Old May 2, 2002, 03:54   #241
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 01:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by exeter0

I don;t think that the AI to AI trading parameter affects how prolific the tech trading is... it just affects how equally and fairly it trades with the human player.

So in some respects... now that the human player is now a Tech 'whorer' tech trading and consequently tech progression will occur even more rapidly.

I would try increasing the Minimum research time - Increase it from 8 (or whatever the base is for your difficulty setting) to say 12 and see how that goes.

it does affect the game a lot. lower ai trading a bit, and it really separates superpowers from laggards, although it usually does not slow down the research much (top research nations still progress very quickly)
reducing AI to AI rate does not make it more fair to human, it only makes it tougher vsv other AI
i edited tech rate on standard, 12, (115 AI to AI) to 280 or 300 (cant remember). as civs disappeared, tech advancing slowed down. while we all had nationalism by 1600, i could not lanuch spaceship before 2002, so as civs disappear, tech rate slows down.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old May 2, 2002, 11:43   #242
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 19:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Q: Playing Monarch as Babylon last night I received Monarchy from Germany as part of a peace treaty. That should have triggered a wonder in my build lists and the wonder was not yet finished by another civ. But the wonder failed to show up. Has anyone else received techs in deals and not been able to build the wonders associated with them?

Lucilla's Answer: Another explanation could be, that you don't know all civs yet. I'm not sure whether you would be informed about a wonder being finished by a civ you didn't have contact with.

Thanks Lucilla. That could be it. The game was on the setting with the most ocean space and it's possible my group of civs was far enough behind others on techs to make this explanation right on.
Old May 3, 2002, 17:08   #243
Bautou
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:12
Quote:
Originally posted by jshelr
Lucilla's Answer: Another explanation could be, that you don't know all civs yet. I'm not sure whether you would be informed about a wonder being finished by a civ you didn't have contact with.

Thanks Lucilla. That could be it. The game was on the setting with the most ocean space and it's possible my group of civs was far enough behind others on techs to make this explanation right on.
In my current 1.21f game, I've received notifications when another uncontacted and unseen civ has beaten me to a wonder.
Old May 5, 2002, 00:27   #244
ReallyClang
Settler

Local Time: 23:12
I'm not sure if this is a bug of 1.21 or 1.17 but I used to be able to remove old units from an army with the J command. If I had an army of tanks I would move it to a stack of individual tanks, select one of the individual tanks and move it to another square with J. This moved all the tanks including the ones in the army leaving an empty army which I could then fill with modern armour units. This no longer works in 1.21 - the tanks remain in the army. Is that how it is supposed to work?
Old May 5, 2002, 02:29   #245
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:12
Two bugs
Here are two bugs I have found in 1.21f:

Barbarian Encampment Bug
When I disperse barbarian encampments with Warriors, the focus does not move to the next unit after combat. The active unit remains the warrior even though the warrior has no movement points left. Other things are wrong as well when this happens - other units will tend to keep the focus later on, and I have also experienced one or two crashes.

Draw Buffer Bug
If CIV3 is run a few times between reboots, I sometimes get the error "Unable to allocate draw buffer; terminating program" when I start CIV3. TO fix this, I must reboot.

Details
OS is Win98 SE
256Mb RAM
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 video card
Soundblaster AudioPCI sound card

Playing with a mod (see attachment). Mod introduces nothing new (no new units, buildings and the like), but changes various settings in the game. Mod details are included in the zip file.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip civ3mod.zip (17.9 KB, 4 views)
Old May 5, 2002, 06:58   #246
PhoenixPhlame73
Chieftain

ReallyClang, I'm not sure, but what you're describing was probably a bug before the patch, i don't think you are supposed to be able to move units out of armies....
Old May 5, 2002, 07:09   #247
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:12
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=49304

two graphics bugs/glitches
Old May 5, 2002, 10:08   #248
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ReallyClang
I'm not sure if this is a bug of 1.21 or 1.17 but I used to be able to remove old units from an army with the J command. If I had an army of tanks I would move it to a stack of individual tanks, select one of the individual tanks and move it to another square with J. This moved all the tanks including the ones in the army leaving an empty army which I could then fill with modern armour units. This no longer works in 1.21 - the tanks remain in the army. Is that how it is supposed to work?
From the v1.21 readme: Fixed stack movement bug involving armies.

