Old April 25, 2002, 10:03   #91
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 01:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

That's the whole point. You have to make the game evolve more smoothly. You don't just discover Tank Warfare (or whatever) and boom you can churn out tanks in every city. There has to be a part of the game based on industrial infrastructure.

BTW, that's the way the real world works. He who gets the strongest military technology, wins. Although there are other factors, but I'm not going to teach you about warfare.
I guess we'll need to wait for Civ4 then.

P.S.
On the other hand, from gameplay perspective losing tank to spearmen once in 20 times is NO PROBLEM.

Is it really realistic?
No.
Old April 25, 2002, 10:08   #92
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm not going to wait for CIV4... I'm already working on my own game.

I don't have too much of a problem with the tank vs spearmen because I usually only attack if I know I can win (after bombarding). But I am against it in principle.
Old April 25, 2002, 11:38   #93
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 19:16
Re: spearmen waste tanks
Quote:

Yeah, but come on.... In the ME, for example, I haven't heard of any reports of Israel losing any tanks to the Palestinians. And they have AK-47's and other types of modern weapons. In the Gulf War, tank vs tank... the Coalition LOST ZERO to enemy fire.
Factual update:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1822307.stm
The Merkava 3 is "one of the most modern and heavily protected tanks in the world." This is real life equivalent of primitive warriors v. modern machines.

Concerning U.S. v. Iraq: Friendly fire is an inevitable result of combat with modern weapons. The units were still destroyed, the soldiers killed.

Last edited by Zachriel; April 25, 2002 at 15:29.
Old April 25, 2002, 15:44   #94
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 16:16
Quote:
My solution to this problem involves two steps.

1. Make combat outcomes more realistic (spearmen will never be tank)

BUT

2. Make evolution of technology more realistic so that one civ can climb up the tree while his neighbor sits idly by.

Weapons of warfare have not just developed in isolation. They have been battle tested and constantly improved upon. It's an arms race.
The problem has pretty much been solved with the addition of the hit point bonuses in the latest patch. If it bothers you that much, just go into the editor and play around with the the values. With a little tinkering, a Modern Era unit will never be able to be defeated by an Ancient unit.

Or if you like, add an era specific folder with some updated graphics for the units that you hate losing to. With these options, you should never have to complain about it ever again.

This whole argument has become redundant, and I really hope I don't have to read anyone's whines about again.
Old April 25, 2002, 15:51   #95
steelehc
Prince

Local Time: 14:16
NYE: Thanks for the save and screenshots. That does change my opinion that such an event is possible of happening, but I still have a hard time believing that it happens regularly. I am not asking for more screenshots or whatever as proof, but please don't expect me to freely accept 5 spearmen destroying 4 tanks, or any other scenario happening anything more then rarely.

Steele
Old April 25, 2002, 16:45   #96
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by steelehc
NYE: Thanks for the save and screenshots. That does change my opinion that such an event is possible of happening, but I still have a hard time believing that it happens regularly. I am not asking for more screenshots or whatever as proof, but please don't expect me to freely accept 5 spearmen destroying 4 tanks, or any other scenario happening anything more then rarely.

Steele
I think in the 600,000,000 year history of civilization (1000 players x 100 games each x 6000 years per game), almost anything is possible!
Old April 26, 2002, 02:07   #97
Hurricane
Warlord

Quote:
BTW, that's the way the real world works. He who gets the strongest military technology, wins. Although there are other factors, but I'm not going to teach you about warfare.
Did Germany win WW2?
Old April 26, 2002, 02:20   #98
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:16
Quote:
Originally posted by steelehc

Steele
I think Grrr!! was pulling our chains and is now sitting back and laughing at how successfully he did it.

I have said it before. I have never lost a Tank to anything older than a Rifleman. I go to war a lot.

I use bombardment, especially if the foe occupies rough terrain. I do not attack with injured units. I never build anything but Vets. I always attack en mass. Silly me.
Old April 26, 2002, 03:46   #99
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 07:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

Did Germany win WW2?
Yeah, but the Germans were stupid. One of them other factors Sava was referring to.
Old April 26, 2002, 04:09   #100
Hurricane
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
Yeah, but the Germans were stupid. One of them other factors Sava was referring to.
It´s stupid to attack a fortified, undamaged, veteran Spearman in a Metropolis with a damaged Tank, too.
Old April 26, 2002, 07:24   #101
Zachriel
King

Quote:
That's why the world was conquered and unified in 4000bc with the discovery of organized warfare, or was it in 3000bc with the invention of iron weapons? or was the 2000bc with the advent of mounted units? I was never very good at history. Was the world unified with the invention of gunpowder or was it the development of airpower?

