Old April 26, 2002, 02:56   #181
Laiquendi
Settler

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The AI assigns wildly different values to different techs. I once bought democracy for 10 gold, and traded medicine for two mid-level techs from the age before, plus a large quantity of gold.

As mentioned, AI tech sharing is still rampant, money per turn valuation is still screwed.

In my last game luxury trading was really strange.. the AI would never trade me a luxury for anything less than two of mine, plus gold per turn.

A strange bug i've run into: randomly some civilizations do not appear on my foreign advisor screen. In my last game, the babylonians and the persians (and the greeks and romans, before I killed them) were there, while the germans, french, russians, and english did not show up.
Old April 26, 2002, 03:26   #182
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 01:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
can anyone from firaxis please let us know if they noticed the same things in the last patch?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old April 26, 2002, 11:54   #183
dawidge
Warlord

Local Time: 17:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Laiquendi
In my last game luxury trading was really strange.. the AI would never trade me a luxury for anything less than two of mine, plus gold per turn.
The AI knows that luxuries are more advantageous to the player than to themselves. Also, if you have broken trade treaties before (by going to war with an AI with whom you were trading) the costs go up because you have a history of breaking treaties. I don't think it matters if the AI declared against you (breaking the treaty with you), or if you declared against the AI (you broke the treaty with the AI), just that the treaty was broken.

Quote:
A strange bug i've run into: randomly some civilizations do not appear on my foreign advisor screen. In my last game, the babylonians and the persians (and the greeks and romans, before I killed them) were there, while the germans, french, russians, and english did not show up.
Shift-right-click on an empty (or occupied) circle to (re)assign it to another civ. Only 8 civs may be seen on the advisor screen regardless of how many are in the game.
Old April 26, 2002, 13:32   #184
louiethelesbo
Settler

The game continues to get worse instead of better. I am ready to go back to 1.16f. I thought the concept behind a patch was to improve the product not to further screw it up.
Old April 27, 2002, 09:05   #185
ireant
Settler

Local Time: 15:12
Save Game file date & time wrong
I was deleting a savegame this morning when I noticed the creation date and time settings were wrong. I immediately checked my system date and time: it was correct. I am left to conclude that the patch now saves games one week off and PM instead of AM. I know for a fact that the previous patch didn't do this.

Can anyone verify my experience?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old April 27, 2002, 10:38   #186
crewealex
Settler

Local Time: 00:12
Everytime I start my first city the city centre square gets 3 commerce, Desert,hill,grass,next to river,not next to river--- anywhere. Is this how it should be or is something going wrong somewhere?
I seem to recall that without patches the base commerce was 1.
Old April 27, 2002, 20:24   #187
Insigna
Chieftain

Ok i havent had a chance to read all this but I have found some huge bugs. First off the game everyonce in a while while i am moving a certian frigite. Not everytime but once in a while im moving the mouse seeing how many turns it will take.

Also this problem has been going for the last two patches the computer gets free advances while i am trading with them. It begins to get ridiclas and makes trading technology not just worthless but harmfull. The comp seems to be 3 advances ahead of me at all time knowmater what.
Old April 27, 2002, 20:43   #188
Insigna
Chieftain

I thought of two more. In my games some of the other civs leaders are dressed in the next ages clothing with the next ages city types however it is clear that they are not yet in the next age. why is this? And yes I know for a fact that they arent even close to the next age.

Also i can't trade cetain resorses or luxuries with certain civs its just not an option. sometimes for example i will be able to trade grapes but none of my horses iron or saltpeter.
Old April 27, 2002, 21:03   #189
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 18:12
i'm not reading all 7 pages but i'm having a lot of scrolling issues with the new patch. i cant scroll with nmy mouse all the time.
Old April 27, 2002, 21:04   #190
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Insigna

Also i can't trade cetain resorses or luxuries with certain civs its just not an option. sometimes for example i will be able to trade grapes but none of my horses iron or saltpeter.
maybe they don't NEED your saltpeter... maybe they have their own or are trading for it with another civ.
Old April 27, 2002, 21:05   #191
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
Please examine the issue of resource availability on randomly-generated maps, particularly those that are at the extreme ends of the range (warm, wet, 3 billion etc.) For example, with Oil only found in Desert and Tundra, warm and wet maps may have little or no oil.
Star Mouse,

I play Warm, Wet, 5 Billion all of the time. And while I may not have played until oil all of the time, I have never seen no mountains, no desert, or no tundra. So while there is less (which makes it a more exciting game, IMHO) there has always been some.
Old April 27, 2002, 21:48   #192
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Ok i havent had a chance to read all this but I have found some huge bugs. First off the game everyonce in a while while i am moving a certian frigite. Not everytime but once in a while im moving the mouse seeing how many turns it will take.
This is incoherent. What happens with the Frigate?

