Old April 21, 2002, 19:39   #1
cbraund
Prince

Local Time: 23:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fate of The Dragon
This story is not based on a real Civ3 game, but is complete fiction. Comments are appreciated. It will be updated often, in smaller chunks than I usually write. Oh, and anyone who's ever read Battletech may know a few names, I had to use them cause I don't know many Japanese names!

Mikail Yorinaga stared out over the walls. The cursed Americans had overrun the Chinese, a long-time ally of the Japanese, and now had surrounded Japan's only mainland colony, Hong Kong. He was the Tai-sho of Hong Kong, or the General of it, as those damned Yanks would say. But more than that, he was samurai, and he would die rather than give Japanese land to the United States.

His son and wife were back in Kyoto, the heart and capital of the Land of the Rising Sun, so he could concentrate on the job in hand.

Finally he saw movement, long before any of his lookouts. That was to be expected, as he was amongst the best samurai in Japan.

"Knights to the west!" he called. "Battle stations, for the glory of Japan!"

The gate was breached, and knights were pouring in, expecting the militia to break.

But even common people in Japan had honour. They would not break.

"Fire!" came the order from the Tai-sa in command of the militia regiment.

Volley after volley poured into the American lines, causing many to fall. But they were replaced by yet more knights.

Eventually, the Americans hacked their way through the militia and charged forward, thinking the city was taken, and wanting to pillage and rape.

But then they saw the samurai.

Yorinaga knew that the battle was lost. He had been overwhelmed by over a hundred to one, and now his samurai were the last regiment who hadn't been decimated, not from lack of trying, but because of their skill.

He knew he need give no orders. The Americans would charge on their damned horses and try and break the samurai. He knew that all his men would die, but they had sworn absolute loyalty to the Dragon, and would not fail him.

The Americans charged the samurai.

The two lines met with a clash of swords, the samurai dancing around their heavily armoured opponents. It was chaos, and despite the Americans taking five times as many losses as the samurai, they were gaining the upper hand.

Mikail stabbed into the weak point of another knight's armour, killing him, then looked around. He realised he was the only samurai left alive.

He saw the enemy leader had fallen from his horse, and charged at him. The two fought savagely, with Yorinaga feeling sword after sword stab into him from other soldiers. But he ignored the pain, and finally struck the killing blow to the enemy leader. Then he turned to face his opponents, but was beheaded by a knight before he could see those attacking him.

President Abraham Lincoln snarled at the report.

"How many Americans does it take to kill a few damned Japanese scum?!" he roared. His General in command in China had been killed, foolishly putting himself in the way of danger rather than staying back and directing the battle from a safe place. "That idiot should have stayed away from the battle!"

The casualty list was terrible, but he knew that the American Armed Forces could soak it up with ease. They were the most powerful nation on Earth, after all.

"He decided to lead his men, as any good leader should do once in a while to earn their men's respect. Those who stay back are called cowards, and no one respects them!" Lincoln's Secretary of Defence had had enough of his leader's stupidity.

"How dare you!" Lincoln point at his Detail, and made one give him a pistol. He cocked it.

"This is what happens to those who betray me, or fail me." he snarled as he pulled the trigger.

The SecDef fell to the floor, a large portion of his skull missing from the impact of the pistol ball.

"Promote the second-in-command in China. I know he isn't as good, but make sure he hears of this incident. I'm sure it will improve his performance considerably. Oh, and gte me the plans for the invasion of Japan." he ordered his Foreign Secretary.

Emperor Takashi Kurita, or the Dragon as he was known to the samurai of Japan, glared at his son.

"We will never accept outside help!"

"But father, the English are powerful, and hate the Americans as much as we do!" Shogun of Japan, Theodore Kurita protested. He was the Tai-shu, or Warlord, of the Kyoto Military District, as the heir to the throne, and also that made him the Shogun, second only to the Emperor himself.

"You heard his highness. You must obey him, for he is much wiser than a young one such as you." Tai-sho of Kyoto, and aide to the Dragon, Hideo Brahe spoke quietly. He could challenge Theodore because of his more advanced age, as the older you were, the more wise you were, or so the general thought was in Japan.

Theodore thanked his father for the audience, and bowed, then walked into his study.

He glanced at the notes on his desk. Most were how he would change Japan if he could, if only his father would allow him.

He looked at the organisation for the Japanese military:

Platoon - 5 men - commanded by a Chu-i (Lieutenant)

Squad - 5 platoons(25 men) - commanded by a Tai-i (Captain)

Company - 5 squads(125 men) commanded by a Sho-sa (Major)

Battalion - 5 companies(625 men) commanded by a Chu-sa (Lieutenant-Colonel)

Regiment - 5 battalions(3125 men) commanded by a Tai-sa (Colonel)

Commander of a City - Tai-sho (General)

Commander of a Military District - Tai-shu (Warlord)

Aide to a Tai-shu or Tai-sho - Sho-sho(Brigadier General)

Theodore respected the organisation except for one detail, the Tai-sho. The five Tai-shus(now four with the loss of the Chinese colonies) were the Dragon's most trusted men, and usually didn't interfere in battles, or if they did, would be in the thick of it, leading from the front, which was fine as they were usually the elite of the elite samurai.

But the Tai-shos were more often political appointments, and that meant trouble. They would often try and lead battles, usually from a distant location, and ignore what the Tai-sas were saying, resulting in disaster. When they tried to lead from the front, most were useless, but wouldn't let their subordinates advise them.

Fools, Theodore thought grimly. He would get rid of Tai-shos, and make the rank a reward for good Tai-sas, nothing more. But that would have to wait until he was Emperor.

Akira Yorinaga knew he wanted to defend his country. His mother had enough money from his father to look after herself, and now he was trying to get a job to follow in his father's footsteps. Everyone had heard of Mikail Yorinaga's heroic stand in Hong Kong, and it filled him with pride. Then he head the shouts from the naval officers, who were recruiting.

The Japanese Navy had been based in Hong Kong, but had had to flee. They had made it to Kyoto for few losses, but still had damages to repair and lost men to replace.

Why not? Akira asked himself. He walked over to one of the recruiting officers and signed up for the Navy.

He was now a Sho-i, an ensign in the Japanese Imperial Navy.