I better check my college textbook.
Old April 26, 2002, 09:29   #102
bigvic
Prince

Quote:
In the real world, the Modern Armor defeats regular old tanks 100 percent of the time. Need proof? There was a little skirmish called the Gulf War. The coalition forces lost 0 tanks to enemy fire.... THATS A BIG O. They did lose tanks to friendly fire because they are stupid.

Of course spearmen are not going to even stand a chance against tanks. The combat system is flawed because its based on a probabilty scale. 100 to 1 chance is still too unrealistic.
In general I agree about wacky combat results, but...
1. Until we all have big blue computational access and "Matrix" like programs, nuthin's purfect. Suspend disbelief and use your imagination. You all do have imaginations, right? Cognitive dissonance?
2. I agree w/ notyoueither. I kind of think the whole spearman beating tank phenom is an elaborate joke/urban legend.
3. There was also a little skirmish called the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. Strange results there. What about spearmen armed to the teeth with laws (light antitank weapons) or rpg's (Soviet man portable at weapons)?

i like ibble blibble
Old April 26, 2002, 09:58   #103
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Sure we can suspend disbelief. But for me the game will be better when there are some appropriate graphics that can be used in place of a guy with a longbow.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 26, 2002, 11:02   #104
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 00:16
An armoured brigade/division has a lot more than just tanks and tank crews in it. Cut off its fuel supplies and a whole formation can be neutralised without anyone firing a shot. Combat results (especially for a "year" of fighting) represent a lot more than just tank A knocks out tank B. More losses occur from infection, disease, accident and general fatigue or wear and tear than from physical combat. Civ, like many other games, levies no cost on just putting the military units in the field and keeping them there. In the real world that cost is vast, which is why wars have typically been far more expensive to fight than they were worth, even for the "winner". The occasional loss of a superior unit helps make sure that the winner at least has to pause to weigh up the cost for a second before leaping to attack.
Old April 26, 2002, 17:15   #105
PGM
Prince

Local Time: 23:16
Quote:
But I don't think that spearmen beating a tank is fun. It's stupid.
Combat can't always go your way. Stupidity, caos and the unexpected are an integrant part of war. Many battles in History were lost due to these aspects.
BTW, I've played well over 100 combats involving Modern Armors and Spearman/Pikemen and can't recall losing a single unit. But I've lost a Tank to a Spearman, and I liked it.
Old April 26, 2002, 17:58   #106
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
Sure we can suspend disbelief. But for me the game will be better when there are some appropriate graphics that can be used in place of a guy with a longbow.
Longbows (or at least, bows) were used by American Special Forces units in Southeast Asia during World War 2 as ambush weapons. No noise, no flash... and lighter to carry. So, when your tanks are attacked by longbowmen, just think of guys in camo picking off your forces from treetops and thickets. Especially if you're playing the Japanese.
Old April 26, 2002, 23:07   #107
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by PGM

Combat can't always go your way. Stupidity, caos and the unexpected are an integrant part of war. Many battles in History were lost due to these aspects.
BTW, I've played well over 100 combats involving Modern Armors and Spearman/Pikemen and can't recall losing a single unit. But I've lost a Tank to a Spearman, and I liked it.
few truer words have been spoken

please stop this discussion
seen it, been there, done that
Old April 26, 2002, 23:55   #108
LoneWolf
Settler

Local Time: 17:16
Never seen it . Not once. Not one single time. Seems to have taken on mythical status. Non-issue. Even if it did, do you think the armies with the tanks always win in real life? Answer-NO!
Old April 27, 2002, 12:50   #109
Crazy_Vasey
Settler

Local Time: 23:16
Quote:
Originally posted by PatLasch
The worst that I've ever had was a musketeer fortified in a city defeated by a regular warrior. That darn warrior razed my city too.
Must have been Rambo
Old April 27, 2002, 20:23   #110
Denday
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:16
Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf
Never seen it . Not once. Not one single time. Seems to have taken on mythical status. Non-issue. Even if it did, do you think the armies with the tanks always win in real life? Answer-NO!
Don't get me wrong tanks do lose battles but
never,never to spearmen come on its not like they could penetrate its armour.
the driver might just have fun running them over.
Old April 27, 2002, 20:28   #111
Denday
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:16
Quote:
Originally posted by player1

I guess we'll need to wait for Civ4 then.

But how long will that take
(sniff)