Old April 20, 2002, 16:24   #1
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Just a few 1.21f questions...
Alright, well, I downloaded this Thursday and all in all I haven't had a whole lot of luck with it.

1. It seems that the game crashes when I complete a wonder, but not when any other civilization does... is this most likely a wonder splash problem? How can I fix it?

2. Is it just me, or is the AI really suped up in 1.21? It seems like they're having huge advantages in the early era, or perhaps the player's civilization is just greatly retarded at the beginning? Like I said before, I have seen AI civilizations building the Great Library in 400 BC where in the games I have played prior to 1.21, the average completion year (even for me) was 100 BC or later.

3. Has the world-builder gone completely bizerk for anyone else? I get these maps started with almost 2/3 of it jungle squares! And that's not even on a wet, warm world either.
Though perhaps its not the WHOLE map, maybe just where the player starts EVERY game...

That's all for now...

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old April 20, 2002, 16:34   #2
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:18
1) ?!
2) Try a lower level.
3) Change your custom world settings.
Old April 20, 2002, 16:59   #3
Dom Pedro II
King

I've already tried playing at a lower level, and the AI still far surpasses me by the ADs... I end up around 9 techs behind the leading civilization!! Even on Warlord!! It's absurd.

If you are referring to the custom map settings before you start a game, I set it to Cold/Arid, and all I get is mostly jungle, desert, and tundra... oh, and lots and lots of mountains. A very hospitable world indeed.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old April 20, 2002, 17:51   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 18:18
i started a diety game as Persia today. as i usually do, i started scouting around for a start spot (diety games never give you too good of a start). four turns into the game, i bump into france, who has 4 workers, 2 wandering warriors, and a settler / spearman combo, walking to my start location. remember, 4th turn of the game.

i said screw it and bumped down to emperor. pretty decent so far.
Old April 20, 2002, 18:41   #5
Dom Pedro II
King

Plan B
Ok, here's what I've done since nobody has an explanation for this, and since its clearly affecting other people.

I made new Player Properties giving the player 2 Settlers and 3 Workers at the beginning of each game. I HAD to put that many workers because it takes that many just to clear enough space through the jungle to found a second city. I also reduced the turns for clear jungle from 16 to 4. It's working fairly well so far...

I'll try to download new wonder splashes from somewhere and see if that stops the game from crashing when I build wonders.

Old April 20, 2002, 18:56   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:18
Dom Pedro. It sounds as if your patch may have gone awry. You may want to uninstall civ3, reinstall and repatch. Maybe download the patch again just to be safe. If you don't manually delete the current civ3 directory you should keep your hall of fame, etc.

I don't know where you sit on the power-user curve so forgive me if I am being impertinent, but if you have other software open or too much going on in the background when you install or patch, you can get very unfortunate results.
Old April 20, 2002, 19:57   #7
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:18
I started a deity game and had a mass of mountains and jungle surrounding me (but with enough to get started) . OK

Within a few turns I'm running into groups of 6-8 warriors from both the egyptians and iroquois.

I think I'll also start at a lower level. I want to play one with default before I start mod-ing).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.