Check back tomorrow for another update! This one went for longer than expected, but I was trying to introduce all the main characters. Anyway, comments are appreciated!

Thanks,
Nemesis (AKA Chris)
Old April 22, 2002, 17:17   #2
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:21
not bad

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old April 22, 2002, 17:33   #3
cbraund
Prince

The ships approached Kyoto Harbour silently, as only sail ships could. The Americans were determined to destroy the Japanese Navy once and for all.

Akira, through training with his father, had better eyesight than most of the other lookouts, which was needed as telescopes were rare, only found in Royal Navy and some US Navy ships.

The ship he was on, the TDS Dragon, was the flagship of the Japanese Imperial Navy. TDS stood for The Dragon's Ship, as the Dragon, Takashi Kurita, was the heart and soul of Japan, which followed the code of bushido to the letter.

It had been an honour to be assigned to the flagship, especially as it bore the name of the Emperor. It appeared that some of his father's friends, many of whom were in high places, had pulled strings to get him assigned to this great ship.

And Akira was determined to prove that he could sail in this ship by merit, and not have to rely on his father's greatness to succeed. He had loved his father, but wanted to make his own way, not just follow in his father's footsteps, but to surpass them to make his father proud. All in the service of the Dragon.

The Dragon, a Victory class battleship bought from England, one of the few imports allowed by the Dragon, was at the centre of the shallow U shape the fleet was in, and it was into the centre that the US ships came.

Akira was the first to spot them, on lookout duty as usual, a job which he had taken on with eagerness, knowing his superb eyesight could help him serve the Dragon in that role. He called a warning to the others, and the beat to quarters was sounded. The men jumped from their hammocks, and prepared for battle.

But the 100-gun Dragon wouldn't be cleared in time, and the enemy knew it. They opened fire, with one small frigate which had sneaked in closer firing grapeshot at the Admiral's cabin, where the officers were having a quick discussion to decide on tactics. The grapeshot smashed through the windows, beheading most of the officers and critically injuring those who weren't. The small balls ricocheted around the cabin, killing the last officer to enter the room, and finishing off those who had survived the initial impact.

All the officers were dead. The ship was leaderless. The word spread around the ship like wildfire, as the men still prepared for battle. One or two suggested abandoning ship, but they were thrown over the side.

This was the Dragon's own ship. The crew would never abandon it. They all resolved to fight without a commander, but this soon resulted in chaos, due to the fact that Sho-i was the only non-officer rank. Withot any officers, everyone was equal.

Eventually, Akira had made it down the rigging and heard of the chaos. He climed onto the poop deck, and whistled.

"We need to get organised! All men to the guns! Prepare to give them a broadside they'll not soon forget! A cheer rang out from the men, despite the cannonballs smashing into the ship. They knew this boy. He was the son of one of Japan's greatest servants to the Dragon, and would follow him.

Soon the chaos was resolved, and the broadside was prepared. Usually, the ship would fire in a ripple effect along the ship, but very rarely, a broadside would be fired, all the guns on one side at once. The stress on the ship was great from this, so it was used rarely and sparingly.

"FIRE!" Akira yelled.

The 50 guns on the starboard side of the ship opened fire upon the American lead vessel. The Americans were coming from the east, as Kyoto was on the east side of Japan.

The volley ripped into the smaller ship, a 74 gun 3rd rate. A lucky shot hit a powder monkey, the boys assigned to carry gunpowder up from the hold, and his powder went flying, hitting the man in the gun crew who lit the cannon's fuse. The keg of powder smashed on his head, and he collapsed, the lighted slow burning match tumbling into the pile of gunpowder.

The explosion killed the crews of the nearby guns, and started a large fire. The men rushed to put it out, but it was no use. Other gunpowder kegs, ready by the guns whose crews were now dead to be loaded, caught fire, and began to blow up.

All at once, the 3rd rate ship of the line began to blow up, culminating a huge explosion as the main gunpowder hold burnt.

The Dragon had shown it's teeth.

The Dragon shook as another burst of fire from the enemy flagship poured into her.

The Dragon had sunk two 3rd rates and one frigate, but now the three America class battleships, pride of the American fleet and only slightly inferior to the Victory class, had ganged up on her, and the price was being paid for the ship's earlier luck.

Akira saw the damage done to the enemy flagship by the Dragon's withering fire, and decided that it was now time to fire one last broadside.

He gave the orders, and waited.

"FIRE!" he yelled.

The Dragon opened fire with all of its guns on the starboard side that hadn't been destroyed, due to crews being moved over from the port side which wasn't engaged to replace the dead crews.

The America shuddered as the volley hit her, as did the Dragon and letting loose such firepower.

Now he ordered the ripple effect firing again, hoping to finally finish off the America.

But it was not to be, her sister ships were prowling around the Dragon, which was by far the biggest and deadliest warship in the Japanese fleet. One opened fire on the stern, raking the ship with deadly grapeshot.

The other had prepared heated shot, and finally let loose from the port side, which only had a few guncrews manning it.

The boiling iron balls ripped through the wooden hull, sending shards and splinters of wood flying about, and lodging themselves in the great beams and masts holding the ship up or continuing on to punch their way out the other side of the ship.

But one hit a gunpowder store, smashing open the crates and setting the boxes alight.

Akira had his first and last ship blown out up beneath him.

Theodore once more tried reasoning with his father.

"They will invade Japan! And we need every man we can get, be they dishonourable or not!"

Takashi may have been an old style emperor, but he wasn't stupid. His son had called on him to call a halt to seppuku, suicide after defeat, until after the defence of Japan, as if every man who retreated killed himself there would be few people left to defend Kyoto. It was a departure from the bushido code of honour, but Takashi saw the reasoning behind it.

"Okay, I give the order that anyone who commits seppuku before the American invader is removed from our soil will be cursed in the name of the Dragon, as he has failed to serve me as I would wish him to."

Theodore smiled at his father. He wasn't so daft, after all.

Akira swam ashore, and rested on the beach along with a few of the men from the Dragon. Those who had not been strong enough swimmers to make the swim back to land expected to be picked up by the Americans as prisoners of war.

But as Akira looked out over a sea filled with American warships, with all the Japanese ones having been boarded or destroyed, he saw the men struggling the water stop moving, one by one.

