Old May 7, 2002, 09:56   #61
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bill,
NP. Good to hear that.

Dean,
Yes the manual is incorrect, you do indeed need to wait 5 turns after you have an Alliance with everyone.

If you just click End-Turn all the time your population will grow (among other things) and you get points for every citizen you have at the end of the game, so your score would increase. If you have things in the build queues as well, your economic and military ranking will improve as well, which also benefits your score.

And you do get bonuses (boni?) for victories but I have no idea about how many points for each victory. I don't know what the 'games in progress' thing means, I think it just indicates that the game is still being played and that you haven't won/lost yet, but I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't value it too much...

I will pass your compliments about the forums on to the owners of the site
Old May 7, 2002, 16:46   #62
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 16:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Locutus, are going to be absolutely strict with the May 16 cutoff? The reason I'm asking is that I've had very little time to play lately (Finals/moving etc), and I still have a couple of Civs to crush (English and Dutch). I'm going to try my best, but if I can't get the game finished within the next couple of days, I think that I may have to sit this one out.
Old May 7, 2002, 21:30   #63
mnbryan37
Warlord

Local Time: 17:29
Locutus,

The Windows XP, Home Edition that I have definately does not have the WinZip program. Once I down loaded and installed it, I had no additional problems.

Deantoth,

The scoring bonus's may very with the difficulty level. At the "impossible" level the Victory Bonus (regardless of which kind of victory) is 5000 points. If you accumulated the most number of Wonders, you get a bonus of 500. Points earned during the process of the game are: 100 for each Wonder, 10 for each advance, and 100 for each "Feat" . The balance of the points are based on the number and size of your cities, including population.
Old May 7, 2002, 21:38   #64
DeanToth
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:29
thanks for the scoring tips... much apreciated

As for XP and zip files... this is strange since my copy of winME included natively the ability to browse zip files within a window as if they were normal folders.. to extract files you simply drag-n-dropped files to another folder. It is indeed strange that this feature was not included in XP... perhaps it was a licensing/legal issue?? Oh well.

Anyway, glad that winzip is working for you... Personally I used to use winZip as well, but have since found winRAR to be superior as a compression tool since it supports zip and other formats as well as allowing one to automatically compress files into multiple "volumes" (so a 500mb file could be spread across fifty 10mb files for instance). Very useful if sending large files to friends or for posting partial files on an FTP site....

Long live Call to Power!
Old May 8, 2002, 01:18   #65
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 09:29
The winning turn.........
Win type: Conquest
Year: 1785
Size: 45 Cities (though I've starved quite a few)
Government: Communism

I used infantrymen since getting gunpowder, and some naval as well. At the end I had 329 infantrymen sitting around. At one stage I was producing 10 a turn.

Anyways, here's the save game and score.

Dale
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	winner.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	14875  
Old May 8, 2002, 01:21   #66
Dale
Emperor

And the save game.....

Just move the carrack onto the last city. There's no defenders.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip dale.zip (122.9 KB, 48 views)
Old May 8, 2002, 02:10   #67
DeanToth
Chieftain

Dale

how the heck did you get a screen shot of this?

I realize that in windows, you can use "prtscrn" key to snap the whole screen or "alt+printscreen" to get just the active window (or is it ctrl+prtsc?? i can never remember).

does this work with ctp?? anyway, I am surprised and pleased that you are participating in this tournament!!

Take it easy

Last edited by DeanToth; May 8, 2002 at 02:27.
Old May 8, 2002, 03:02   #68
Dale
Emperor

Dean:

Why wouldn't I participate? Gotta show why I needed an ultra-agressive AI like WAW.

Anyways, to get the screengrab, just do PRTSCRN, then go into windows paint or another graphics program, paste it and crop to size. BTW, I think there's a width limitation of 600 pixels for pictures, not sure. Oh, and make sure you save it as a .gif or .jpg.

