Old April 14, 2001, 11:50   #1
MarkG

Firaxis' Sim title "later this year", and civ3???
as we wrote yesterday in our Misc section from thesims.com
quote:

Legendary game designer, Sid Meier (Alpha Centauri & Civilization), has been spotted at Maxis on a few occasions in recent months. Although the specifics are a closely guarded secret, we can tell you that Sid and Firaxis are working on a Sim title that is due out later this year. Look for more details in the coming weeks.

a game (obviously) scheduled for the end of the year and we hear about it's existance(not even a name or a theme) only now?

Old April 14, 2001, 11:52   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Hmmm, makes you wonder...
Old April 14, 2001, 14:22   #3
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 19:53
SimMars maybe? Will Wright does life sims and Sid does empire games. Early colony till rebel from earth? Sort of like the Colonization end game? Random idea, anyone ever hear official news on SimMars? It was previewed by a few magazines and then dissappeared, even the webpage.
Old April 14, 2001, 14:47   #4
MarkG

i think simmars was cancelled or something...

Old April 14, 2001, 15:44   #5
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How do you underline?
It isn't described along whit the other ubb code stuff (not that this had anything to do whit the topic)
Old April 14, 2001, 18:23   #6
joseph1944

SimMars was cancel last summer if I remember correctly. I'm not sure but I think the studio that was doing the game went under. The game was 1/2 to 2/3 compete at the time because the release date was somewhere between 4th quarter of 2000 and the 1st quarter this year. Some of you may remember SimEarth that Maxis did back in 89/90 (I have it on my self). There was a Venus and either Mars or the moon scenarios in the game.
I don’t know about a title “SimCivMars” or “SimVenusCiv”.
What do you think?

------------------

Old April 14, 2001, 20:53   #7
SerapisIV
King

I never heard about SimMars' demise, it was just an idea. Will Wright is much more into smale-scale simulations while Sid does bigger ones. Is there a compromise in between? Or would it be more like Antietem, a pretty different genre from Civ. A lot of people have been pushing for a Pirates sequel. Now, I have a good idea what most of Sid's early games were, what were Will's? I only know him from SimCity, SimFarm, SimCopter, SimAnt and the Sims. Any other games before that?
Old April 15, 2001, 05:05   #8
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 04-14-2001 03:44 PM
How do you underline?
it's html
try
< u >blah blah< /u > without the spaces

Old April 15, 2001, 08:35   #9
Roman
King

Local Time: 00:53
Just testing underline - sorry for the irrelevance of this post.
Old April 15, 2001, 08:36   #10
Roman
King

Just testing underline - sorry for the irrelevance of this post.
Old April 15, 2001, 10:35   #11
Ceci n'est pas Snapcase

It's... SimCiv! Firaxis and Maxis work together to create a game with the combat action of The Sims combined with the graphical splendour of Civilization 2! CivIII canned in favour of a real-time game where units go about guided by unknown principles doing absolute bull****! Hooray! (F*ck, I hate Maxis games.)

Old April 15, 2001, 14:31   #12
SerapisIV
King

Well Sid has pretty much every genre under his belt if you include his early Microprose games. What genre's does Will Wright have besides the simulations? Anyone know his early game design history? That or it could be like you said tniem, Sid making an attempt at a sim game, something I'm not sure he's done before, and something his designer status allows him to collaborate with the best for.
Old April 16, 2001, 00:07   #13
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 10:53
Could we assume that this has something to do with that "prototype" that Sid was talking about a while back?
Old April 16, 2001, 00:50   #14
tniem
King

It would seem to me that the game is based on one of the two 'The Sims' games that have already been announced either Sim Live or The Sims Online. The reason I say this is that the news was not on the Maxis site but instead on 'The Sims' site within Maxis. Just an observation.
Old April 16, 2001, 05:45   #15
jdlessl
Warlord

Hmmm, Firaxis and Maxis joining forces. What would you call that? Fimaxis? Miraxis?

In other news Sid Meier announced a new add-on for the popular game "The Sims", provisionally entitled "Livin' Like a King". In it, you direct the activities in the palace of your empire throughout the ages. Keep the visiting VIP's pampered, fend off the occasional rioters and get them off the Royal carpet, make sure the senile autocrat isn't replaced too quickly by the upstart claimant to the throne. The challenges are endless!

--
Jared Lessl
Old April 17, 2001, 00:49   #16
joseph1944

Maxis has produced SimEarth, SimLife, SimFarm, SimAnt, SimCity I/II/III/Unlimited, SimCopter, SimTower, I think A-Train, The Sims, SimSafari, SimGolf plus I believe two more, but I cannot remember the titles. So now the big question is where does Sid fit in with the above title. And btw the 2-Sim Coaster games are from EA and not Maxis. Micro Prose made gunship while Sid was there, SimLife is about animals and what game did Sid just put on the shelf?

------------------

Old April 17, 2001, 06:08   #17
Father Beast
King

It would be really cool if the proposed game turns out to really be an update of the classic COLONIZATION, which has needed a sequel almost as much as MoM.
Old April 17, 2001, 06:09   #18
Father Beast
King

in other news, I hope that if an unnanounced title can ship "later this year", that means that civ3 is on for later this year, too.

guess what I want for christmas????
Old April 17, 2001, 09:14   #19
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 02:53
quote:

Originally posted by joseph1944 on 04-17-2001 12:49 AM
Maxis has produced SimEarth, SimLife, SimFarm, SimAnt, SimCity I/II/III/Unlimited, SimCopter, SimTower, I think A-Train, The Sims, SimSafari, SimGolf plus I believe two more, but I cannot remember the titles. So now the big question is where does Sid fit in with the above title. And btw the 2-Sim Coaster games are from EA and not Maxis. Micro Prose made gunship while Sid was there, SimLife is about animals and what game did Sid just put on the shelf?

You missed SimTown and SimIsle

Old April 17, 2001, 13:08   #20
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Good point, Joseph1944. Sim-Dino is a good candidate for the unnamed game.
Old April 17, 2001, 22:45   #21
joseph1944

Vgriph thank you. I had both at one time but gave Simtown to my grandson and SimIsle I cannot remember who I gave it to.
Colonization is really a Brian Reynolds game with Sid name on it. Even Sid himself has said that many times in interviews.
-----------------

[This message has been edited by joseph1944 (edited April 17, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by joseph1944 (edited April 17, 2001).]

Old April 19, 2001, 13:29   #22
Fintilgin
Chieftain

Well, I doubt it will be a rehash of a game we've seen before. It sounds like it will be a `sim' title and Maxis will be the ones selling it, not Firaxis (at least because the news is on /their/ site). I'm betting it's a brand new idea, but we'll see...

My guess is that Sid has just been consulting or helping out on it or something, not actually making it himself.

Hehehe. I suppose they could release CivIII in two boxes. One for us which says Civilization III, and one titled SimNation. They'd sell twice as many!

Joe
[This message has been edited by Fintilgin (edited April 19, 2001).]