He looked up, and saw men on the bow of the America firing into the water, ending each survivor's life.

The murdering scum were killing the survivors, not rescuing them! This made Akira very angry, but he knew he could not avenge the massacre. Instead, he and his crewmates looked at each other. They all knew they had failed and been defeated, and so would commit ritual seppuku to regain their honour.

They began to trudge back into the centre of Kyoto, each going their seperate ways, going to say goodbye to their families before they committed suicide.

Akira walked instead to the house of an old friend of his father's, who had fought alongside him in many victorious campaigns. He needed an honourable warrior to help him commit seppuku.

"Akira!" Hohiro Ricol, a retired Sho-sho to Akira's father, smiled warmly, bowing.

"Don't bow, I am not a samurai who deserves it. I have failed the Dragon, and so must commit seppuku. I need your help please!" Akira looked at the man pleadingly. He needed to do this to serve the Dragon!

"Akira, you need do no such thing!" the older man said after a moment of shock.

"Don't try and stop me because you knew my father! Treat me as an equal samurai, even if I am not, and help me atone for my failure!"

"I will do no such thing, you have no need to commit seppuku!"

Akira scowled, and rushed past the man, grabbing his sword from the wall where it was hanging.

"If you will not help such a useless samurai, I understand. I will do it myself."

Akira raised the katana, pointing it at his heart.

"Akira, that would be contrary to the wishes of the Dragon!" Hohiro roared in the commanding voice he had used so many times while in the military.

Akira jumped, startled by the man's sudden revival of spirits.

"What?!" he looked confused.

"The Dragon has ordered that anyone who commits seppuku rather than stay alive and help defend Japan will be disgraced for eternity for failing the Dragon. He is wise, and knows that samurai, even defeated ones, are more useful alive to defend Japan rather than dead from their own hand."

"But how do I regain my honour?" a puzzled Akira asked.

"You will fight like the devil himself for the honour of the Dragon, and then if by the time we have driven the invader from Japanese soil you haven't regained your honour, then I will gladly help you commit seppuku. But most disgraced samurai will now fight like demons to try and restore their honour, and so will not only be better samurai by the end of the war, but also be better men, and cause hell for the Americans. See, the Dragon is much wiser than a young boy like you, so listen to his words!" Hohiro spoke commandingly.

Akira smiled, and they spoke for a while about the old times Hohiro had shared with Mikail Yorinaga. Eventually, they decided to go and swear allegiance once more to the Dragon, and join the Army to help defend the Land of the Rising Sun, with Hohiro coming out of his early retirement to defend his homeland once more.

Comments please! And more to come later tonight
Old April 22, 2002, 19:54   #4
cbraund
Prince

Sho-sa Akira Yorinaga looked around at his dejected men. He had started as a Chu-i, or lieutenant as the Yanks would call him, commanding 4 other men in a platoon of 5. None of the others had much training, so he had trained them like crazy ready for when the Americans landed.

His command had been part of the forces in the Tokyo Military District, south of Kyoto. The other two Military Districts other than the Kyoto Military District and the now-defunct Hong Kong Military District were the Osaka Military District, the furthest north, and the Edo Military District, sandwiched between Osaka and Kyoto.

This put his force at completely the wrong end of the thin island that was Japan when the Americans landed in Osaka.

The Osaka Military District's Tai-shu had committed seppuku despite the Dragon's orders after losing the first battle for a minor city, and control was handed to his aide, Hohiro Ricol.

But even a great leader like Ricol couldn't stop the onslaught, and when he finally stopped his retreat at Osaka and determined that he and his men would fight to the last here to inflict heavy losses on the Americans, he had bargained on being able to call a few regiments of troops from the only other city in the District not to have fallen.

If he had got those troops, he would have repulsed the invaders and forced them to commit more troops, maybe so many that they wouldn't have enough left to hope to conquer Japan, Akira was sure. But the Tai-sho in command of the other city, Nagasaki, had refused to send the troops, saying that they were needed in the defence of Nagasaki. Even after it had been pointed out to him that Osaka was much more important, he refused to budge, resulting in the loss of Osaka and the death of Hohiro.

Akira shook his head angrily. That idiotic Tai-sho had been called to Kyoto by a furious Theodore Kurita, but no one was sure what the Dragon himself thought.

Then Akira's unit had been moved north to help defend Nagasaki, who's defence Theodore personally oversaw, due to the Tai-sho's recall. The battle had been long and horrific, but the Americans took twice as many casualties as the Japanese, and the Shogun had led three regiments of men from the city in a retreat, preventing the Americans winning a decisive victory. Japan had been hurt by the attack, but due to the Shogun's wisdom, many men had lived to fight another day after hurting the Yanks. Some had called him a coward, but Akira had believed his actions to be wise, something he never would have done before. But since his realisation that bushido could be wrong on the seppuku issue, he had begun to doubt most things, and instead look for sensible answers.

Akira had performed well in the battle, as had his unit, and he was promoted to Tai-i of a squad.

The battle had then moved into the Edo Military District as the Shogun returned to Kyoto to meet with the Dragon.

The first battle in Edo was at Satsuma, the second most important city in that District. There Akira's squad had performed well in the heavy fighting and the long retreat to Edo after killing enough Americans.

He was now a Sho-sa, a company commander, or a Major to the west, a field promotion due to his commanding officer being killed.

He wondered if the Americans would ever run out of men and weapons. It seemed that they had an endless supply coming in by ship from the US, but not from China since they were already fighting English troops from India there.

He stretched and yawned, then began to prepare for the battle ahead. Around him, his company began to do the same.

Theodore entered the Throne Room, and bowed before his father.

"Father, I wish to know what will happen to Tai-sho Jinjiro."

"Come and sit. He will be here soon, I have sent Hideo to get him."

Theodore was uncertain what to make of this. He was prepared to depose his father if he had to, for idiots like Jinjiro couldn't be allowed to destroy Japan from the inside, and so was expecting an angry Dragon. Or even a happy one, one who thought that the war went well, having been fed false information by that damned Brahe. But this calm, calculating side to his father he only knew when Takashi was anticipating something. He knew his father wasn't to be underestimated, after all, this man had ruled Japan for the same length of time that Theodore had been alive, twenty six years, since Takashi was 21. He had not only survived those years, but made Japan prosper and had defeated an Indian invasion of Hong Kong, and then extracted huge sums of money from Ghandi in compensation, an amount which crippled India and made them an even easier target for England.

