Old June 18, 2002, 12:30   #391
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 17:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Interface bug. (1.21f)

When a unit is in a city and blinking, you can hit enter to open up the city. The bug: If you are set to pause at end of turn, reach the end of your turn, activate a unit in a city (the press enter for next turn message disappears from the status box) and hit enter, it goes on to the next turn instead of opening up the city.
Old June 18, 2002, 12:50   #392
Rust
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:13
-Once an infantry unit behind a fortress has given interdiction fire, the graphic changes to activated. This is while the unit is stilll fortified.

Also, I'm not sure if they still work after being changed to this stance, unless the zone of control is a random thing.

-Enemy units will attempt to move long distances through my territory just to attack a weakly defended city, even though I have railroads.
Old June 18, 2002, 14:27   #393
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 01:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by candidgamera
panang:

like to play on big worlds, but don't want to overpower the warrior too much in making him move faster to make exploration go a little faster. The "all terrain as roads" flag appears to be just like a scout unit in getting expansionist type, all positive results, landing on goodie huts. Would assume if I let explorers in at start, (moved them to astronomy, from navigation anyway), with 2 mp, all terrain as roads, this would only get worse. Have played several games where having this "expansionist" unit caused behavior is almost better than having "scientific" trait - the tech just comes so fast for free, especially with maxed-out sized continents. My current "balance" solution is to play with the middle option on continents - this means more islands, and keep warriors at 1MP, all terrain as roads. Its still all positive results so far, but better than all negative as before with just giving the warrior 2 mp, no all terrain as roads, and the islands act as firebreaks to getting tech too fast - and the worlds seem more interesting too.
hi ,

, in the place of making it more easy , why not make it more difficult , ...

give the editor a good look , it could really help to make a game more intresting , ...

have a nice day
Old June 18, 2002, 19:49   #394
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:13
Re: Re: Two military advisor bugs
Quote:
Originally posted by panag in response to my bug report
patch , ......what version , ...
The bug report was posted in a thread clearly titled "PATCH v1.21f bugs and issues", so it should be obvious what version I'm running.
Old June 18, 2002, 20:29   #395
star mouse
Prince

Graphics bug with Walls
Normally, when you build Walls in a city, the appearance of the city on the main map changes to one with walls. When you build Walls in your capital, the appearance of the capital on the map does not change to a walled city.
Old June 19, 2002, 10:03   #396
Panag
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Two military advisor bugs
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse

The bug report was posted in a thread clearly titled "PATCH v1.21f bugs and issues", so it should be obvious what version I'm running.
hi ,

its a sincere Q , because some people who post here still run an old patch , .... , that is why the Q , just to make sure , .....

the walls with the capital , yep , it has been asked many times , but no-one has come up with an answer .

one person speculated that evey capital , automatically gets a defense bonus , but there has been no proof to that .

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; June 20, 2002 at 00:20.
Old June 19, 2002, 20:46   #397
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 19:13
Re: Two military advisor bugs
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
I have encountered two separate military advisor bugs today.

Bug 2

YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME

THEY SET US UP THE CULTURE BOMB!

ALL YOUR CITY ARE BELONG TO US!
Old June 19, 2002, 20:49   #398
star mouse
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Re: Two military advisor bugs
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
its a sincere Q , because some people who post here still run an old patch , .... , ther fore the Q , just to make sure , .....
Understood I keep forgetting we do have a few doofuses here sometimes who report with the wrong version.
Old June 20, 2002, 00:21   #399
star mouse
Prince

Pathfinding
I wish they would fix the pathfinding. It's seriously wonky right now.

When I want to move a ship diagonally across the ocean, it doesn't move diagonally; instead it might move (say) straight up then straight left. It doesn't just affect ships. In a recent game, I had a Greek worker irrigate from a lake in my territory to their city that was diagonally down and right from the lake. The worker irrigated straight to the right, right past and over my city, destroying one of my mines in the process and then went straight down towards their city.

I think the problem arises when the pathfinding chooses from paths over equal terrain, such as the ocean or the unroaded desert near my city. When choosing from equal paths, it should choose the path that is the straightest instead of dividing the path into horizontal and vertical components.
Old June 20, 2002, 00:23   #400
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

anyone seen two or more leaders , .... at the same time , ....

have a nice day
Old June 20, 2002, 06:28   #401
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:13
My gripes/problems...
OMG! 16 pages.... I read up to about page 11 and it's too much to read it all... So here are some of my gripes and problems I've seen/experianced with the game and my reasoning for the proposed fixes

I dont use any mods! I prefer to 'start new game' using the 1.21F patch Since I'm new to the game I've been 'epxerimenting' around with the large map and anywhere from 4 civs up. I have a P2 450 with 128MB and nVidia GForce MX 200 with 32MB and I just load the game from Win98 SE, nothing else running and have a Logictech scroll mouse

I'd like to see more diplomatic abilities!!!
Such as the ability to be able to cut off things like mutual protection without having to start a war!
From what I know, that is the only way to cut off any of the diplomatic agreements.
Does any 'real civ'['real country'] start wars to cut off diplomatic negoations with any other country? No

Another thing along these lines is that I've noticed that some times I wont be able to have access to some of the options in the diplomatic screen. Like I wont be given the option to make any type of diplomatic agreements with some civ's even though 'we' aren't at war with each other and technoclically they're about equal or greater than I am... And on top of that... I had previously made agreements with them... Is that a bug or are there certian things I've missed that could cause this during a game?

