Old April 18, 2001, 09:34   #1
Zardos
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Proactive Units
As I was remembering CTP, I realized that they had another idea that I liked -- proactive units.

For instance, there were units that would have an opportunity to fire surface-to-air missiles at enemy fighters and bombers BEFORE those bombers had a chance to attack, but only once per turn.

The current system in CIV is to add a SAM city improvement, which double the defense of your unit(s) in the city. My question is, wouldn't the CTP system make more sense? Having a SAM city improvement realistically has nothing to do with the type of unit in the city, yet it when the calculations are calculated, the defense of the unit still comes in to play.
Old April 18, 2001, 10:09   #2
Admiral
Prince

Local Time: 19:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Sounds like a good idea. I am often annoyed in civ 2 when enemy stealth bombers hover outside my cities and kill all my units.
Another use for proactive units would be for nuclear weapons. In reality if a civ is nuked it will not wait a year to launch a counterstrike. It will launch a counterstrike as soon as a launch is detected. Consequently, it is my belief that if any nuke is launched, all nukes are automatically launched. When a nuke is built, it could be targeted on an enemy city.
Having never played CTP (guess I got discouraged when people said thing like "I played CTP again the other day. Just to see if there were any good qualities." ) so I don't know how it works out, but proactive units would be a good addition to civ 3.
[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited April 18, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited April 18, 2001).]
Old April 18, 2001, 14:14   #3
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 16:53
"Proactive", "Paradigm", Aren't these just words stupid people use to sound important?
Old April 18, 2001, 14:25   #4
Zardos
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 04-18-2001 12:04 PM
Proactive units - perfect wording. Thats exactly the idea I'm for in couple of other threads, but can't word it very well. This feature is particularly suited for SAM sites (and hopefully units) and sub-killers. (destroyers only?).

I never played CTP either. How well did that feature work (well hopefully) in comparison to the SMAC alert feature? If implemented correctly (I never figured out SMACs feature) proactive units should definitely be used. Particularly for anit-air and anti-sub picket lines

The feature worked quite well, from the sounds of it, it worked the same as SMAC. You had a unit with something called "Active Air Defense" inheirent in the properties of that unit, which automatically attacked any enemy air units that came within one space of the unit.

Old April 18, 2001, 14:28   #5
Zardos
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by JamesJKirk on 04-18-2001 02:14 PM
"Proactive", "Paradigm", Aren't these just words stupid people use to sound important?

Look, if you don't proactively shift your paradigm to incorporate this rhetoric in to your lexicon, you will realize inefficiencies in your prose
Old April 18, 2001, 14:44   #6
dognheat
Settler

quote:

Originally posted by Zardos on 04-18-2001 02:28 PM

Look, if you don't proactively shift your paradigm to incorporate this rhetoric in to your lexicon, you will realize inefficiencies in your prose

On that note:
http://www.dack.com/web/bulls-h-i-t.html

You have to remove the - to get the correct url
[This message has been edited by dognheat (edited April 18, 2001).]
Old April 18, 2001, 18:00   #7
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 16:53
Actually CTP2 had the feature of giving nukes targets, so that if you were nuked, all the nukes that had prearranged targets would immediately launch against those cities from the civ that nuked you that you targeted. It was actually pretty cool to see a decent sized nuclear exchange, definitely one of the CTP ideas Firaxis should "borrow"
Old April 19, 2001, 00:04   #8
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 19:53
Proactive units - perfect wording. Thats exactly the idea I'm for in couple of other threads, but can't word it very well. This feature is particularly suited for SAM sites (and hopefully units) and sub-killers. (destroyers only?).

I never played CTP either. How well did that feature work (well hopefully) in comparison to the SMAC alert feature? If implemented correctly (I never figured out SMACs feature) proactive units should definitely be used. Particularly for anit-air and anti-sub picket lines
Old April 19, 2001, 00:37   #9
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
In Smac a fighter stationed in a base would automaticaly intercept enemy air units entering the area around the base.
This must be added to civ IMHO (both the way Smac does it and the way you describe).