Old April 20, 2002, 17:46   #1
Kizami
ACDG The Free Drones
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Seemingly pointless wars in Civ
I am currently engaged in a massive global war on a standard size map, with the dificulty level set as Warlord. However this war on a tactical or strategic level is pointless. Since the map is made up of a bunch of large to mid-size islands this war is primarily a naval one. I have been involved with this conflict only for about 10 or so turns but in that time i have beat up on England's navy quite a bit (England is one the world's 2 dominating super powers, with me being the other one.)I had been shooting for a spaceship victory ( i have 9 out of the 10 parts required completed.) the only problem was that i had only 24 or so turns left in the game and it was going to take me about 27 turns to reaserch all the techs leading up to "the Laser".So i decided that the only way i was going to win the game was by winning it by means of diplomacy. Out of all of the remaning powers (4 excluding myself) only one wasn't furious with me,(i had a really bad rep.) so i spent a few turns giving tons and i mean tons of gifts to them unfortunately for me i wasn't gitting too far that way so i signed a few mutual protection pacts with France and Germany. A turn later a declared war with England thereby bringing both France and Germany onto my side with Persa taking up arms with England. (i am still currently playing this game.)I then signed military alliances with both France and Germay agianst England. I figure that this will some what improve my rep and since i have built the U.N. i can win the diplomatic victory with a war ironic isn't it?

I just wanted to know if anyone else had done somthing similar to this and if it worked or not.
Old April 21, 2002, 08:30   #2
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So did you win?

You could have tried raising money to boost your tech rate - selling ROPS, Resources, Techs or Cities. Or disband armies & sell improvements to raise cash.

Your suggestion seemed an effective plan for victory, but if it seemed less that satisfying, that's why many players disable diplomatic, as it can be too easily to bribe your way to victory.
Old April 21, 2002, 12:09   #3
Kizami
ACDG The Free Drones
Chieftain

Yes i did in fact win, but not with a diplomatic victory. With about 15 turns left in the game i was able to negotiate a peace treaty with the English and i was able to get computers from them in return for a peace treaty. Since i was about to finish the tech that i had been reasearching i was able to reasearch the laser and finish the spaceship in 2042. I got lucky.
Old April 21, 2002, 16:20   #4
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kizami
Yes i did in fact win, but not with a diplomatic victory. With about 15 turns left in the game i was able to negotiate a peace treaty with the English and i was able to get computers from them in return for a peace treaty. Since i was about to finish the tech that i had been reasearching i was able to reasearch the laser and finish the spaceship in 2042. I got lucky.
Nice one There are often many solutions to a given situation.
Old April 23, 2002, 00:36   #5
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 17:18
Since you were able to give the AI generous gifts, I assume you had a fair amount of gold (this is just an assumption). Couldn't you have boosted your science research as high as possible (even if you were losing gold, it wouldn't really matter) to get to the techs you needed even if you couldn't have negotiated for computers? Or were you already doing that?

I agree, very nice one. I haven't even won on warlord yet.
Old April 23, 2002, 01:19   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:18
You are discovering that there are very many levels to this game.

Some people would disagree with me (vehemently) but I believe that the elegance of the design is in the number of possiblilities from such a 'simple' game.
Old April 23, 2002, 10:18   #7
Cort Haus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Playa del Carmen
I haven't even won on warlord yet.
Why not? What goes wrong?
Old April 23, 2002, 17:15   #8
Kizami
ACDG The Free Drones
Chieftain

Carmen, i was getting around 165 gold per turn. So i did have some cash And i was alread maxing my science reasarch as much as i could (100% of my tax return went to science). The problem was i wasn't going to reasarch it all in time.

*By the way when i fought the "pointless war" it was primarly a Naval war with little ground combat. My homeland was only subject to a few bombing raids by the English, other than that it was completly safe from enemy incursion. It was just my ships v. the a.i.'s. It was very cool. Also i belive that on Warlord the A.I. wastes time and energy building carriers which they never truely used. (they never put aircraft on them). And although i did have a few battleship v. battleship battles they were few and far between becouse i had such a tech lead. However the Germans for one were catching up fast. Also when i did use ground forces the were conscript infantry. I used my far-flung seemingly useless colonies to "conscript farm" or just build up their population to about 12 pop-points and then draft 2 conscript infantry a turn. I did this in about 5 cities just to see if it would work. It does and from these 5 cities i was creating about 8-10 infantry per turn in cities that before were completly useless becouse of corruption. (under a communist gov. can draft 2 citizens a turn.
Old April 25, 2002, 17:51   #9
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 23:18
I got 6 other civs declaring war on the chinese, a medium sized power that hadnt really annoyed anyone... but that may have been because myself and the other main superpower england had a military allience against them already. Still its satisfying to see your diplomatic efforts pay off so spectaculary...