Old April 21, 2002, 15:23   #31
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This should give you a little more background on my avatar: http://www.lambiek.net/dupa.htm
Old April 21, 2002, 17:17   #32
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 23:15
I haven’t got Civ3 yet so I don’t know, but modern aircraft should be able to fly really far! What would be cool would be stuff like air-tanker things, so when aircraft are given targets to far for them to go, if they pass one of these tankers they can do a mid air re-fuel thing then fly off to their target. This is probably like asking god for imortality (That guy never gives it does he!), so this is just something I’d like after they’ve ironed out the bad points!
Old April 21, 2002, 18:57   #33
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 19:15
Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
I haven’t got Civ3 yet so I don’t know, but modern aircraft should be able to fly really far! What would be cool would be stuff like air-tanker things, so when aircraft are given targets to far for them to go, if they pass one of these tankers they can do a mid air re-fuel thing then fly off to their target. This is probably like asking god for imortality (That guy never gives it does he!), so this is just something I’d like after they’ve ironed out the bad points!
I am uncertain if Firaxis has an iron big enough to iron out the wrinkles in Civ3.

And as far as aircraft range Hazie- when/if you get the game, you WILL be disappointed.
Old April 21, 2002, 20:16   #34
Captain
King

Local Time: 18:15
yes, i agree.
throw in another voice asking for better range values.

admittedly, i have ulterior motives. if they allow different values than 0-8 and infinity, i would eliminate the "RR" and create instead the "Locomotive". similar to the helicopter, but with less range, say like 16-24 tiles (based on map size). that would get rid of that heavily unbalancing infinite ground movement once RRs come into play. then position/distance will finally be a factor in strategy, instead of the ridiculous instanteous front-line reinforcement.

Can helicopters be intercepted? i must admit i haven't used them yet. if so, then locos could be intercepted too, that would be cool. that's like a bombing run on the train (an "easy" target to hit since their paths are already defined!). think how much strategy that would add! you'd have to choose between quick & risky transport or slow and safe transport. what's the most important unit to move? you can't do them all!
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old April 21, 2002, 20:20   #35
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:15
Very good ideas Captain. Did you see the thread where alternatives to current RR were discussed?
Old April 21, 2002, 20:32   #36
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Very good ideas Captain. Did you see the thread where alternatives to current RR were discussed?
nye, is that a recent one? I remember participating in a few months ago, but I haven't really been around the forums as much since there. only a couple posts since late feb and i really just got back here because of the new patch release. still don't have my civ3 game back tho so i can't really do anything more than talk about ideas. otherwise i wish i could contribute more by actually testing some of this stuff out.

OT: i like your new avatar. last time i saw it, it was like some roman legionary or something. I'm sad to say many other posters who have been very helpful and constructively critical in the past have become less "civil", so I'm glad to see you're still around -your posts are always level-headed and constructive.
Salve!
Old April 21, 2002, 20:48   #37
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:15
Found it...

It was your thread!

It is good to hear from you again. I kinda think the general forum has improved. A lot. The last few days have seen the renewal of some complaints, but that is understandable as some people check back in for the patch and some others use the occassion to find new complaints. I have to admit, some of the whi... critics are getting pretty inventive. OTOH, some of the people who have checked back in have expressed that they are very happy with the progress. Who knows, maybe someday we'll be complaining about how Civ4 is so utterly disappointing when compared to the perfection of 3. There would be great irony in that.

Salve
Old April 21, 2002, 21:22   #38
Captain
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Found it...

It was your thread!

It is good to hear from you again. I kinda think the general forum has improved. A lot. The last few days have seen the renewal of some complaints, but that is understandable as some people check back in for the patch and some others use the occassion to find new complaints. I have to admit, some of the whi... critics are getting pretty inventive. OTOH, some of the people who have checked back in have expressed that they are very happy with the progress. Who knows, maybe someday we'll be complaining about how Civ4 is so utterly disappointing when compared to the perfection of 3. There would be great irony in that.

Salve
I guess that means most people are happy with RR the way it is... too bad! I think there's a lot to be said for restricting movement. more balance, and much, much more strategy. of course, that might mean the ai goes belly up....

that reminds me, i don't understand why so many folks idolize civ 2. sure it was great, but the ai sucked bad. it was way too easy to steamroll over them. when civ 3 gets MP and a really good editor, it'll for sure be better than civ 2. the only downside is how much they've hardcoded.

I agree that sometimes the "critics" can be very amusing, I think especially of danimals threads. not particularly helpful, but really funny. lots of laugh mileage if not taken seriously.

And not to hijack this thread for RR, I just think it gives an extra reason to ask for more aircraft range. (I do see a problem though, and that is that wider ranges, eg. for interception, will mean more pathfinding & other algorithms, esp as a range of 16 would have envelopes involving dozens of cities - could get very confusing and certainly more resource/time-consuming.)

btw, I'm now at 284 posts. Does that mean i get to be a prince in 16 posts from now?
Old April 22, 2002, 12:03   #39
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 23:15
let me get this strait, you can move units from one end of a continent to the other in one turn with rail roads?

I do agree that it should take a few turns, and making them look like the trains in simcity would be cool. Being able to bomb them would force people to have to build railways through rows of AA defenses, of course this would only work if aircraft have long range!