So I'd say, yes, that's how it's supposed to work.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old May 5, 2002, 12:20   #249
Seneca
King

I've just installed the patch onto a clean installation, and I can't start the game - I keep getting a Windows dialogue box saying 'DRIVE READ ERROR Please insert Civilisation III Disc into CD drive'.
Old May 5, 2002, 21:07   #250
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Here's a small glitch : I named my latest save "1.21f". The saving / loading box will not display it. But I can still save / load it if I type the name entirely. I suppose it comes from the point I have in "1.21f"

Another bug, specific to 1.21f : I changed some team colours in the editor (only using the 16 first colours, as I've always done without problems). I have some problems with the orange, that I swiched back to the Brits. But still, in my first 1.21 game, the Americans were orange, and in the attached save, the Egyptians are orange.

A more interesting bug : sometimes, a per turn offer is violently rejected by the AI. I know the AI refuses gold per turn which is superior to my profit, but here, the AI refused a luxury. In this saved game, go talk to the French. If you ask them chemistry for printing press, they'll refuse ("I doubt they will accept this proposal"). If you throw 150 gold lump in, they'll accept. But if you throw wine instead, they'll radicalize themselves while refusing. I don't understand why. It seems the French will trade wine only for a luxury.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip frenchrejectwine.zip (168.1 KB, 0 views)
Old May 5, 2002, 22:56   #251
Brundlefly
Prince

1.21 right of passage bug?
I sent a unit of mine into AI territory. The AI gave me the warning message to get out of its territory. I ignored that message and next turn it said get out or declare war, so I declared war. I had no diplomatic agreements active with this civ, just an informal peace. All other civs now treat me as if I broke a ROP agreement. When I try to do an ROP with any civ, they tell me explicitly that I have broken an ROP in the past. This has to be a bug. I've never seen this happen before.
Old May 6, 2002, 03:39   #252
LaRusso
King

well, that's a penalty for basically sneak attacking another civ
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old May 6, 2002, 05:42   #253
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
well, that's a penalty for basically sneak attacking another civ
I wasn't attacking, I just wanted to move my unit to the other side of AI territory and this was the only way I could do it.

If Firaxis intended it to be a penalty, why do I get confusing ROP refusal messages from other civs telling me I broke an ROP when I never had an ROP in the first place? At least, your foreign advisor should pop up and warn you you will never be able to sign an ROP the rest of the game if you proceed with this action.

So I take you have seen this before and it doesn't bother you?
Old May 7, 2002, 08:47   #254
agoodfella
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:12
Sorry if this has already been answered but, how can one get rid of the "pop in the CD to start"...

i.e. how can i start this without the CD...

thanks
Old May 7, 2002, 09:38   #255
Desert Dog
Warlord

Local Time: 15:12
Bugs
I have had several games now where my advisor says I cannot trade with some nation but when I go into the trade screen I can trade.
Workers on automatic will constantly irrigate and then mine over and over. I know there is a command to stop them from doing this. However, once I use that command even though there are tiles to be worked the worker will skate off to another city never finishing the tiles at city I want. This is VERY annoying when on large worlds with 50+ cities using 60+ workers is just to much.
Quite a few other bugs but I think most have been spoken about even though it is not know what Firaxis is actually fixing.
Old May 8, 2002, 00:01   #256
CyberGnu
King

agoodfella, go to gamecopyworld

of course, you should only use this if you actually own the game, but since the game still seems to be a beta version, I guess you are in the moral clear.
Old May 8, 2002, 00:10   #257
Scientia
Settler

Local Time: 18:12
Re: Bugs
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dog
I have had several games now where my advisor says I cannot trade with some nation but when I go into the trade screen I can trade.
The advisor will give this message when there is no road/harbor/airport route connecting your capital the the capital of the other civ. The restriction on trading in this situation seems to be limited to luxuies and resources

Quote:
Workers on automatic will constantly irrigate and then mine over and over. I know there is a command to stop them from doing this. However, once I use that command even though there are tiles to be worked the worker will skate off to another city never finishing the tiles at city I want. This is VERY annoying when on large worlds with 50+ cities using 60+ workers is just to much.
The command to automate while leaving current improvements alone is SHIFT-A. The command to automate only the current city is SHIFT-I. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a command that combines both.
Old May 8, 2002, 10:13   #258
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

