Old April 19, 2002, 11:10   #1
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 17:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What we are missing...
What we are missing from Civ3, besides MP of course, is the ability to create true scenarios. The inclusion of an events editor or some sort of scripting language is essential for building scenarios. The mod community is not the same as the scenario creation community, two different purposes and results. Want to know specifically what we are missing? Just check out some of the Middle Ages scenarios built for Civ2...

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2scenmed.shtml

I know some here do not care for scenarios but a lot of other civers do, as evident from the number of quality scenarios still being developed in Civ2. It is my fervant wish that they are working on a Civ2 scenario editor for Civ3, much in the same manner as Civ3 MP. I really hope that they are not counting the mods as scenarios because even with the new patch, not a single scenario have been or can be developed.
Old April 19, 2002, 11:47   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 18:14
Believe it or not, Firaxis is aware of this and working on it. The editor is moving in that direction and you can see some "not yet implemented" options on the tabs that lead me to believe that they are working on it.
Old April 19, 2002, 12:02   #3
Random Passerby
Warlord

Local Time: 23:14
Personally, what I miss most is the ability to create real mods, which is rather sad since the editor has been mostly focusing on mods (changing rules) rather than scenarios (giving specific situations).
Old April 19, 2002, 14:28   #4
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 23:14
Steve, we'll just have to wait for them to finish this:

Quote:
The triggers and events are probably the coolest part of our scenario tech. They are both driven through a custom scripting language that we've developed. We went with scripts as our system for doing this for several reasons. First, the language allows scenario designers to have a huge amount of control over the game. Anything that the game can do, we can provide an interface for the designer to do with a script. ... designers can script custom, very detailed victory conditions and individual triggers that take many factors into consideration. This gives scenarios the potential to be interesting in many more ways than the standard random map games can be.

... I built the interface between scripts and the game. This library consists of hundreds of events, triggers, and information functions. Scenario designers can use these to create a virtually unlimited number of different occurrences in their games. I'm constantly adding to this library as our scenario designers come up with new ideas for things that [they]want to do with scenarios.

We also plan to create visual tools for using the scripting language easily. These should probably be sufficient for most users. [This means 'an events editor'.]

In addition, we're also working on an in-game development environment for creating and debugging scripts for people wanting to utilize the full power of creating custom scripts. [Like CTP2's SLIC.]
BTW, that's Ike Ellis of Big Huge Games talking.
Old April 19, 2002, 21:35   #5
Steve Clark
King

Every once in a while, I think about Firaxis' statement that Civ3 will have all of the scenario creation ability of Civ2 and more. It probably still will for the Civ3 MGE, but it seems curious that they released some of the more advanced editing capabilities but left out the most fundamental feature for making scenarios. Sort of like a luxury car without an engine.

Ike and BHG know what they are talking about regarding scenarios and editing (again, this is NOT modding), but why do they have to be such RTS bigots?
Old April 19, 2002, 23:19   #6
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Every once in a while, I think about Firaxis' statement that Civ3 will have all of the scenario creation ability of Civ2 and more. It probably still will for the Civ3 MGE, but it seems curious that they released some of the more advanced editing capabilities but left out the most fundamental feature for making scenarios. Sort of like a luxury car without an engine.

Ike and BHG know what they are talking about regarding scenarios and editing (again, this is NOT modding), but why do they have to be such RTS bigots?

That is why Civ 3 remains a beta product released by an arrogant company.
Old April 20, 2002, 01:12   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i could rant here, but i wont. Firaxis is working on the "robust editor" that was proclaimed to be in the box. oops, thats almost a rant.
Old April 20, 2002, 23:39   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
maybe we could give treads like this a rest for (just) a while?????????please ;-)
Old April 21, 2002, 00:23   #9
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 09:14
I agree. If you all dislike the game so much, go and play something else and stop coming here and ranting about how much you dislike the game.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:29   #10
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

but just for a while, please do come back!!!! :-)
Old April 21, 2002, 00:41   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

according to the April 2002 PCWorld Magizine, Gripes are an effective way to get major changes. It does mention that email is a less effective measure, but it proclaims that an angry swarm of people often seems to get their way.

as of now, my mother's legal team is looking into the advertising of civilization 3 to see if there was any false advertising. i have suffered great emotional trauma after being subjected to their lack of promised out of box multiplayer and "robust editor". i doubt i have a case, but might as well look into it.

and if not i'm sure the bbb might like hearing about it anyway.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:43   #12
alva
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
according to the April 2002 PCWorld Magizine, Gripes are an effective way to get major changes. It does mention that email is a less effective measure, but it proclaims that an angry swarm of people often seems to get their way.

as of now, my mother's legal team is looking into the advertising of civilization 3 to see if there was any false advertising. i have suffered great emotional trauma after being subjected to their lack of promised out of box multiplayer and "robust editor". i doubt i have a case, but might as well look into it.

and if not i'm sure the bbb might like hearing about it anyway.
i bet you have, lol
i for one hope you stay on these these boards , lol
Old April 21, 2002, 00:47   #13
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

bbb...

Pfff. Don't you know you catch more flies with beer than with vinegar?
Old April 21, 2002, 00:51   #14
alva
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
bbb...

Pfff. Don't you know you catch more flies with beer than with vinegar?
why isn't this a job....... catching flies with beer i mean

allthough at the this very moment my best friend is mr. calvados
Old April 21, 2002, 00:52   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

you catch more rats with lawsuits.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:57   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Have fun...
Old April 21, 2002, 00:58   #17
alva
Deity

Quote:
lol

you can do better