Finally, the Shogun's thoughts were interrupted by Jinjiro and Hideo Brahe's entry into the room.

Both bowed before the throne, and then Jinjirp stood.

"My lord, I have been talking to my old friend Hideo here, and we both agree that my actions were in full accordance with bushido. If a man is called upon to defend his home, then he does so. And Hohiro was a fool, risking it all like that. Better to wear the enemy down like you are so wisely doing. So I did not commit my troops to his suicidal action, but instead used them in a wiser way." Jinjiro obviously had the speech prepared, Theodore thought with disgust. He knew his father would believe anything like that that praised him and was supposedly in the spirit of bushido.

Seeing the Dragon's nod, Brahe smiled.

"Of course my lord, I can fully understand what this man means. Why risk his city in a desperate gamble by a fool?"

"A FOOL?!" Takashi jumped up, yelling. The two men jumped and looked terrified. Theodore tried unsuccessfully to hide his grin. He knew this side of his father - the brave samurai. He had underestimated his father, and he knew it now.

"A fool?!" Takashi roared again. "I fought alongside that man and the great Yorinaga! I commanded them, and I can tell you they were some of the best samurai I ever had the pleasure of meeting! If al my samurai were like them, I would have conquered the world by now!"

"Ummm... Maybe fool is too harsh a word. He was under pressure, and just made a wrong decision, ultimately leading to his betrayal of the Dragon by committing a type of seppuku." Jinjiro's voise was barely a whisper, and he was pale.

"Betrayed me?! I see. If you have loyalty to me, then you will know now what you must do."

Jinjiro and Brahe sighed a breath of relief, and Brahe smiled.

"Of course, I will return to the front and lead my men once more against the cursed Americans." Jinjiro bowed.

"Do you think I would let you kill more of my men?! I mean you may use the courtyard!"

"Use the courtyard?" Brahe looked puzzled.

"To commit seppuku you honourless scum! I know how you have altered reports to make my son look bad in the battle reports! I do talk to men who were there you know when they come to collect honours from me! Now go you traitorous dogs, both of you, and do as the Dragon commands!"

Both men were very pale, and Brahe was unable to speak.

Jinjiro spoke in a quiet, scared tone.

"But you ordered that no one should commit seppuku until after the Americans are gone." he looked hopeful.

"Well consider yourselves lucky, you have the honour of being the only ones to do so with the Dragon's permission. Guards, remove them, and take them to the courtyard. If they refuse to commit seppuku, then kill them like the traitors they are - painfully." Takashi glared at the two as they were taken from the room.

"Well father, I underestimated you. I thought you would listen to their lies."

"I am old fashioned, not foolish." Takashi smiled, his anger disappearing quickly. "I now see the point in your idea to remove the Tai-shos. I will send out the orders after dinner. Now come, dine with me son, we have had too many arguments this last year."

Well I'll be damned, Theodore thought. I thought the old guy was going crazy, listening to idiots like them, but he knew what he was doing all the way along, just was determined to get things right before he acted.

Just like a sleeping dragon, the Shogun thought with a smile.

Comments are very appreciated! Thanks for reading, more to come tomorrow!

Nemesis AKA Chris
Old April 22, 2002, 22:25   #5
PsionicMind
Settler

Local Time: 18:21
extremely good, but that is to be expected anymore from you, cbraund. being complete fiction, its like reading alternate history by like Harry Turtledove, all the names of places and people are right, but the events are different
Old April 23, 2002, 00:34   #6
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
I like what you're doing here cbraund, keep up the effort
Old April 23, 2002, 11:15   #7
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

yes...as good as your other stories, very good

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
Old April 23, 2002, 11:35   #8
ElDiablo
Chieftain

It's a great story...
can't wait for the rest!
"Listen lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. All the kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, buit I built it all the same just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burnt down, fell over and then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're gonna get, lad, the strongest castle in these isles."
- Swamp King (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Old April 23, 2002, 14:35   #9
cbraund
Prince

The fighting was fierce. Japanese mustketmen rained bullets down on the advancing Americans, but the holes in the ranks were quickly filled by more men.

The American vaguard of knights was slowly progressing up the hill, unable to move faster as the ground was uneven. The American musketmen and cannon pounded the top of the hill from an opposing ridge, but these were taking losses due to the fact that their ridge was lower than the Japanese one.

The Japanese cannon returned fire once more, destroying yet more American artillery. More US cannon was brought forward to replace those lost.

Akira's regiment was one of the three of samurai at the front line. They were supported by one cannon and two musketmen regiment slightly higher up the hill.

The plan was to engage with spears, then swords, and then fall back with the musketmen hurting the knights, as the Japanese retreated back to Edo. The cannon would have to leave soon though, after a few more volleys, so that they wouldn't be captured.

Akira heard the loud scream as a musketball hit a man near him in the eye. Akira was now more desperate than ever to engage, but he knew he had to wait.

His battalion commander was killed, and Akira felt the weight of yet more responsibility as he was chosen to be a Chu-sa, or Lt. Colonel, in command of a battalion of 625 men, but now more like 500.

Why must they promote me?! he wondered. What have I done to deserve it? He knew it was once again his father's friends and admirers pulling strings, and he hated it.

Why won't they let me be my own man, and prove myself worthy of these promotions, rather than select me for my name? he mused. He was brought out of his trance by a musketball embedding itself in the grass an inch from his foot, spraying his leg with mud.

He cursed, then prepared himself to charge. The enemy was close now.

He saw to his side his regimental commander go down, but ignored it, as the commanding officer of the next regiment was in charge of the entire army, and so was able to give orders to Akira's unit.

"CHARGE!" came the order. The samurai charged down the hill, only a few hundred yards, but enough to give them momentum against the slowly moving knights.

The knights were shocked by the counter-attack, and many were soon impaled on spears, or hacked apart by swords. But they rallied, and soon the samurai were driven back up the hill. The order was given to begin the retreat to Edo.

