Old April 21, 2002, 00:40   #1
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 18:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
withdrawing from territory
I've noticed that when I have one unit in another civs territory, i will get a warning but it won't be moved automatically. But when I have a large force, the AI doesn't give me that one turn to get out. Does the AI recognize a specific number as being an invasion force? Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone know the threshold and is it units per city radius or throughout the AI's territory?
Old April 21, 2002, 00:46   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i've noticed it and seen it with a stack of 3 units. not sure if thats an official unit count, but it's probably there to give them the appearance of an advanced AI.

i also think if u get too close to their cities (like right next to them) they auto-expel you.
Old April 21, 2002, 00:59   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:19
Minor territorial violations I make result in 'requests' and 'I'll get them out right away' responses from myself. I tried to use this to my advantage and advance into striking positions as I was about to declare war. This was the first time I had done it this way and I was surprised to find that it was automatic removal or declaration of war, and war it became.

JB
Old April 21, 2002, 13:26   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

JB-

that is what I've found too. Usually I only encroach when i can't hit a city in one turn, and I want that initial strike to wipe out the ai.
Old April 21, 2002, 13:36   #5
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 17:19
Could it also have to do with how powerful you are overall? In some games where I have a powerful military, I've noticed if I'm just trying to get one or two units through another civ's territory, they'll ask me to leave, but if I haven't withdraw promptly they don't seem to want to push the matter.
Old April 21, 2002, 20:57   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 16:19
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
JB-
that is what I've found too. Usually I only encroach when i can't hit a city in one turn, and I want that initial strike to wipe out the ai.
"Initial strike to wipe out the ai"??
I (Iroquois) have been fighting the Americans for 150 years (1500-1650AD). I've been a Republic all this time, with a superior army. I am the aggressor, and have not had any unhappiness except for one in each of my native 12-size cities (7 luxuries).

I'm about to get rails, so it may be time to call off the war and go Democracy (oops! I don't know Democracy yet).

Playa del Carmen --
I had the larger army (according to my F3), but I had several stacks cross the border at the same time. There may have been someone adjacent to one of his cities, but much of my units were cavalry (so might NOT have been adjacent).

JB
Old April 21, 2002, 21:05   #7
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

"Initial strike to wipe out the ai"??
I (Iroquois) have been fighting the Americans for 150 years (1500-1650AD). I've been a Republic all this time, with a superior army. I am the aggressor, and have not had any unhappiness except for one in each of my native 12-size cities (7 luxuries).

JB
well, I do tend to become a little too conservative and wait til I can kill everything in a turn or two. but what I meant was wiping out the counter abilities of the AI and crippling the AI, I was just overstating the issue.
Old April 22, 2002, 12:57   #8
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 17:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

I'm about to get rails, so it may be time to call off the war and go Democracy (oops! I don't know Democracy yet).
I like to build up troops and declare war after my enemy has RRs installed. As you take the first line of cities their borders move back and you can take the second line, and repeat. Of course, this takes alot of units and if their culture is strong the borders may still be too much for a one turn knock-out, but you can do serious damage. My personal best is taking 20 cities in one turn from Haiwatha. I could've taken more but I ran out of modern armor.