I'd also like to make some of the 'offensive' remarks to the AI's just like they do to me! lol

Science citizens in the city shouldn't make citizens unhappy!!!
They're expanding the science/growth/culture of the city, eventually improving the citizens way of life and therefore shouldn't make them unhappy! Maybe they shouldn't change the other citizens current status at all, unless by switching them over makes the food production drop below the requirement of 2 per population

I've also noticed that many times the AI will capture workers, but I wont be able to recapture them Did the AI kill them? If that's true... Then how come I can't kill their workers instead of capturing them just like they seemingly do?

Another thing that I really don't like is that I HAVE to closely monitor the work my citizens are doing in each city in order to maximize my production of what ever[ie: at times I'll want growth so I'll maximize food production, etc.] It makes me wonder if what I've been doing is effective or not? Did the program switch them after I ended the turn and started the calculations for the production? Or did it complete the calculations for the production run and then at the begining of the next turn, switch them to where it thinks they should be? Annoying to say the least. Near the 'middle game' and the 'end game' there comes a point where I have too many cities to do this. I'll set the workers where I want them because the Governer can't do it 'properly'. When the next turn comes around... They'll be back to where they were before... In the "Improper" place... This effects the game in that it will take longer to produce wonders/imporvements/units and such... Concidering that this is a long game... That in itself can have a deteremental effect on your winning or losing.
I'd prefer to have it set so that if I set the workers in one area of the city map... They should stay there when the next turn comes up. I've found that trying to use the city governer doesn't work for me, and that's why I have to do it manually I've also read that there are some problems with the governer's management too...

The book states that turning a citizen into a scientest "adds one to the raw science production"... My question is this... How many commertial 'units' equal "one raw science" point from the "city production' point of view?

For example: Say you have a citizen that could either work a square that only can produce one commertial 'point' and your aiming for 'science'. Is it worth it to have that civilian to work the square? Or is it more profitable to change that citizen to a scientest?

I'd like to know that because there are many times where I can't produce much in any given city square... I wonder if there's a benifit to having scientest as apposed to working for one shield or one food or such. In the begining and middle game... This can be critical!

I too experiance at times when the unit will just sit there and I do too... Waiting for the game to move on to the next unit for as much as 2 minutes... Sometimes I can select another unit when this happens... Sometimes not

I'd also like to see a tag on each units description So when the time comes, I could send them back to where they were born and disband them to hurry an improvement/unit/wonder

As for seeing two Leaders at once... I'd say not really. But I'm playing with the Romans a lot and have found in one of my most recent games where I got one leader one turn, then in the next turn I formed an Army with it, and in that turn I got another Leader So... Kind of two leaders at once.... Kind of I love those Leaders and always push my Elites up to the front lines for that very reason

I just hate it when the AI brings a settler and spearman over to MY Colony and builds a city next to it, thereby taking it They should know and understand that it's my territory... And in doing that, that it will and has ALWAYS caused me to declare war on any AI that does that... To me I think it's a bug because its MY Colony and MY Territory it's just like they've taken one of my cities. I think that should be fixed. "Do unto the AI as it does to you..." So I find myself sometimes doing it to them... *Sighs cause he's lowered himself to the AI's level.* But from what I've seen, they rarely make colonies...

I'll get around to reading the last 5 or so pages...
Old June 20, 2002, 19:53   #402
star mouse
Prince

Great leaders

If you've been reading the CIV3 news, you will know that you can have only one leader at a time:

Quote:
Each unit can produce at most one great leader. Each time a unit is upgraded, however, it can once again produce a great leader. You can have more than one great leader per game but only one at a time.
- Mark B of Firaxis
AI Colonies

In my games, the AI Makes colonies rarely. On average, I see about one or two a game. However, if you play with 3 billion year old maps, you will see more colonies than the 5 billion year old maps, because of the enormous inhospitable mountain ranges making colonies necessary. Colonies are not needed most of the time, but when they are needed are damn useful
Old June 22, 2002, 16:04   #403
TreeWolf
Settler

Local Time: 23:13
I have come across this bug:

I have the governor in all my cities set to: 'Sometimes' build Defensive Units and to 'Never" build Workers but they sometimes still try to build the Workers after they finish my Production Queue.