I believe (CTRL)-(SHIFT)-(I) will do this.
Old May 8, 2002, 18:42   #259
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:12
One thing that I just noticed, maybe its been mentioned before, its proably not a bug, but annoys me, is that when I have a queue full of say, Mws, then learn chivalry, one would hope that the mws in the queue would be all replaced with knights. instead, its just the one being produced, then my city wants to put out a pikeman. quite annoying when you have 20 cities do that in a span of 3 turns.
Old May 8, 2002, 19:08   #260
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
If Firaxis intended it to be a penalty, why do I get confusing ROP refusal messages from other civs telling me I broke an ROP when I never had an ROP in the first place?
I second this information. It has been a bug in 1.17f too. I reported it, but it got not fixed. I also had no RoP (and never had before), and got penaltized this way after attacking a civ, even though I declared war before the attack.

I found another strange thing, that looks like a bug to me: I (playing Iroquois) have several cities with both iron and horses in their resource box, that are able to build Mounted Warriors and Knights at the same time. This shouldn't be so, as I can upgrade MW's to Knights. I have a city screenshot and a savegame and will post them on request.
Old May 8, 2002, 20:33   #261
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

When adding new Luxury resources, the city screen crashes whenever I transport a new luxury to it. May be to do with the luxury graphics, though there are 16 slots in the graphics file.. maybe I need to add a new civolpedia entry. Or maybe this isn't implented yet? I've changed tonnes of other stuff in this scenario too.
I think having ,say 16 luxuries could be interesting, making it harder to cut off a civs luxury supply as theres so many.
Old May 9, 2002, 11:46   #262
surt
Settler

I didn't see if this had been mentioned before, but in 1.21, if you set modified values for the base/improved output of tiles, only they improved values are used.
Old May 9, 2002, 13:10   #263
Alanus
Warlord

When a localized Patch v1.21f ?
Good to back on this forum after quite a while. But CivIII deserves this, I guess.

It is seems that I have the same issue than some others with patch 1.21 : I get a message requesting to insert the CD while launching the patched CivIII.

I have a French localized version (1.16f). The game is protected with Laserlok (checked with Clony). Is it the same protection with the original US version ?

I know that there must be noCD cracks somewhere, but I hate these protection issues when I have purchased the game.

Does anyone have an idea when Infogrames will release localized version of patch 1.21f ?
Old May 9, 2002, 18:19   #264
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Alanus: There are a lot of rants about this in the German Infogrames forum. The admin said, they are working on all localized 1.21f right now, btw. in France, and will finish roughly in mid of May. But it would be not the first time, that Infogrames lies.
Old May 10, 2002, 07:33   #265
Alanus
Warlord

Sir Ralph :

thanks for the information. I cannot read German, but I checked the French forum of Infogrames, and eventually posted a new thread on this topic.
The admin wrote a few days ago that he didn't even know when it would be released

Trouble is, I don't care about the localization (I can translate myself the modified texts) : the only thing I want is a working .exe
Old May 10, 2002, 07:57   #266
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by jshelr
Q: Playing Monarch as Babylon last night I received Monarchy from Germany as part of a peace treaty. That should have triggered a wonder in my build lists and the wonder was not yet finished by another civ. But the wonder failed to show up. Has anyone else received techs in deals and not been able to build the wonders associated with them?
You should get notification of a wonder being built whether you have contact with the civ or not. Also, if you hit [F7] or [F8] (can't remember which... and I'm at work...) you will get a list of all wonders currently built or being built.

Hope that helps.
Old May 10, 2002, 15:59   #267
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

a worker "harvest's" a forest , so far so good , .....but then he plants the forest again , cuts it down again , and , ......10 new shields , over and over again .............grrrrrr

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 17:29   #268
Redstar
Warlord

you only get the 10 shield bonus once now..i thought.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:05   #269
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Redstar
That's correct, it was changed in version 1.16.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:38   #270
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Redstar
hi ,

check again , saw it a dozen times , with 1.21 final , on sveral different comp and programs , makes no sence , ......they fixed it , and now its back , .....

have a nice day