Old April 21, 2002, 05:37   #91
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 01:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Allemand
With old saved games (pre-1.21f) you are stuck with the new random number generator rule (results change on reload). There is no way to reset to the old rule in a saved game.

Hope someone knows how to do it.....
Do you mean that it regenerates the number?
Old April 21, 2002, 05:41   #92
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yup. That option is on for old saved games. I can send you one.
Old April 21, 2002, 06:01   #93
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Another repeatable crash bug. I dont know if this one is related to the patch, mods ive made to the rules, or is just me.

Everytime I try to access the city governor with the right click menu on a city (any city) it comes up with critical exception in civilization.exe Its just this game though, id been able to use governors all I wanted in my previous games.

Maybe its that some of my cities are in civil disorder (not sure), thats why I went to access the governors....oh well have to fix it the not lazy way

EDIT: Confirmed, I can access the governors just fine as soon as I manually bring all my cities out of civil disorder. Not sure if its all civil disorder though or just disorder brought on by anarchy between governments (the situation that led to it in that game)
Attached Files:
Old April 21, 2002, 06:10   #94
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Yup. That option is on for old saved games. I can send you one.
I think I know how to edit the old save rules.
And I thing the option (checkbox is off)
Old April 21, 2002, 07:53   #95
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 00:12
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Shift, Right-Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, Click, J, gone.
Thanks for this hint, I hadn't found this yet. Now it makes sense.

Another issue I found, the new city governor let people starve although there would be possibility to feed all. Even if I emphasize production, it could lead to zero growth, but should not lead to unnecessary starvation.
Old April 21, 2002, 10:28   #96
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 16:12
old mods
I have a problem where the game won't load my mods where I have modified the tech tree somewhat. it just crashes when finished loading.

I used to have this problem with these mods. the dialogue would come up - "go to map generation" or "Jump directly into the game". If I chose to not go to map generation, it would crash. Now I don't have the option of choosing world parameters, and it crashes every time!!!!!

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old April 21, 2002, 11:18   #97
Allemand
Warlord

Local Time: 23:12
Gramphos, the random seed option is off on the old saved games, so we're stuck with the "new" option of getting a different number on a reload.
Old April 21, 2002, 12:55   #98
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Allemand
Gramphos, the random seed option is off on the old saved games, so we're stuck with the "new" option of getting a different number on a reload.
I wonder why that was changed? One thought that crossed my mind was that code interfered with random number generation. By that I mean the combats we've seen where on a fifty/fifty combat you can often see one side or the other score multiple hits without retaliation. Something that shouldn't happen statisically as often as it does.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 21, 2002, 15:28   #99
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 19:12
Re: worker bug, advisor crash
Quote:
Originally posted by Apolex
Okay I installed the 1.21 and loaded my saved game. My workers that I sent to automatically clean up pollution got mowed down my mech-infantry in my own cities as they tried to go through. I know this was a bug from before, but I thought it was fixed. Guess not.

Also I had a complete crash back to desktop twice while trying to get to my advisors screen. This never happened before I applied the 1.21 patch.

*sigh*

-Apolex
I've also had the game crash 4 times, always when trying to access the advisor screen.

(edit)
Played this weekend : Problem is getting worse. I'm still in the same game, but now the whole game is unstable... it just crashes to the desktop every 2 to 3 turns. No warnings or error messages.
I'm running Win2K professional on an Athlon 1G with 256 Megs RAM and a Hercules Kyro ProphetII with 64M.

I'll attach the game this evening.

Last edited by Richelieu; April 22, 2002 at 12:06.
Old April 21, 2002, 15:35   #100
Raion
Prince

The only thing I have seen, and still I am not sure about, except on the continent that I am on, (and it is quite large) is that -- there are no luxury resources. Dyes, Furs, whatever, - none on my part of the map. Not a one. Deer, gold, iron, and that stuff, but no luxuries resources.

Maybe I will try re-installing the patch, but that seem to go without a hitch.

Anyone else notice this yet, playing on 5 billion, islands, normal, temperate, type random map, except took off, I think, random seed thing, - not sure what that means yets, - not sure if I am using that or not - rule (when starting game) - think I took it off.
Old April 21, 2002, 16:58   #101
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

I think I know how to edit the old save rules.
And I thing the option (checkbox is off)
I was not offering to teach you about editing these files....