Akira was surprised to find that he was the most senior officer left in his regiment, but then they had bore the brunt of the knight's charge, and were now down from 3125 men to just under 2000. He reflected for a moment as the battle seemed to take a breather, on the fact that he was now the third most senior officer in the task force, with all of the regimental Tai-sas dead, except the commanding officer of the group and a mustketman Tai-sa The artillery commander was only a Chu-sa, as recognition that he was less important than the field commanders.

Akira braced himself for the short retreat. He knew it was going to be a particularly nasty march, especially with losses having been much higher than expected. Yes, the Americans had lost more once again, but their casualties were worryingly close in number to those the Japanese lost.

The road to Edo was littered with bodies, including those of the two Tai-sas.

Akira was now the most senior officer there. Finally a chance to prove myself! he thought with a happiness he instantly regretted. The fact that he had a chance meant that too many men had died, he reprimanded himself harshly.

Then the Tai-sho in command of the city came to welcome them at the gates.

"I will be taking overall command of the defence of Edo." he smiled to Akira. "Wait, you're Mikail Yorinaga's boy, aren't you?"

Akira nodded as he rose from his bow, the Japanese alternative to the salute.

"Good, good, it's nice to have a celebrity as my second in command."

Damn you, Akira thought savagely. You've probably seen blood before, let alone fought! Just another rich kid playing soldiers!

Akira restrained those thoughts. This man was still his legal commanding officer.

The American cannon opened fire, beginning the bombardment of the gates, to knock them down for the army to advance into.

Tai-sho Ika Okinawa climbed to the top of the walls with Akira, to look out over the American lines. A musket ball hit the wall near Ika, sending little chips of stone flying about. Ika flinched, and climbed back down from the walls.

Akira felt nothing but contempt for the man, but resolved to hide it. Then a cannonball crashed into the gates, and they fell.

Akira was shocked. They were supposed to be as strong as the walls! They had certainly looked shiny and impressive as he had walked through them, but now he went closer, with the silent grace of a samurai to look at the hinges.

They were rusted and in disrepair. Because they aren't in the public eye, Akira thought bitterly. Appearance is everything, after all, to rich little boys.

Ika looked astonished and upset at the gates sudden downfall. He knew he was to blame, putting appearance before practicality, but he didn't care.

"Oh well, those idiotic workmen will have some explaining to do." he smiled at Akira.

He turned back towards the samurai regiments, failing to see Akira's look of sheer hatred aimed at the departing officer.

The shadow jumped from the American ship onto the mainland USA. He had been silently aboard the ship all the way from China to San Francisco.

He clambered aboard a goods train bound for Washington DC, hiding under some bags of grain.

The musketmen and cannon on Edo's walls were being battered, as were the walls themselves, but they stood firm, and musketballs and cannonballs rained down on the advancing Americans.

The defence of Edo was up to a militia regiment made up of conscript musketmen, one musketman regiment that cobbled together from the remains of the two that had supported the samurai earlier, the artillery regiment, and two regiments of samurai which had been cobbled together from the remnants of the three regiment. Akira despaired for the city.

The men on the walls had already told the Tai-sho that the American knights were resting, and were hurt from the last battle. That meant that this attack was comprised completely of musketmen.

"Sir, we should hide behind the walls and wait for the musketmen to reach the gate and then jump out at them. The close-quarters fighting puts them at a disadvantage." Akira spoke quietly.

"No, we will stick to my plan! When they get to the gate, then we begin our charge from here."

They were a few hundred yards from the gate.

"But sir, that will result in the death of most of our men, and leave our artillery without a means of escape!"

"Escape? There will be no retreat from Edo! Edo is my home, and the first man to run away from it will die!"

"But that is contrary to the wishes of the Dragon!" Akira said, alarmed at the man's death wish.

"The Dragon is not having his home invaded." Ika growled. "I have great wealth, and the amount I could carry from here would barely be enough to live on. You expect me to abandon my riches to these Yankee dogs?! I don't think so! Anyway, support me here, and if we win, there will be great rewards for you!"

Akira couldn't believe his ears. This man was crazy, risking the lives of this many men and possibly Japan itself because of money!

He glanced over at the remaining members of the squad he used to command.

"Arrest Tai-sho Okinawa for treason!" Akira ordered.

Ika went for his sword which was on the floor near his seat, but Akira had his foot on it. The Tai-sho stood up to be faced by pistols that some of the samurai carried. Some had heard his words, and it had passed through the ranks like wildfire, so now all were willing to obey Akira.

"I'll get you for this you traitorous dog!" Ika yelled at Akira as he was dragged away to be locked in the prison's cells.

More to come tomorrow!
Old April 23, 2002, 17:39   #10
civman2000
Emperor

great!!!

Old April 24, 2002, 13:42   #11
cbraund
Prince

No-one had opposed Akira, not even Ika's personal guard, which had been merged in with the samurai to bolster their numbers.

They were happy not to have an inexperienced fool leading them, but instead the son of one of Japan's most famous samurai.

The army defending Edo was confident that now they could win.

"How long will it take the Americans to reach the gates?" Akira asked.

"About twenty minutes or so sir. We started firing on their front ranks a few minutes ago." a riflemen Tai-i answered.

"Very good. Tell the artillery to begin to retreat to Kyoto. Also order all riflemen of the wall and to report to me here. Tell them to have everything ready to leave. And the same goes for you lot." Akira turned to his samurai.

They looked about in confusion. Had they overestimated Akira? Was he actually a coward? Questions like these were whispered amongst their ranks.

The American musketmen slowly entered through the gate.

It was deserted! The word passed around quickly, and everyone began to relax. The Japanese had decided to defend their capital rather than this city.

The American commander accepted the congratulations of his juniors. Another city captured.

The Americans were now relaxing, and slowly entering the city, not in rank but in a horde, most looking to rest after the long march.

They were now five hundred yards inside the gates, moving slowly, due to tiredness, along the main highway.

The city was deserted of civilians too, but that was to be expected, as the Japanese had now begun to evacuate civilians and send them to the southern cities, after the first city to fall had had every Japanese civilian in it butchered by the US soldiers.

Some of the Americans felt disgust at what they were doing, but others saw the Japanese as sub-human, following their President's lead. Those who didn't like it didn't say, and obeyed the orders, as spies from the government were everywhere, and some even suspected their friends of being one.

There was a *crack* sound, and the lead officer fell.

