to bring the built units up to veteran-level...ie, land, air, sea units respectively

Does this idea make sense? I'm not advocating here or giving an opinion, just wondering if this could be a possible new unit building/training structure for CivIII
Old April 12, 2001, 16:54   #5
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:51
I think that sounds very good. I would go with it, but then comes a small issue of build a unit and ship it off to your only city w/barracks, etc. to become vet, thus requiring only one training facility in your entire civ.

That is if you can train them after they are built.
[This message has been edited by airdrik (edited April 12, 2001).]
Old April 13, 2001, 00:05   #6
airdrik
Prince

Local Time: 18:51
Serapis:
The Zone of control will probably be like if a unit can't move past a unit with the same or higher movement, so a unit with 1 movement would be blocked by a unit with 2 movement, but the second unit could easily(?) move past the first unit. Or perhaps, a the unit with 1 movement couldn't even go near the movement 2 or 3 unit, he could move next to a unit with 1 movement, and could bypass a unit with 0 (or less) movement as long as there isn't another unit with control over the area he wants to move to.

Of course, there will probably be another stat (mobility) which will replace this so that more defencive units will be able to hold positions better than units with more movement.

As for the leaders, if you had read the next paragraph, it says that they are exparamenting with artists and scientists, which means that combat won't be the only way to gain 'leader' units.

On the Academy idea, that will probably be like you can build militia and such without it, but you need one in order to build certain units.

me_irate: they said that they will be revamping them so they will still be balanced (perhaps the ability to upgrade them so that a roman infantry could be adapted with rifles and the like)