Sorry if it came across like that. I was offering to send you a sav started with 1.17 where the seed is reset on reload.
Old April 21, 2002, 16:59   #102
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Two bugs:

1. colors are messed up. AI civs colors change with every game I play
2. Building the Hanging Gardens didn't cause a Golden Age for my civ (the Egyptians). I never had a Golden Age before during that game, so it couldn't have been that.
Old April 21, 2002, 17:34   #103
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Two bugs:

1. colors are messed up. AI civs colors change with every game I play
2. Building the Hanging Gardens didn't cause a Golden Age for my civ (the Egyptians). I never had a Golden Age before during that game, so it couldn't have been that.
Hanging Gardens has Industrious trait, but not Religious trait.
So you couldn't start golden age, just with that wonder.
Old April 21, 2002, 18:25   #104
lorddread
Warlord

J command
Is it my imagination or can you only move units of the same type, ie all riflemen, but not cannons or calvary, with the J command? Was it like this on 1.17? I can't remember.
Old April 21, 2002, 18:26   #105
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Local Time: 15:12
call me lazy...
...I didn't read this whole thread. I just wanted to post that the foreign advisor is still all f*cked up: It's still only showing the players' relationship w/ AI civs, not everyone's standing w/ everyone, AI or not. Annoying? You bet.
Old April 21, 2002, 18:36   #106
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Re: J command
Quote:
Originally posted by lorddread
Is it my imagination or can you only move units of the same type, ie all riflemen, but not cannons or calvary, with the J command? Was it like this on 1.17? I can't remember.
J command only moved the same type with 1.17. Now with 1.21 it only moves the active units of the same type. That change may have some advantages but its a supreme pain when you're trying to herd a large army back to barracks for upgrading.

Firaxis, how's about a wake all command in F3 or better yet a "move all (unit) back to barracks and upgrade" command.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 21, 2002, 19:08   #107
notyoueither
Deity

Re: call me lazy...
Quote:
Originally posted by fluxcapacitor
...I didn't read this whole thread. I just wanted to post that the foreign advisor is still all f*cked up: It's still only showing the players' relationship w/ AI civs, not everyone's standing w/ everyone, AI or not. Annoying? You bet.
You have to select everyone. Click on yourself. You see your own lines. Click on Mao. You see his relationships. Shift-Click on all of the leaders. Now you see them all.
Old April 21, 2002, 20:49   #108
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
Resource leak in advisor screen
I have had the game crash a few times while negotiating with the AI in the Foreign Advisor.. It's usually the same - the mouse gets fairly unresponsive, then the sound gets corrupted. At that point it's possible to save and quit if you do it immediately, but if it's left alone for long enough a Windows dialogue pops up saying that the system is "dangerously low in resources" (probably GDI resources). It's evidently a resource leak of some kind.

This is an old bug, but it seems to be worse in this version.
Old April 21, 2002, 23:35   #109
PerpetualNewbie
Chieftain

CD Check problem AGAIN!
Grrr mentioned it in post #2, but I did not see a solution. Do I have to go through the same nonsense I did when I got the game, and with 1.16? Or is there a way to use the workaround Firaxis tech support sent me last December and go from there?
Old April 22, 2002, 00:16   #110
The Rook
Warlord

I didn't read all 4 pages, but I found what I think is a bug. It happened twice, and I can't explain it. I was researching Theory of Gravity, but as I still had 10 turns, I decided to trade for it with England. As soon as I accepted Her offer, the Science Advisor pops up and says I have discovered Nationalism. Well, I am not complaining, but it seems like a freebie to me. This happened twice, same two advances, same set-up. In my next game, I will try it again.
Old April 22, 2002, 00:21   #111
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rook
I didn't read all 4 pages, but I found what I think is a bug. It happened twice, and I can't explain it. I was researching Theory of Gravity, but as I still had 10 turns, I decided to trade for it with England. As soon as I accepted Her offer, the Science Advisor pops up and says I have discovered Nationalism. Well, I am not complaining, but it seems like a freebie to me. This happened twice, same two advances, same set-up. In my next game, I will try it again.
Are you by any chance playing a Scientific civ?
Old April 22, 2002, 01:19   #112
The Rook
Warlord

Yes, I had never played a scientific Civ before, and now I just read why I'm getting the freebies. So, it's not a bug, just my goof. I guess I didn't notice it in the earlier era, because I had the Great Library. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old April 22, 2002, 04:00   #113
Coracle
Prince

That FLOOD OF SETTLERS
I see Firaxis did NOT bother to solve this annoying flood of settlers with 1.21.