Have fun mate.
Old May 8, 2002, 03:33   #69
DeanToth
Chieftain

heh.... well, it's good to know our resident mod-saints aren't above getting down and dirty with us plebian players.. :-)

(seriously though, we all love the mods and appreciate your hard work)

Later
Old May 8, 2002, 10:19   #70
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:29
Ok here goes

Won by Diplomacy
Year : 1180 AD
Score : 11090

Very interesting game actually
Took me absolutely aaaaaages to take the Portugese city of Porto. I was fighting with mainly, archers and hoplites, while their only advantage was mounted archers, dunno why it took so long anyway took me 2 and a half full stacks in the end.

After that it was mainly plain sailing up until i had to actually do some real sailing anyway. After i began my assault on the Incas after doing away with ''most'' of the Portugese, the Incas ran off and set up second home on some poxy island down south. Anyway i churned out a ''few'' fire trireme's unloaded a couple of infantrymen and dealt with that pretty sharpish.

And then there was only a smallish Portugese city on a one tile island left, so i ploughed through that with a full stack of ''ship of the line'' and that was it, all the ''diplomacy'' had been forced earlier.

Anyway
Attached Files:
File Type: zip maquiladora.zip (142.1 KB, 99 views)
Old May 8, 2002, 10:22   #71
centrifuge
Prince

Won by Diplomacy
Year : 1180 AD
Score : 11090

Wow Maquiladora, a possible earliest victory.
Old May 8, 2002, 10:52   #72
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Well maybe,
The earliest year winner was always going to be a Diplomacy victory, it would be nice to compare with others, i know Locutus got 1330AD (?)
Old May 9, 2002, 15:40   #73
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Edit: DP

Last edited by Locutus; May 9, 2002 at 15:53.
Old May 9, 2002, 15:53   #74
Locutus
Deity

Ah, great to see the results are finally getting in. A little reminder for everyone: the tournament ends in a week so start playing if you haven't done so yet!

centrifuge,
I'm afraid I'm going to have to be fairly strict with that May 16th cut-off. I can give you until the 17th, maybe 18th but not much longer. I'm going on vacation the 28th and want to have the second tournament running by then (which will end sometime after I'm back). This means I must have made a ranking of the first tournament and decided on the settings for the 2nd tournament (which I don't want to do before I have the ranking, so I can take into account the level of the participants). I hope you can find the time to finish your game...

BTW, feedback is very much welcome. From centrifuge's remark I conclude that he would appreciate it if the tournaments would last longer than 3 weeks (4 weeks maybe?), what do others think about this? If there's anything else you wish to comment on, don't hesitate to do so. I want these tournaments to be as fun as possible for everyone so if you have suggestions for improvement...

For the Conquest victory, Dale is leading in terms of endyear, francois in endscore. For Diplomacy victory, Maquiladora is leading in endyear, I myself in endscore. In the overall rankings, Maquiladora is leading the endyear board while francois is leading the endscore board. But with only 4 scores in this doesn't mean much yet (note that this is all unofficial, in the official rankings my score doesn't count and I'm yet to check Dale's and Maquiladora's savegames)...
(I'll see if I can post some statistics later)
Old May 9, 2002, 21:30   #75
Dale
Emperor

*awaiting those stats with baited breath*
Old May 9, 2002, 23:59   #76
DeanToth
Chieftain

hmmm... I never realized end-year would be a ranked category... I've been playing only with high score in mind, which is my normal style of play anyway.

Yes, these are some impressively early years so far!!

Locutus - I sorta prefer the 3-weeks format myself. But I could live with 4 weeks just fine especially if it gets more players.

Well, back to my game. Take it easy all.
Old May 10, 2002, 00:02   #77
DeanToth
Chieftain

Oh, btw, just to be strictly fair - especially for those who have posted their endgame saves early - may I suggest that actual endyears and endscores be kept confidential til the last game is submitted?

Just a thought.
Old May 10, 2002, 02:54   #78
Locutus
Deity

Dean,
Everyone can download the savegame and see for themselves what the score/stats are so keeping it confidential doesn't really work. The stats/scores posted here just save everyone from going through that kind of trouble for every savegame. But I think and hope most people will just want to play their own game and compare it with others, rather than playing it over and over until they have the highest score. If you insist on wanting to keep your scores confidential, you could wait with submitting the savegame until the 16th...