Suddenly the Americans were alert. They knew that sound! It was the sound of a musket!

They began to return fire towards the window they thought it had come from, not knowing the Japanese man had already slipped away from it into another dwelling and begun to reload.

There was another *crack*, and another American fell. They were getting nervous now, being hit by an unseen enemy.

The sound of more Japanese muskets was blanketed out by the return fire from the Americans, most of whom were shooting at ghosts, terrified of the ambush.

One American officer regained control of the situation.

"Don't stand there like lemons!" he yelled. "Spread out among the buildings and hunt them down like the rats they are!"

The Americans began to disperse between the buildings.

But the Japanese musketmen saw them coming, and would slip further back into the town, giving ground but causing casualties against an enemy that couldn't fight back.

Three Americans marched down an alley, not seeing the samurai jumping about on the rooftop above them.

Then a man jumped down infront of them. The first man fired, but the samurai dodged the bullet. The second American tried to get his musket around the man infront of him so he could fire, but was unable to do so. The man infront died as the samurai cut his head clean from his body.

Suddenly another samurai jumped down on top of the second man, stabbing him in the back with a katana.

The man died, his last sight being the head of the man behind him rolling of as Akira sliced it clean from his shoulders.

Akira nodded at the samurai, and then they climbed back onto the rooftops.

The shadow slipped off of the train at Washington DC, and hid in an abandoned building, biding his time until nightfall.

"The Americans are down to half the strength that they sent in." the man reported to Akira.

"Very good, tell the musketmen to begin advancing against the Americans. Samurai, come with me."

The samurai followed him as he quietly slipped around the American lines, into their rear.

The Americans were being driven back towards the gates by an enemy they couldn't see. They saw headless corpses, and most wondered what had happened to them, and were terrified it might happen to them.

Then as the American commander gave the order to retreat out through the gates, so that a much larger force could come in and sort this mess out, the samurai jumped from where they were crouched on the walls.

The Americans looked in horror. They were trapped!

Akira charged into the rear of the Americans, followed by his samurai.

The massacre was inevitable. Three American regiments lay dead, for the loss of three Japanese lives.

It was Japan's first and sweetest victory.

The American general looked up in alarm when the report came in. The remaining three regiments of the 1st Californian Division had been destroyed! He knew Japan's strength was four regiments in Edo, which he now knew were still there, five samurai, seven musketmen and three artillery regiments in Kyoto, including the one which must have escaped from Edo, and the only other city in the capital's Military District being Izumi, which had only one samurai regiment and two musketmen regiments defending it. It was south of Kyoto, and so not yet important. Then there was Japan's last area, the Tokyo Military District, which had an overall strength of four musketmen regiments, two samurai regiments and no artillery.

To face Japan's total strength of 25 regiments plus three artillery, he had now only 27 regiments plus five of artillery! He would have to rely on concentrated strength, he decided.

Akira was woken from his thoughts by everyone kneeling.

He looked around startled.

There was the Dragon! And the Shogun!

Akira knelt quickly.

"No, up, all of you." the Dragon spoke. "You have fought long and hard in the name of Japan. Why should you be forced to tire yourselves more to greet me?"

Akira stood, along with everyone else. He was suddenly aware of the Emperor and his son approaching him.

"It would seem that you have done very well here, Akira." the Shogun spoke first. He had met Akira a few times during the defence of Nagasaki.

"It was a lucky victory, my lord."

"Luck had nothing to do with it. We have already spoken to the guards you posted, and know what you did." the Dragon spoke calmly.

Akira panicked inside. Did they know that he had arrested the Tai-sho? Were they here to kill him?

His thoughts were interrupted by a voice.

"Yes, he had me thrown in jail, the traitorous scum! I am so glad your men came to my rescue, my lord." Ika knelt infront of the Dragon.

"We know the story." the Dragon spoke once more.

"And we are here to reward you." Theodore smiled. "You are no longer a Tai-sho."

Akira gasped. The man was getting a promotion for his victory! Ika winked at him with an evil glint in his eye, then stood.

"I am very grateful for the promotion, my lords."

"Promotion?!" the Dragon laughed. "You're no longer a Tai-sho because the rank has been deleted, not because you've been promoted!"

Ika looked about in confusion.

"Then what is my reward?" he asked.

"That you can kill your lousy good for nothing-self in the name of the Dragon!" Takashi roared. "I heard about your plans to disobey my orders because of your riches!"

"Seppuku?" Akira breathed once more.

"Yes, the good Okinawa may kill himself in the name of the Dragon. It he doesn't, then I will kill him instead." the Shogun spoke harshly.

Ika looked at the ground as he was led away to a place where he could kill himself out of the Dragon's sight.

"Now, we will hold here tomorrow, when the Americans attack again, in huge numbers, or so our scouts are reporting, and then withdraw to Kyoto, where we must win the final battle, or lose Japan." the Dragon spoke quietly to Akira. He then raised his voice again. "But you have done well, and will be handsomely rewarded for your service to the Dragon when this war is over!"

The men cheered.

More to come tomorrow! Stay tuned, and comments are still appreciated! And thanks for those comments already made!
Old April 24, 2002, 18:35   #12
civman2000
Emperor

wow, this is amazing

Old April 25, 2002, 06:24   #13
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great story
Old April 26, 2002, 22:33   #14
cbraund
Prince

Sorry guys, been busy! Anyway, here is the latest and final installment of Fate of the Dragon!

Takashi smiled grimly at the report.

"One regiment lost for two of theirs. It's going to be a close battle."

"But one that must be won. The Americans have two disadvantages, that they are not samurai and they aren't defending their homes. The fact that we are samurai who will fight to our last breaths and that we are fighting to defend our home, our country, our capital, our culture and the Dragon will spur our men to victory." the Shogun spoke calmly. The withdraw from Edo had cost one militia regiment for less than expected casualties on the other side, but it had been a success. Kyoto was now defended by seven samurai, eight musketmen and three artillery regiments. That was about 50000 men to defend the Dragon.

The enemy commander would send all of his offensive units at Kyoto if he had any sense, Theodore thought, as he would know this would be the final battle. Who won here would win Japan. So that meant 25 regiments coming at Kyoto, supported by five artillery regiments. About 75000 men, he calculated.