Settler/spearmen pairs continue to march right into my territory.
I tell them to leave, and then tell them again. They don't leave.

I them tell them to leave or declare war.

At that point one of two stupid things will happen: either they will magically teleport themselves to the nearest open tile on the other side of my empire, or, even a pacifistic civ WILL declare war.

It is utterly ASININE.

BTW, with 1.21, Firaxis took a slow game. . . AND MADE IT EVEN SLOWER!!
Old April 22, 2002, 04:14   #114
player1
Emperor

Re: That FLOOD OF SETTLERS
Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
I see Firaxis did NOT bother to solve this annoying flood of settlers with 1.21.

Settler/spearmen pairs continue to march right into my territory.
I tell them to leave, and then tell them again. They don't leave.

I them tell them to leave or declare war.

At that point one of two stupid things will happen: either they will magically teleport themselves to the nearest open tile on the other side of my empire, or, even a pacifistic civ WILL declare war.

It is utterly ASININE.
Best solution: Fill the gaps in your empire.
Don't be afraid to overlap sometimes.

Quote:
BTW, with 1.21, Firaxis took a slow game. . . AND MADE IT EVEN SLOWER!!
Tip: turn off AUTOSAVE (since svaed games are now compressed)
Old April 22, 2002, 04:55   #115
The Viceroy
Prince

Ohh the settler flood .. Im sitting on a large continent, with 6 other Civs, and to the south of me is a very very large area of tundra with very few deers .. and I had to abandon the game as all the other civs were constantly sending across settler + defenders .. ever single turn, I had to go through the motions of telling every single AI player to bog off, or declare war .. finally, they got sick of it, and declared war .. I thought, SOD IT .. im going for an Island map ..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop the AI from constantly trying to move into territory that it has previously been sent away from ... its so so so so annoying, and wrecks any game on a large continent with many other players.

The whole notion of wanting to settle tundra and desert with no resources is rather silly ..

This is a Bug!!
Old April 22, 2002, 06:45   #116
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 19:12
wahwah, the AI is too good for me
Old April 22, 2002, 07:38   #117
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Civ3, take 3
OK, it´s the second time I´ve reinstalled Civ3. I´m at 690 BC and so far so good. Some things I noticed:

¤ Disband city I have used this feature a couple of times since the AI still is piss poor at chosing city cites...
(Edit: When I´m conquer AI cities that is)

¤ Governor STILL asks if I´d like to build aqueduct when I got like three turns left on a wonder. Minor bug, but still annoying

¤ Why can´t the AI separate the civs better? I´m playing archipelago. There´s approx. 20 islands of various sizes. 6 ( ) civs (including me) is located on the same frigging island!! And the AI don´t build triremes, so every friggin´civ keeps barging into my territory and wanders aimlessly around until it finds a patch of land on the fringes of my empire (not a big problem, since I´ll eat them in a hundred years or so anyway, but still STUPID!)

¤ A lot of people has complained that the game is even slower now, with the compressed .sav and everything. I´m not noticing any difference. I´m playing on a standard size map with 8 civs.

More reflections to come...
Old April 22, 2002, 08:00   #118
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

I forgot...
¤ Corruption less hampering than before. Wohoo!
Old April 22, 2002, 08:14   #119
The Viceroy
Prince

punkbass2000

I wish I was as good at Civ as you.

What was interesting though, was that all civs on that turn, declared war when I told them to get stuffed .. and up until that point, had removed there troops .. there must be a tolerence limit somewhere, which tells ALL ai's to call your bluff at the same time.

It has nothing to do with the state of affairs between nations, as the Egyptians were polite and id just got them to join with me against one of the other civs that had declared war.. yet still they declared war ..

Settlers going for tundra/desert is just daft .. unless it secures some resource or closes gaps in there borders.
Old April 22, 2002, 09:46   #120
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
Ohh the settler flood .. Im sitting on a large continent, with 6 other Civs, and to the south of me is a very very large area of tundra with very few deers .. and I had to abandon the game as all the other civs were constantly sending across settler + defenders .. ever single turn, I had to go through the motions of telling every single AI player to bog off, or declare war .. finally, they got sick of it, and declared war .. I thought, SOD IT .. im going for an Island map ..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop the AI from constantly trying to move into territory that it has previously been sent away from ... its so so so so annoying, and wrecks any game on a large continent with many other players.

The whole notion of wanting to settle tundra and desert with no resources is rather silly ..

This is a Bug!!
nah, they are just being naughty
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.