Jeez, there still seems like a lot of stuff to be ironed out of this puppy, doesn't it?
When's the next patch coming out?
Old June 22, 2002, 18:48   #404
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

Yes, apparently many of us have found problems with the governers... Not sure if they'll look into it during this patch, or anything... Just know that this one will be focused upon the editor and also that it'll be out soon.
Old June 22, 2002, 23:08   #405
Level
Warlord

Local Time: 16:13
Here are some bugs I found when testing new units:
The ranged attack animation flag does not work.
If you fortify a air unit on water it disappears

Not a bug but it would help:
Can the Unit proprieties list box be changed to simple select or check boxes

These have always been there but I did not care much about them:
Graph bugs:
After changing eras and clicking on "what is the big picture" if you change graphs and then click close it changes back to the first graph instead of closing.
The graph on the replay screen is the wrong one.
My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter
Old June 23, 2002, 01:59   #406
TreeWolf
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by ACTD_Ran
Yes, apparently many of us have found problems with the governers... Not sure if they'll look into it during this patch, or anything... Just know that this one will be focused upon the editor and also that it'll be out soon.
Yeah, I realize not everything's gonna be fixed all at once, with PTW and the editor stuff getting all the atttention.
But I hope all the normal, routine little things don't get left behind. Like being able to turn things over to the governors when those cities start piling up.

Having fun in the meantime though. Ya know?
Old June 23, 2002, 12:15   #407
Sheik
King

Local Time: 18:13
I got a bug. I added an engineer unit to the game that had the abilities of a worker and a settler. I also added an oasis luxury resource that gives 2 food and 1 sheild. Whenever I build a city that is connected to the resource the game crashes. The game also now crashes whenever I build a city connected to a road.

Sell your photos
Old June 23, 2002, 16:22   #408
ACTD_Ran
Chieftain

There's probably some settings that aren't 'right' in the Mod you made.
Old June 23, 2002, 16:39   #409
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
I got a bug. I added an engineer unit to the game that had the abilities of a worker and a settler. I also added an oasis luxury resource that gives 2 food and 1 sheild. Whenever I build a city that is connected to the resource the game crashes. The game also now crashes whenever I build a city connected to a road.
hi ,

can you post a SAV(e) of your mod , ....

it would help a lot , ...

have a nice day
Old June 23, 2002, 17:58   #410
eldoktor
Settler

Re: My gripes/problems...
Quote:
I'd like to see more diplomatic abilities!!!
Such as the ability to be able to cut off things like mutual protection without having to start a war!
From what I know, that is the only way to cut off any of the diplomatic agreements.
Does any 'real civ'['real country'] start wars to cut off diplomatic negoations with any other country? No
-- You can do this. Look at the active agreements and click to bring it up, erase the agreement and it should give you a confirmation box. I may have the details wrong, and I think you have to wait until 20 turns have passed before you can do this. This is also how you can jack up the price on resources.

Quote:
Another thing along these lines is that I've noticed that some times I wont be able to have access to some of the options in the diplomatic screen. Like I wont be given the option to make any type of diplomatic agreements with some civ's even though 'we' aren't at war with each other and technoclically they're about equal or greater than I am... And on top of that... I had previously made agreements with them... Is that a bug or are there certian things I've missed that could cause this during a game?
-- There's probably something else going on. Perhaps a war you didn't notice, or a pre-requisite (some agreements require certain techs). Wars wipe out previous agreements.

I
Quote:
'd also like to make some of the 'offensive' remarks to the AI's just like they do to me! lol
-- Just make up your own phrasing for the demands! "Get out of my territory or declare war" is pretty offensive, and so is "Give me this or we'll kill you" .

Quote:
Science citizens in the city shouldn't make citizens unhappy!!!
They're expanding the science/growth/culture of the city, eventually improving the citizens way of life and therefore shouldn't make them unhappy! Maybe they shouldn't change the other citizens current status at all, unless by switching them over makes the food production drop below the requirement of 2 per population
-- They don't make people unhappy, per se, but they stop being entertainers.

Quote:
I've also noticed that many times the AI will capture workers, but I wont be able to recapture them Did the AI kill them? If that's true... Then how come I can't kill their workers instead of capturing them just like they seemingly do?
-- They're probably just disbanding them or putting them into cities.

Quote:
Another thing that I really don't like is that I HAVE to closely monitor the work my citizens are doing in each city in order to maximize my production of what ever[ie: at times I'll want growth so I'll maximize food production, etc.]
-- Ahh, micromanagement. Figure out the governors if you don't want to do it yourself. I'd offer suggestions, but I picked "do it myself". The governor system is pretty complex and I get perverse enjoyment from micromanagement (must be the German blood).