"Bring Tai-sa Yorinaga to us. We must discuss battle plans." he ordered a servant.

The five knight regiments charged first. Kyoto was such a sprawling city that it had long outgrown and attempts to build a wall around it, and there were too many roads to block them all. It would be an open battle in a beautiful city, reknowned for its culture and amazing buildings.

But for now it was a bloody and noisy battlefield, as the muskets pointing from the windows of the pagoda structures on the outer edge of the city opened fire.

Having long received word on the direction of the incoming forces from the lookouts on the high buildings, the samurai regiments were lined up to meet the invaders.

But this time the samurais carried no spears, only their traditional swords.

"Onward to victory! Massacre the scum!" shouted the knight's commander as he led them in the charge.

The musketballs rained down on them, killing many, but many more continued on, knowing that they only needed to get close, and their weapons would outclass the samurai, and thus end with their deaths.

Artillery from both sides joined the fray, with the American artillery trying to knock down the buildings the musketmen were firing from, and the Japanese cannon firing canister rounds at the American knights. Canister rounds, the land equivalent of grapeshot, caused some casuatlies to the knights, but they charged onwards. There were too many for the gunpowder weapons to stop, and they knew it.

Finally, they began to get closer to the samurai. They never saw when they were very close however the bamboo sticks planted in the ground behind the samurai, their sharpened ends being nearly 4 foot of the ground.

The samurai began to run backwards through the sticks, and the knights followed, sure of victory. The mass of bodies prevented them seeing the bamboo until the last moment.

Then it was too late. Many horses piled onto the sticks and fell, the sharpened ends piercing their hearts and killing them instantly. Others veered at the sight of them, throwing their riders to the ground. A few jumped over the bamboo, only to land on a samurai's sword. Those in the rear rows ploughed into the ranks infront of them, forcing them deeper onto the spikes.

The samurai now began to hack to pieces all the riders that had falled off, the knight's heavy armour preventing them from moving easily when not on horseback. The samurai then walked round the spikes and over the dead bodies, to where the remaining two knight regiments were waiting, having regrouped after hitting the rear of the ranks infront.

The two groups charged one another, and a fierce battle ensued. The fire from a few crackshot musketeers who were brave enough to risk firing into the brawl helped the samurai, as did their sheer weight of number.

Finally the last knight fell.

For the loss of two samurai regiments, the Japanese had killed five knight regiments, the pride of the American army, and the last mounted force within their army in Japan.

The fierce fighting continued as the Japanese fell back into the centre of Kyoto. Soon the fighting was concentrated on the Forbidden Palace, the Dragon's seat of power. The Japanese artillery was in its many towers, while the American artillery was being packed up to be brought into the city. It would take hours to arrive, and the American general wasn't about to give the Japanese time to regroup, so he carried on without his cannon for now.

He could see three regiments of samurai on the walls, and he guessed the other two were inside the Throne Room, protecting the Dragon. The samurai had not taken any losses yet, without any more hand to hand fighting having taken place. The musketmen had been hit worse, now having only five regiments left.

And the American general had fourteen musketmen regiments left.

It was time to end it, he decided.

He sent the order from his command post in a nearby pagoda, where all his major officers were with him. They could direct the junior officers down there who didn't have a clue how to plan a battle from up here, out of the way of the fighting.

The general was glad for that. He didn't like the thought of the fighting that was to come.

Lincoln shrugged as his new Secretary of Defence told hiim of the horrific losses in Japan, and how the general in command there had asked for more men.

"Then give them to him. I order twenty five regiments to be supported by our entire navy, except for a few frigates, to be sent from California to Kyoto. If the city is in our hands, land as normal. If it isn't, raze it to the ground."

"It will be done, Mr. President. They will arrive in three days time. But may I ask, why the large naval force?"

"Because this force will move from Japan after its surrender to invade British India. I want the force well protected, it is a large part of our army, and to lose it to a British patrol would be stupid."

"Very well sir." the SecDef left.

Lincoln sat back and lit a cigar. He hated the British, with their damned Royal Navy, which when the Americans back was turned had somehow become larger than the US Navy. But then they did have more coastline to protect, compared to the US Empire. Oh well, Lincoln thought. Their Navy won't protect them when I finally release the entire US Armed Forces upon them!

The Shogun's total calm while under fire had a soothing effect upon his men, not that any of them would run anyway. The Dragon was relying upon them, and they would die before they let the Americans in!

But now fourteen regiments of musketmen were pressing them hard, with some scaling the walls whilst others fired in support from nearby buildings that overlooked the Palace.

He saw more and more men fall, mostly Americans, but a significant number of Japanese as well.

Then the Americans had the breach in the defences that they needed. An elite squad of Americans had forced their way onto the ramparts, then begun firing down the walkways. That cleared the way for more Americans to climb up.

The four regiments sent to secure a bridgehead on the wall had done so. The gates were opened.

Now all it would take was for one order to reach the ten regiments waiting outside to charge into the Palace and to the Throne Room.

Then the Dragon would die, and Japan would too, without its leader.

The general poured himself a glass of champagne as he summoned an aide to carry the order.

Akira entered the room quickly, followed by the other men in his squad. He had hand-picked his elite squad for this mission.

Muskets were fired at them, and the samurais charged. Akira led the way, straight at the enemy general, who dropped his glass in surprise.

Akira stabbed at the American with his katana, and it pierced the man's throat. He fell to the floor, coughing up blood.

Akira turned his attention to killing the rest of the enemy command post, as did his men.

The slaughter of every American on that upper floor had just ended when the guards charged through the door. Akira had expected this, knowing that the sound of muskets firing would cause the company defending the building to investigate.

There was nowhere to run, so Akira and his samurais stood their ground, as the Americans came closer.

The fighting was fierce, but the samurais were outnumbered five to one. These musketmen were armed with swords as well, and knew how to use them. A few musket shots were also fired, killing yet more samurai.

Akira soon realised that he alone was still alive from his squad. There was a lull in the fighting as the enemy circled him, ganging up ready to kill him.

Now Akira knew how his father must have felt in his last few moments. Not any fear, but calm, and peaceful. Meeting death with dignity, as a samurai should.

"For the Dragon!" Akira yelled as he launched himself at the Americans.

