Old April 21, 2002, 18:28   #1
NeuromaniaC
Settler

Local Time: 01:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Group Howto
Can someone indicate a group howto?
That is a howto on: how to assemble groups, what does assemble to cursor mean and when is it most advisable to use groups, in regard to the group actions available.
I ask this because I happen to play a SP game in which I have over 30 Needlejets stacked and moving them from one "corner" of the Planet to the other is a real nightmare!

P.S.: Ah.. and is there any chat room for smac player @Apolyton, because I feel I have somehow flooded the board with questions? My apologies.
Old April 21, 2002, 18:33   #2
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Group Howto
Quote:
Originally posted by NeuromaniaC
P.S.: Ah.. and is there any chat room for smac player @Apolyton, because I feel I have somehow flooded the board with questions? My apologies.
No worries, fellow Maniac. If the Apolyton forums crash, we know who to blame.
Old April 21, 2002, 21:32   #3
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 18:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The group 'features' have been broken and non functional since the release of SMAC. Sorry, but you'll have to muddle through one unit at a time, like the rest of us.
Old April 30, 2002, 00:03   #4
John Paul Jones
Prince

Local Time: 23:21
Assemble a group with 'shift-J'
Tick off the options applicable to the group you want to assemble.

With the group assembled, you can use the J key to order them to go to a base.
If you want them to go to anywhere else, click and hold the left mouse button down at the destination and press the J key before releasing to order the whole group there. Groups can also use the way-point feature (hit the spacebar while holding down the left button).

Unfortunately with air units, if the destination is less than their fuel-range (when not ordered to a base) they will stop and wait for further orders so you'll have to ask them to wait ('w') and then the next unit in the group will arrive and so on. It's still a lot less tedius than moving them individually though.
Old April 30, 2002, 11:15   #5
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:21
So far as I know it is brocken. You can half ass do it with a group of all the same movement by assembling them all in the same tile and giving them the same destination.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"