Quote:
I'd like to know that because there are many times where I can't produce much in any given city square... I wonder if there's a benifit to having scientest as apposed to working for one shield or one food or such. In the begining and middle game... This can be critical!
Usually, you want to keep them working the land. They make food and shields that way. Previous versions had a better return for specialists.
Old June 23, 2002, 18:02   #411
lorddread
Warlord

Quote:
RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA
Res Non Verba - De Opresso Liber - Veritas Et Libertas
Deeds not words - freedom for the oppressed- integrity and freedom

The first is used often in American society "You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk" is a derivitive of this phrase.

The second phrase is the motto for the US Green Berets.

I'm not sure where you are going with the third part.

Can I assume that these 3 phrases are attributed to O Tolman Nika?

by the way, did you decipher the phrase I posted?
Old June 24, 2002, 00:23   #412
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

In the game I'm playing now, I have several cities with 1 happy citizen and nothing in the luxury box. There are no entertainers and the luxury slider bar is zero. This happened all of a sudden when the Persians surprise attacked me and I declined to renew a luxury trade deal with the Chinese. Don't know why this should have an effect, but I can't explain these extra happy faces in oversea cities not connected by harbors or airports. Any ideas? I have saved games before and after if anyone wants to see them.
Old June 24, 2002, 01:27   #413
lorddread
Warlord

yes please
Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi
In the game I'm playing now, I have several cities with 1 happy citizen and nothing in the luxury box. There are no entertainers and the luxury slider bar is zero. This happened all of a sudden when the Persians surprise attacked me and I declined to renew a luxury trade deal with the Chinese. Don't know why this should have an effect, but I can't explain these extra happy faces in oversea cities not connected by harbors or airports. Any ideas? I have saved games before and after if anyone wants to see them.
Old June 24, 2002, 08:16   #414
eldoktor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by playshogi

This is the upside of war weariness! Your people are rallying to the national cause in response to the surprise attack.
Old June 24, 2002, 11:19   #415
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

You're right! It's in the manual, too. (Who reads that?) I was playing in Republic mode and after the war ended so did my extra happy faces.
Old June 24, 2002, 11:52   #416
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lorddread

Res Non Verba - De Opresso Liber - Veritas Et Libertas
Deeds not words - freedom for the oppressed- integrity and freedom

The first is used often in American society "You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk" is a derivitive of this phrase.

The second phrase is the motto for the US Green Berets.

I'm not sure where you are going with the third part.

Can I assume that these 3 phrases are attributed to O Tolman Nika?

by the way, did you decipher the phrase I posted?
hi ,

you are close , but not all the way , .....

topic ; the manual was printed with the strategy guide , a long way before the game came out , ......

have a nice day
Old June 24, 2002, 13:40   #417
lorddread
Warlord

Latin for Dummies
Quote:

hi ,

you are close , but not all the way , .....

topic ; the manual was printed with the strategy guide , a long way before the game came out , ......

have a nice day
So what does it mean? And how was the author?
Old June 24, 2002, 13:58   #418
Panag
Emperor

Re: Latin for Dummies
Quote:

So what does it mean? And how was the author?
hi ,

1 , not words but deeds , 2 free the oppressed , 3 thruth and freedom , 4 Greek - "who dares wins"

who as used them , well , look on the net , .....

"author" , ....

, the book , well , ahem , they should have turned to Apolyton for the writing , and they should have looked here for "strategy" , ....

its best place for the moment is with the pile of paper that awaits "recycling" , .......

have a nice day
Old June 24, 2002, 16:58   #419
lorddread
Warlord

Latin for Dummies
Quote:

hi ,
1 , not words but deeds , 2 free the oppressed , 3 thruth and freedom , 4 Greek - "who dares wins"
who as used them , well , look on the net , .....
"author" , ....
I thought the last part was the author's name.

I cannot find any one person who is attributed to all 4 phrases. res, non verba seems to be attributed to Ceaser, but he the 4th phrase is in Greek, which would never have been something Ceaser would say. Several Roman Emperors were fond of Greek.

The author has stumped me. Congrats.
Old June 24, 2002, 17:14   #420
Panag
Emperor

Re: Latin for Dummies
Quote:

I thought the last part was the author's name.

I cannot find any one person who is attributed to all 4 phrases. res, non verba seems to be attributed to Ceaser, but he the 4th phrase is in Greek, which would never have been something Ceaser would say. Several Roman Emperors were fond of Greek.

The author has stumped me. Congrats.
hi ,

the author of the civ3 books , or the author of the words , ...

well , not all great person's in history where Roman , ....
and yes the Romans did use it , it was on the shield of a small 2000 man force , ....

topic ;

there are more bugs , but not all the people post them here , maybe we should keep it all in one thread , ...

there are some problems with the advisor screen's , but when you reload it seems to be gone , ....anyone else , ...

so , what about the "captured worker" bug in the city screen , ....

have a nice day