Old April 23, 2002, 01:24   #1
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

Local Time: 18:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Im a convert
I played this game in it's early incarnnations but I must say this game has improved 100%.
Im in the middle of a new game-1.21f-and it is great.
the tech whoring is still there but not as bad--Ive just entered the modern age and everyone is very even (regent level)5 out of 8 remain and it is very challenging.
Ive noticed the Ai using art.( but only in defence) and have seen few obsolete units attacking me.
I see an obvious improvement.
I still play on but I look for more surprises ---please give me more.

On a side note --My navy seems to meet more contemporaries than inferiors.

Old April 23, 2002, 01:32   #2
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

Oh I forgot to mention the most important thing-----

When I fire an art. piece it lets me fire another in the stack next instead of jumping to a worker or something.

Last edited by Evil_Eric_4; April 23, 2002 at 15:13.
Old April 23, 2002, 01:42   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I agree that the game is more enjoyable now.
and with each patch more can be accomplished through the editor. giving more people what they want from the game.
and eventually scenario support and mp.

i for one am glad it was released this way. and am enjoying being along for the ride as it matures as a game.
Old April 23, 2002, 02:05   #4
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:25
I think that with the next patch, the game will be pretty much complete (if the obvious features currently have baked into the editor are implemented).
Old April 23, 2002, 04:46   #5
Coracle
Prince

If it's so good, why does it still CRASH whenever I use the Editor Firaxis gave us, supposedly to Edit their stupid unit values and useless units??

I won't play the game with the units and their idiotic values that came with the game; as soon as the Edited units start coming on line (with gunpowder) it crashes.
Old April 23, 2002, 05:02   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:25
You're special.
Old April 23, 2002, 08:21   #7
WarpStorm
King

Maybe you are doing something wrong. Are you renaming units? Adding units? If you are there are special things you need to do to make them work.
Old April 23, 2002, 08:41   #8
Cookie Monster
King

So far I have to agree that 1.21f patch is good. I'm in the early medieval age on a large map, large continents, max civs, regent and have noticed quite a few things.

The first thing that strikes me is the fact that I can now keep up with the early expansion while maintaining a decent military. Either I'm getting better or the patch made things a little easier, at least at regent anyway.

The second thing that I've noticed is a significant decrease in tech whoring. I am able to "keep up with the Jones's" by trading often. When I do trade it is rare that the AI has > 4 techs more than I do. Again, is this due to the new patch, or have I just improved my game style?

The last thing I've noticed is that the AI tends to stay polite longer now before switching to cautious, then to annoyed. Very curious actually. In all my games with 1.17f I had a very hard time keeping people happy and usually ended up going to war with the whole world. Has all your strats and advice finally sunk through my thick skull or does 1.21f have anything to do with this?
Old April 23, 2002, 10:08   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 19:25
Too early to tell, but I haven't noticed a big difference in the tech trading. Then again, I've played one game to 400AD, and have been beating on every AI I see. So I don't really need to trade tech - I'm beating it out of them.

One thing I have noticed is that the peace treaty renegotiation exploit is gone, or at least toned down. I tried renegotiating a treaty and actually ended up in a war I didn't intend to start because the weak-as-hell Indians wanted concessions from me for peace. Under 1.17, I guarantee they would have given up a couple of techs and their map to keep me from attacking.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 23, 2002, 11:22   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Yeah, same thing happened to me. I've gotten used to just trying for renegotiated peace, just to see if I could get something.

I renegotiated with Babs and got construction and some gps (sidenote: we may not be able to get cities anymore, but try for other stuff), but when I tried it with Zulus, THEY demanded concessions. I refused on principle, so now we're at war.

I think that's pretty cool, that the AI trading algorithms are sophisticated enough to have two (or more) levels of trade requirements.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 23, 2002, 15:09   #11
Evil_Eric_4
Warlord

And also the game is very stable now.
I ran it all weekend nonstop with long periods of idleness and it never locked up or slowed down.
Old April 23, 2002, 17:32   #12
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
I renegotiated with Babs and got construction and some gps (sidenote: we may not be able to get cities anymore, but try for other stuff), but when I tried it with Zulus, THEY demanded concessions. I refused on principle, so now we're at war.
Looks like Soren really paid attention to Aeson. Note the civ.

Was their civ colour orange by any chance?
Old April 23, 2002, 18:53   #13
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Zulu - Yellow
Babs - Roman Red
Persia - Bright green

Sort of annoying.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old April 24, 2002, 17:42   #14
The Rook
Warlord

The game has definitely improved. I still have a few problems with it though. For one, as soon as a war stops, the AI sends it's entire force at me. They throw themselves at the gates of my city, which I pack with as many definsive units as I can, and once their army is dessimated, it's simple to go in, and mop them up.
Old April 24, 2002, 17:50   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rook
The game has definitely improved. I still have a few problems with it though. For one, as soon as a war stops, the AI sends it's entire force at me. They throw themselves at the gates of my city, which I pack with as many definsive units as I can, and once their army is dessimated, it's simple to go in, and mop them up.
funny, that's pretty much exactly what I do to the AI! I just send everything at the AI hoping to take out so much that they can't counter. And if I miscalculate and overextend, well, the ai can roll me. (which never happens )

(this message should be disregarded when MP arrives)
Old April 24, 2002, 17:55   #16
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I'm just annoyed at the city trade thing... I capture a german city in the heart of France, and the French are my allies... the city is useless to me and I know it will probably flip French anyways, so I decide I'll sell it to them. I put the city on the table, but they won't give me anything for it... it says they would even be insulted by 1 gold. Okay, maybe it's good that 1.21 made the AI less likely to trade away its entire empire, but you'd think they would at least trade me one gold for a potentially valuable city.

Besides that, though, I agree that 1.21 made the game much better, and finally made it into the finished product I'm glad to play.
Old April 24, 2002, 18:23   #17
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
I'm just annoyed at the city trade thing... I capture a german city in the heart of France, and the French are my allies... the city is useless to me and I know it will probably flip French anyways, so I decide I'll sell it to them. I put the city on the table, but they won't give me anything for it... it says they would even be insulted by 1 gold. Okay, maybe it's good that 1.21 made the AI less likely to trade away its entire empire, but you'd think they would at least trade me one gold for a potentially valuable city.

Besides that, though, I agree that 1.21 made the game much better, and finally made it into the finished product I'm glad to play.

that it irritating. what i do is sell the remaining improvements, draft all I can, then give it to a different AI hoping that it will forestall war a little longer. Move from annoyed to polite or whatever.

Of course, I also give such cities to strange civs sometimes, in an effort to draw them into the battle against a third AI. Also, if I were you, I would give that city in the middle of france to a third party, as it will likely be somewhat productive for france, but not say, the germans who are on the other side of the map.