Here are some stats for the games played so far (I hope this doesn't screw up the post layout too much):
Code:
Endyear
-------

Rn	Player		Vict Type	Year	Pnts	Cits	Pop	Advans	Wonds	Feats	Resrch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1	Maquiladora	Diplomatic	1190 AD	11,090	24 	 269	29	 5	4	Cavalry Tactics
2	Locutus		Diplomatic	1335 AD	12,200	32	 316	36	 7	2	Mod Metallurgy
3	Dale		Bloodlust	1785 AD	20,070	46	 724	49	 7	4	Adv Naval Tacts
4	francois	Bloodlust	1882 AD	21,050	53	1043	62	16	6	Quantum Physics

Endscore
--------

Rn	Player		Vict Type	Pnts	Year	Cits	Pop	Advans	Wonds	Feats	Resrch
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1	francois	Bloodlust	21,050	1882 AD	53	1043	62	16	6	Quantum Physics
2	Dale		Bloodlust	20,070	1785 AD	46	 724	49	 7	4	Adv Naval Tacts
3	Locutus		Diplomatic	12,200	1335 AD	32	 316	36	 7	2	Mod Metallurgy
4	Maquiladora	Diplomatic	11,090	1190 AD	24	 267	29	 5	4	Cavalry Tactics

(winners per victory type in bold)

Last edited by Locutus; May 10, 2002 at 03:10.
Old May 10, 2002, 07:45   #79
Maquiladora
Emperor

I think i would prefere 3 weeks too, but if the game was made a litter longer, i.e. gigantic maps/cradle, 4 weeks would be the best. Although i dont mind. I understand some dont have time too, or maybe the PC to play such an exhausting game. heh My PC isnt exactly state of the art
Old May 10, 2002, 14:39   #80
DeanToth
Chieftain

Locutus:
Oh yeah.. you're right - i forgot other forum members could just download the attachment themselves... (as you rub my suggestion in my face and show the whole leaderboard..)

Ha ha. So anyway, my game is just about done! It was the whole reason I kept asking you guys about what is the last year in game time and how the diplomatic victory works....

Turns out I am in the last century of gametime and i have no time to conquer the last pesky empire so I'm trying to get them to love me so I can have an alliance.

I am very impressed by the earliness of the years of these other players! They must be really good. My method has always been to slog on thru time, gettting as many wonders and conquests as possible in order to jack up my score before 2300AD...

I think I'll be done with the game today. (My day off and I'm not waiting til the 16th to upload ;-)

Last edited by DeanToth; May 10, 2002 at 14:44.
Old May 10, 2002, 16:29   #81
centrifuge
Prince

Well, One of my Finals was cancelled, so I spent all of last night playing the tourny, and it appears that I'll be finished sometime tonight:. I've been taking Dean's approach, which is probably one of the reasons I didn't think there would be enough time. My girlfriend agrees with me that a long quality session is better than quick and dirty anyways
Old May 10, 2002, 16:31   #82
centrifuge
Prince

Oh, and the length of the tourney is fine with me. This particular one just came at a very rushed time.
Old May 10, 2002, 16:31   #83
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
...My girlfriend agrees with me that a long quality session is better than quick and dirty anyways
i bet
Old May 11, 2002, 01:17   #84
centrifuge
Prince

Alright, I was able to pull it out, I was originally going for a Conquest, but my girlfriend thought that I was too bloodthirsty, so at the last minute I let the english survive (with one city ) and went for the Gaia Controller,

Typr: Gaia Controller
Score: 28670
Year:2250
Attached Files:
Old May 12, 2002, 15:23   #85
mnbryan37
Warlord

Game Results:

Type: Conquest
Year: 1270
Cities: 37
Score: 16070

This was a fun game, as I had never done a pure conquest before. I usually play for high score, and did complete the science ending once.

Hopefully my saved game is attached. The final move is to move the army stack of 12 units into the final battle at Amsterdam, which is on the undiscoverd tile just S.E. of Assen.

