Old April 24, 2002, 14:20   #1
IceCube
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Map Size Pro's and Con's
Are there any good or bad points when using larger or smaller maps?

I currently have this problem...I tend to get bored in SP games about half way through on a standard size map. This is due in part to the AI expanding everywhere...then pronouncing vendettas upon me when my compact yet efficient society is beating them in tech and hoarding most of the SP.

I dislike all the micromanaging that has to be done with having too many bases (especially the ones captured in conquests).

Add in the fact that I see many of the PBEM games posted here are for Huge maps? What gives?

So any opinions on where I may be happier with a bigger or smaller map???

Thanks in Advance,

'Cube
Old April 24, 2002, 14:48   #2
Dreifels
Prince

Local Time: 00:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Map Size Pro's and Con's
Quote:
Originally posted by IceCube
Are there any good or bad points when using larger or smaller maps?
It depends from your comp's mhz + ram and what you like to do:
Original with the CD 2 map sizes are delivered only. The standard format is the best for an IP game, but for a single user game or a PBEM other sizes are to prefer. In the alpha(x).txt you easy can add other sizes, i.e.:

#WORLDSIZE
Tiny planet|(early conflict), 24, 48
Small planet, 32, 64
Standard planet, 40, 80
Large planet, 44, 90
Great planet, 52, 104
Huge planet|(late conflict), 64, 128

Above the size "Great planet" is new. This the maximum size is that is also playable by IP and by PBEM. (If you like to lay a game and switch between playing as PBEM and playing as IP)

Maps with different sizes you may find at http://alpha-centauri-stuff.cjb.net/

The max possible size is 192x192, however then you'll get an other problem (and you need a lot of ram and a fast cpu) then which restricts in fact the using of such maps for a single player: If there will be too much cities (total amount, human + AI) and built too much units, then you can't build any more unit until there are deleted some (maybe by a war). Building units of all factions (AI + human) is frozen as long as this maximum is. If then you (or the AI factions) delete some units, then the *next* faction builds their units.

(I'm not sure, I think to remember that max units are 526 total)

Quote:
I currently have this problem...I tend to get bored in SP games about half way through on a standard size map. This is due in part to the AI expanding everywhere...then pronouncing vendettas upon me when my compact yet efficient society is beating them in tech and hoarding most of the SP.
Important is, to use a map being well balanced If there are more continents and the AI factions don't start all on your continent, then their expasion may be slowed. Try this map in standard size WoLP

Quote:
Add in the fact that I see many of the PBEM games posted here are for Huge maps? What gives?
PBEMs not only start often with huge maps, but the main important point is, that the starting conditions are well balanced for all factions. Then all have time to develop their faction well and the success will depend more from intelligent strategy than from random events and randomly good or not good starting positions. Same as the difference between roulette game and chess.
Old April 24, 2002, 15:15   #3
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 00:31
Quote:
(I'm not sure, I think to remember that max units are 526 total)
I usually like to play on huge maps. Since I adopted the 2-in-diagonal spacing (rocks!) and I build at least 6 units per city (4 crawlers, one former, one garrison, later going to four crawlers, two formers, three garrison), I can reassure you that the limit is far beyond 1000. I've not yet met it. Maybe (i. e. if Firaxis programmers knew their job) it depends on the available RAM. Btw. 526 is an extremely bad number for such a limit. I could imagine 500 or 512.
Old April 24, 2002, 15:16   #4
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

I would have thought that *Large* was the more common size for the PBEMs here, but who knows ? The map size is generally one of the several parameters that are decided on by consensus at the beginning of the game.

In any event, the larger maps appeal more to builders, who would sooner run into neighbors later and the smaller to those of a more militaristic bent, who would rather meet the neighbors sooner.

Map size does factor into at least one game algorithm - the bureaucracy drone calculation - and possibly others, like ecodamage perhaps (although I think not).
Old April 24, 2002, 16:42   #5
IceCube
Chieftain

My systems pretty new and chock full o' RAM so I shouldn't have hardware issues so I think that perhaps some experimenting is needed.

Thanks again to all the posters so far!
Old April 24, 2002, 17:01   #6
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller

Map size does factor into at least one game algorithm - the bureaucracy drone calculation - and possibly others, like ecodamage perhaps (although I think not).
Base tech cost is affected by map size as well.
Old April 24, 2002, 21:12   #7
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
Quote:
Map size does factor into at least one game algorithm - the bureaucracy drone calculation
Quote:
Base tech cost is affected by map size as well.
Interesting info. I never really bothered to think about this, and only with Civ3 and its endless corruption debate I went to dedicate some thoughts to this.
Old April 28, 2002, 17:50   #8
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 19:31
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Max SMAC Map Size
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreifels
The max possible size is 192x192...

My SMAC (patched to v4) allows maps up to 256x256 . I consistently play (solo) on 208x256. (I described this choice in boring detail in another thread .)
I play nearly every game out to the (often bitter ) end, complete with massive empires and armies. My AMD K6-2/266 with only 64MB RAM has no problems with it . (I have to admit those later years get long but I alawys have a good book to read .)
The games I don't finish are tests for new factions and alpha.txt edits.
Old April 28, 2002, 18:00   #9
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 01:31
One further effect: On Tiny and Small maps, the number of minerals and nutrients in a game row are 8 and 9 respectively, rather than 10. This affects gameplay in that a 10% Growth or Industry bonus is not enough to reduce costs by 1 per row; effectively, all such bonuses are reduced by 1.

Custom sized maps that happen to be the same size as the built-in smaller maps are not affected by this.