Muskets fired and swords swept down at him, but he continued to charge as far as he could into the group, chopping and hacking his way through.

Finally though, it was too much. One sword stabbed into his lungs, and he could hardly breathe. A musketball ploughed into his chest, breaking yet another rib. More stabs and musketballs hurt Akira, as he ploughed his sword into another American. Then he fell to the floor, just as a sword stabbed deep into his heart.

Seeing the flash of muskets from the command point of the Americans, Theodore knew that the plan was taking place. He waited a few minutes, to unnerve the Americans as they waited for the order to advance. He knew if Akira hadn't completed his mission, then this pause would destroy the Japanese force, but the Americans didn't come forward. It had worked.

"CHARGE!" the Shogun yelled as he led his men out of the gate, underneath the wall where four regiments of musketmen still stood.

After the Japanese had passed underneath, the fuses were lit in the towers. They led all the way to gunpowder charges placed in the wall and gate.

The explosion killed most of the four American regiments, and sent those who survived flying, or trapped them beneath rubble.

The destruction of part of the Palace was sad to Theodore, but he knew it could be rebuilt.

The charge and the explosion, combined with the lack of orders worried the Americans, and some began to back away. This soon turned into a retreat, then a running mob as they struggled to get away. Only two regiments of troops, the elite 101st and US Marine Commandos, held their ground. They were overwhelmed though, and soon destroyed, but they had bought enough time for the others to escape, and maybe mount another attack.

But then samurai appeared, blocking the path of the fleeing Americans. It was Takashi Kurita, and his two most loyal regiments, the elite Genyosha regiments.

"Death to the Yankee dogs!" the Dragon yelled. His Genyosha roared back, and the Americans began to have second thoughts.

But then they saw an even bigger force behind them, and so continued in their charge for freedom.

The eight fleeing regiments ploughed into Takashi's ranks like a sledgehammer to an anvil.

The Genyosha held their line, not breaking despite the huge numbers of American soldiers piling into their lines, or firing at them. They were the best of the best, and the Emperor was leading them. They were determined not to lose.

Takashi felt the adrenaline rush through his veins. He knew now that his years of listening to fools had been caused by lack of touch with the battlefield. But now, with him and his son leading his armed forces once more, he could feel truly alive again.

He saw a musket barrel shoved in his face, but hacked off the hand holding it before the trigger could be pulled. He felt the weight of American bodies pressing against the line, and tried to push them off, stabbing as many as he could. Finally the pressure eased, as more Americans fell. The Genyosha were taking heavy losses too, being overwhelmed by numbers.

Takashi never felt the musket ball that entered his brain, fired from the American command post, which was now under seige.

He dropped to the floor, dead.

The Genyosha, seeing this, instead of breaking went beserk. The samurai screamed and cursed, throwing back the American line and then charging at them.

About a regiment of Americans escaped the slaughter, by running around the Genyosha, who had forgotten all about holding the line. Theodore rushed after them with his units, capturing the artillery as they ran past it to try and get to safety.

The Battle of Kyoto had been won, and with it, the freedom of Japan.

The shadow entered the bedroom slowly. He was a ninja, trained in the dark side of samurai. He had his orders from Takashi Kurita himself.

The ninja slipped towards the bed, then drew his katana. The blade quickly and easily went into Lincoln's throat, as the samurai held a hand over his mouth to stop any gurgling or groaning noises escaping. He held it there until Lincoln was dead, then withdrew his katana from the dead American President's throat.

He slipped out of the window, now going back home to Japan.

It wasn't until morning that the President was discovered.

Theodore checked the clock on the wall of the biggest tower in the Forbidden Palace. He was now the Dragon, Emperor of Japan, with the death of his father in battle three days ago.

He glanced once more at the time. Now the President should be dead, he reckoned. And if the ninja had done well, then he wouldn't be found until morning in America. That was at least five hours away, so he wouldn't know anything yet.

"Sir, we have ships spotted coming towards Kyoto!" an army officer rushed in.

"What nationatlity?" the Dragon asked.

"American."

Damn, Theodore thought.

The American ships began to bombard Kyoto, but so intent were they on their job that they failed to see the ships bearing down on them from the opposite direction.

The English Royal Navy had mobilised into one group once it knew that the American Navy was all together. Never would there be another chance like this to totally destroy America's sea powe, as no leader other than Lincoln would have been stupid enough to risk all of the navy in one mission.

Admiral Horatio Nelson nodded at Captain Hardy. The order was given to open fire.

The Victory, nameship of the class that the Dragon had belonged to, opened fire.

The first broadside ripped into the America, and the heated shot used by a few of the Victory's gunners sparked off the gunpowder.

The America was blown sky high, and the rest of the fleet was decimated soon after, including the other ships of her class.

"Send this signal to the Japanese, Hardy." Nelson spoke with a quiet authority as he dictated the message.

"Sir, we have a signal from the other ships we spotted. It reads:
'Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth would like to wish the Emperor success in his new position. Just passing through to retake China, and thought you needed a hand. Love, Nelson.'"

"Well I'll be damned!" Theodore laughed.

The future was looking a lot brighter for Japan suddenly, he thought. But then, after all, it was the land of the Rising Sun.

Hope you enjoyed it! Comments appreciated! Thanks for nominating it in the contest!

Nemesis AKA Chris
Old April 26, 2002, 22:42   #15
civman2000
Emperor

Akira dies??? What about the old 1-hp samurai defeats 4 musketmen and 5 swordsmen stuff? Is this supposed to be like civ3 or not??

Old April 27, 2002, 09:04   #16
ElDiablo
Chieftain

LOL, Civman...
Great ending, cbraund...I really enjoyed this story!
"Listen lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. All the kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, buit I built it all the same just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third one. That burnt down, fell over and then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're gonna get, lad, the strongest castle in these isles."
- Swamp King (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
Old April 28, 2002, 03:33   #17
Sovy Kurosei
Prince

Actually, this reminds me of that Succession game we played, when we invaded Japan.

After the initial invasion by me, taking many cities with few casualities, the game shifted to Coinich.

Coinich was supposed to take the capital, Kyoto, but he lost some 8 units to one spearman
Old April 28, 2002, 07:09   #18
mattseah
Settler

Local Time: 07:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i'm impressed!

good work!