Bill
Old May 12, 2002, 15:37   #86
mnbryan37
Warlord

My saved game file didn't attach to my last transmittal, so will try again.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ferdi.zip (93.6 KB, 60 views)
Old May 12, 2002, 19:07   #87
Locutus
Deity

Bah! I was all happy because I managed to conquer the entire world 3 centuries before Dale but then I saw Bill's post...

Great job, Bill Your conquest victory took only 8 turns longer than Maquiladora's diplo victory I will be very impressed if anyone can beat that...

Oh well, I'll post my second result anyway, in case anyone is interested: a conquest victory in 1495 AD (could it be more appropriate?). Unfortunately I had apparently started this conquest from the wrong savegame, namely the savegame *after* I had accomplished the diplo victory. Since you can only win the game once, I didn't get the victory screen & movie this time and thus also not the bonus points for victory So the score I have is a lot lower than it should have been: only 14,070 (with 55 cities). Too bad, I would have liked to have compared my score to Dale's and francois's... But I don't really feel like playing the same game all over again, so I guess we'll just have to leave it at this... I attached the savegame in case anyone is interested.

Here's an update of the (unofficial) ranking at the moment:

Code:
Endyear
-------

Rn	Player		Vict Type	Year	Pnts	Cits	Pop	Advans	Wonds	Feats	Resrch
1	Maquiladora	Diplomatic	1190 AD	11,090	24 	 269	 29	 5	4	Cavalry Tactics
2	mnbryan37	Bloodlust	1270 AD	16,070	37	 351	 28	 8	3	Bronze Working
3	Locutus		Diplomatic	1335 AD	12,200	32	 316	 36	 7	2	Mod Metallurgy
4	Locutus	(2)	Bloodlust	1495 AD	14,050	55	 652	 42	12	2	Oil Refining
5	Dale		Bloodlust	1785 AD	20,070	46	 724	 49	 7	4	Adv Naval Tacts
6	francois	Bloodlust	1882 AD	21,050	53	1043	 62	16	6	Quantum Physics
7	centrifuge	Gaia Controller	2250 AD	28,670	74	4033	103	29	9	-

Endscore
--------

Rn	Player		Vict Type	Pnts	Year	Cits	Pop	Advans	Wonds	Feats	Resrch
1	centrifuge	Gaia Controller	28,670	2250 AD	74	4033	103	29	9	-
2	francois	Bloodlust	21,050	1882 AD	53	1043	 62	16	6	Quantum Physics
3	Dale		Bloodlust	20,070	1785 AD	46	 724	 49	 7	4	Adv Naval Tacts
4	mnbryan37	Bloodlust	16,070	1270 AD	37	 351	 28	 8	3	Bronze Working
5	Locutus	(2)	Bloodlust	14,050	1495 AD	55	 652	 42	12	2	Oil Refining
6	Locutus		Diplomatic	12,200	1335 AD	32	 316	 36	 7	2	Mod Metallurgy
7	Maquiladora	Diplomatic	11,090	1190 AD	24	 267	 29	 5	4	Cavalry Tactics
Old May 12, 2002, 19:14   #88
Locutus
Deity

Forgot the attachment...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip locutus (2).zip (136.2 KB, 2 views)
Old May 12, 2002, 20:54   #89
mnbryan37
Warlord

Locutus,

Thanks. For future tournament games either 3 or 4 weeks are ok with me.

I noticed in an old post, that City Walls were thought to help reduce Slaver action. I have not noticed any improvement in that regard. Anyone else have an oppinion? Also, I have always assummed that although you can build tile improvements outside the city boundry, they do not contribute to city productivity until the city grows to include them.

Bill
Old May 13, 2002, 13:23   #90
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
I'll be flexible when it comes to files that are sent in on the 16th and 17th (because of the timezones), but the earlier the better of course...
I am afrait that I will need your flexibility, so I can attach a file late on the 17th, I have no idea if I can finish my game earlier.

Some interesting observations I made. The AI build some commerce improvements (trading posts and shopping mails) on dersert tiles. My point here is that the AI can build such tile improvements without additional help of slic.

Another funny thing was that I bribed a city so that it became a new civ. I asked them to give me their only city, without anything in return and they accapted if I would sign with them a peace treaty, so I happily accepted.

-Martin