Quote:
Also this problem has been going for the last two patches the computer gets free advances while i am trading with them. It begins to get ridiclas and makes trading technology not just worthless but harmfull. The comp seems to be 3 advances ahead of me at all time knowmater what.
They aren't getting free tech. They already had the tech, you just couldn't see it because it was masked by prerequisites. I am assuming, because other people have reported the same and found the same answer to be correct.
Old April 27, 2002, 21:50   #193
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
I thought of two more. In my games some of the other civs leaders are dressed in the next ages clothing with the next ages city types however it is clear that they are not yet in the next age. why is this? And yes I know for a fact that they arent even close to the next age.
How do you know? Because you can't see all of their techs? See above.
Old April 27, 2002, 22:02   #194
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by crewealex
Everytime I start my first city the city centre square gets 3 commerce, Desert,hill,grass,next to river,not next to river--- anywhere. Is this how it should be or is something going wrong somewhere?
I seem to recall that without patches the base commerce was 1.
I think this is how it is supposed to be. They have also increased the costs of tech.
Old April 27, 2002, 22:03   #195
notyoueither
Deity

Re: Save Game file date & time wrong
Quote:
Originally posted by ireant
I was deleting a savegame this morning when I noticed the creation date and time settings were wrong. I immediately checked my system date and time: it was correct. I am left to conclude that the patch now saves games one week off and PM instead of AM. I know for a fact that the previous patch didn't do this.

Can anyone verify my experience?

Thanks,
Anthony
Nope. Works fine here. Did you somehow reset your Windows chronometer while playing?
Old April 28, 2002, 00:26   #196
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

not a bug at all and certainly doesn't do anything to gameplay, but when you load a gaome, all teh units are facing one direction, not the way teh were when you saved the game,
Old April 28, 2002, 00:55   #197
Cluk
Settler

Local Time: 15:12
Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixPhlame73
not a bug at all and certainly doesn't do anything to gameplay, but when you load a gaome, all teh units are facing one direction, not the way teh were when you saved the game,
Cool. I think Firaxis should make more whimsical bugs.
Old April 28, 2002, 03:32   #198
homegrown
Civilization IV Creators
Settler

*edit* deleted post
Old April 28, 2002, 05:32   #199
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
Two bugs
Two bugs I have found:

1. When I was bombarding coastal tiles from a ship, the game would pause for 10-30 seconds after the bombard. I would not be able to move that ship or any other unit until the game stopped pausing. This happened even if the bombard was unsuccessful. It happens after every bombard.

2. The game would also pause if I used a gang of workers to clear a forest in a single turn. The forest had a road, and I moved the workers there on that same turn. It probably happened the same turn I did the pausing bombard. I could save the game but not do anything else. One time, the pause was permanent and I lost the worker's order buttons from the bottom of the screen. I could save the game, but when I saved the game while the workers were paused and reloaded it, CIV3 crashed.
Old April 28, 2002, 06:05   #200
crewealex
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

I think this is how it is supposed to be. They have also increased the costs of tech.
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate your help.
Old April 28, 2002, 12:46   #201
philosophile
Settler

minor thing... but its still a bug
I'm actually pretty pleased overall with the patch. The game isn't perfect yet, but its a little step closer.

Anyways, I've noticed that the We love the -------- day isn't replaced with the leader type that you manually enter into the description anymore. It goes with the original. e.g. If I type in Fearless Leader, for the Aztecs, it still displays we love the chief day.
Old April 28, 2002, 12:51   #202
lorddread
Warlord

Free TEch for the AI
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

They aren't getting free tech. They already had the tech, you just couldn't see it because it was masked by prerequisites. I am assuming, because other people have reported the same and found the same answer to be correct.
Actually, the game I am playing, the Egyptians and I were researching the same tech. Egypt got it 1 turn before I did, and when they asked top trade it to me, they suddenly had 3 new techs that no one else on the map could have (we were the most advanced races).

