Old April 23, 2002, 16:55   #1
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 18:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Peculiarity of culture flip
I had a size 1 city culture flip to me on monarch. Fine. The funny thing is that the population is unproductive because they are 100% opposed to my oppression.

Doesnt it make more sense for a city that flips to you that the citizens would be happier than normal?

This may have happened with previous versions and I just didnt notice it, I'm not sure.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 23, 2002, 17:20   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i've been ranting about that for months. another thing firaxis will eventually fix... you should be see as a liberator of opressed people (even when you conquer an opressed people by force)
Old April 23, 2002, 17:30   #3
twistedx
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:28
Ya, that is pretty annoying... What REALLY bugs me is when I conquer a city and the people in it are angry saying "Hell no, we won't go". You would expect them to be angry that citizens of that city were drafted and killed, but be happy that the draft has ended.

Then again, I usually just set everybody in a conquered city to entertainers and starve them down to 1 so that I don't have to deal with them...

-- twistedx
Old April 23, 2002, 18:13   #4
Tuberski

Once again, If your friends and family were draft to fight a war, and the enemy took your hometown, would you be happy with them?
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old April 23, 2002, 18:59   #5
Coracle
Prince

Re: Peculiarity of culture flip
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
I had a size 1 city culture flip to me on monarch. Fine. The funny thing is that the population is unproductive because they are 100% opposed to my oppression.

Doesnt it make more sense for a city that flips to you that the citizens would be happier than normal?
NOTHING about Culture Flipping makes sense.

It is just a braindead concept some half drunk Firaxian thought up at a beerfest.
Old April 23, 2002, 22:03   #6
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i've been ranting about that for months. another thing firaxis will eventually fix... you should be see as a liberator of opressed people (even when you conquer an opressed people by force)
If you think about it, this could be set up to be a useful tool for Democracies or republics waging wars against communist or despotic governments. If I as a republic capture a city from a despot the citizens should be happy for a while (whether they stay happy depends on the situation). On the other hand, if I as a despot capture a city from a republic the citizens should be unhappy (as now happens).
Old April 23, 2002, 23:25   #7
nationalist
Warlord

I posted a thread about this phenomenon about 2 months ago. I call it "Inherited Discontent", and no, it doesn' make sense.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 24, 2002, 00:10   #8
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Re: Re: Peculiarity of culture flip
While I like the idea and general implementation of culture flip, I also agree that change is needed in the unhappiness factors of those flipping civilians... if they want to join me, they should be happy about it. As for the draft, people traumatized by losing their loved ones in war probably won't jump for joy simply because their city has also been taken in a bloody battle. Still, there is something to be said for ending the draft and the happiness that should benefit... it's a tough call.

Quote:
Originally posted by Coracle
NOTHING about Culture Flipping makes sense.

It is just a braindead concept some half drunk Firaxian thought up at a beerfest.
Ah, the joy of senseless and pointless posts. How did I ever enjoy Apolyton before this kind of stuff came around?
Old April 24, 2002, 00:45   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:28
Re: Re: Re: Peculiarity of culture flip
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Ah, the joy of senseless and pointless posts. How did I ever enjoy Apolyton before this kind of stuff came around?
Greatly.
Old April 24, 2002, 08:32   #10
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 00:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Once again, If your friends and family were draft to fight a war, and the enemy took your hometown, would you be happy with them?
You miss the point. The unhappiness from drafting comes from the fear to be sent to the frontline. As I capture the city, I am a new leader. They don't know if I'm about to draft or no, so they don't have to protest against drafting - yet.
Old April 24, 2002, 09:02   #11
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 19:28
Quote:
If you think about it, this could be set up to be a useful tool for Democracies or republics waging wars against communist or despotic governments. If I as a republic capture a city from a despot the citizens should be happy for a while (whether they stay happy depends on the situation). On the other hand, if I as a despot capture a city from a republic the citizens should be unhappy (as now happens).
Yes, that's why the Vietnamese were so happy to be "liberated" by the Americans.
Old April 24, 2002, 09:24   #12
SpencerH
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel

Yes, that's why the Vietnamese were so happy to be "liberated" by the Americans.
I'm not sure if thats a joke or not?

Europe was happy to be liberated from Nazi Germany though. Do you figure the Afghan's were unhappy about the end of the taliban regime?
Old April 24, 2002, 09:40   #13
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Actually, the Northern Alliance isn't really any better than the Taliban.
Old April 24, 2002, 09:47   #14
SpencerH
Emperor

Off the top of my head, I think that at least 50% of the population wouldn't agree with you (ie women). Any that appreciate art and music wouldn't agree with you. Men who dont want to grow beards wouldn't agree with you either.
Old April 24, 2002, 09:59   #15
Zachriel
King

Quote:

I'm not sure if thats a joke or not?

Europe was happy to be liberated from Nazi Germany though. Do you figure the Afghan's were unhappy about the end of the taliban regime?
"Happiness" in Civ3 is actually a measure of productivity. Afghanistan will take a generation to return to any sort of normal productivity -- unless there is massive foreign investment in infrastructure. Meanwhile, the survivors pick through the rubble and search for lost relatives.
Old April 24, 2002, 13:19   #16
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 00:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
"Happiness" in Civ3 is actually a measure of productivity.
Disagree.
"happiness" in Civ3 is a measure of crowd stability. As the population becomes less happy, there is the threat of riots that's growing. Making people "happier" keep them happy enough for them not to revolt.
Old April 24, 2002, 13:31   #17
Fitz
King

Local Time: 15:28
What happens when you abandon the size one city? Does the unhappiness pass to another city, or dissapear? You might want to save before testing.
Old April 24, 2002, 13:40   #18
Zachriel
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Akka le Vil
Disagree.
"happiness" in Civ3 is a measure of crowd stability. As the population becomes less happy, there is the threat of riots that's growing. Making people "happier" keep them happy enough for them not to revolt.
You are right! That is actually a more accurate description. Certainly, a contented population and a very happy population have the same productivity.

However, in the case of very unhappy populations, the result is low productivity (with lots of entertainers), or no productivity (in the case of revolt), so I chose to use a more limited definition relevant only to this situation.

Thanks for the clarification.