Researching: Infantry
Egypt got: Corp, Sanitation and Espionage

I am running the latest patch.
Old April 28, 2002, 13:53   #203
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I saw something similar in my first game with 1.21 (that I've now finally finished) where it looked like another civ had a bunch of techs "pop up". What I think has changed is that you can no longer see techs that the AI has that you cant research yourself. So sometimes after you've acquired one tech the AI appears to acquire a bunch from "nowhere".
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 28, 2002, 15:18   #204
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I was playing a game on the roman map from civ3.com and suddenly the cursor disappeared and the game froze. I was just moving my cursor around the map (in the middle of my turn). WHen I hit ctrl-alt-del it turned black but the little close pragram box came up. I told it to close civ3 and it said it wasnt reponding a few seconds later. When I played the same game again I had no problem when I got to the same point. Many turns later, the bug has turned again now. I've never experienced this problem or anything like it before. Is it something with the map/mod having problems with 1.21 or a bug in 1.21? Whichever, I just felt I should report it here. Game saved last time before 2nd time bug happened (1 turn before maybe?) attached.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav dem2.sav (114.1 KB, 1 views)

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 28, 2002, 16:06   #205
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Problem with espionage
In my current game I used a spy to show me all troop positions of the Persians. I played maybe two rounds and than saved and quit. After loading the saved game, this information disappeared and the previously revealed enemy units are no longer visible.

Anybody encountered the same problem?
Old April 28, 2002, 17:30   #206
Redstar
Warlord

"Two bugs I have found:

1. When I was bombarding coastal tiles from a ship, the game would pause for 10-30 seconds ...."

I have not experienced either of these two conditions even though i have cleared many forests and blown up many improvements from the sea.

I have previously experienced a delay whenever blowing up a harbour or airport (understandable since these 2 features have an icon on the map by the city). I do not know if this delay is still with us with this patch.

But, i have noticed there is LESS delay now when you capture a city.
Old April 28, 2002, 18:05   #207
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 01:12
I have one STRANGE bug.

There is a RANDOM chace that Civ3 RESTARTS my computer!

But, it only happens:
-when loading intro, or
-when loading saved game (in game or from starting game)
-in other cases game is stable

But this all happens random, so I have no clue what it is.

333Mhz Celeron, 64MB ram, Intel i740 graphic, 400MB free disk space.
Had no problem before 1.21f
Old April 28, 2002, 18:13   #208
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
I have one STRANGE bug.

There is a RANDOM chace that Civ3 RESTARTS my computer!
I have the same problem, but only when I play for several hours and it seems to be more often when I use Windows Media Player at the same time.

I guess it's not so much a problem with the game as such, but a general hardware/Windows problem.
I had it quite regularly when playing Civ2 and it became slightly better when I re-installed my PC.
All in all I'm quite happy with the stability of Civ3 (regarding the stability of Windows in general).
Old April 28, 2002, 20:11   #209
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
1. When I was bombarding coastal tiles from a ship, the game would pause for 10-30 seconds ...."

I have not experienced either of these two conditions even though i have cleared many forests and blown up many improvements from the sea.

I have previously experienced a delay whenever blowing up a harbour or airport (understandable since these 2 features have an icon on the map by the city). I do not know if this delay is still with us with this patch.
Yeah whenever my ships beat up the enemy cities while the transports arrived it would take 20 seconds whenever i destroyed a harbor. I would guess that this is still there in 1.21, although I havent had any experience yet.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 28, 2002, 20:23   #210
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
Quote:
Originally posted by civman2000
Yeah whenever my ships beat up the enemy cities while the transports arrived it would take 20 seconds whenever i destroyed a harbor. I would guess that this is still there in 1.21, although I havent had any experience yet.
For me, it is happening every time I bombard. I wasn't even bombarding cities.

My targets were often strategic resources on coastal tiles, but the pause would happen even if I was bombarding something else and even when the bombard failed.