Old April 25, 2002, 10:48   #1
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HELP: Problem hosting with ADSL
Hi guys,

I just improved my connection with an ADSL line via an Ethernet board to have something faster and more reliable (which it seems to be up to now)!!

One of the purpose of this change was that I wanted to host while playing one the (much too) few multiplayer games I play with some friends.

So yesterday I started with a friend and did everything (for starting a new multiplayer game) up to the point where the game asked me to confirm my IP adress: that's where the problems began...

1) the IP it demanded to confirm wasn't mine, but instead the internal IP of my modem!!

2) I then let it like that and had my friend try to join the game on this IP adress: as expected, it failed (timeout: no connection)!!

3) I then restarted, replaced this adress on my confirmation by my REAL IP and had my friend try to connect to that adress. The result was, sadly, the same...

So, actually we were able to play with him hosting (at least, we didn't spoil the whole evening ) but as his connection isn't very reliable, I would prefer to be hosting myself...

So, anybody has got an idea?? Please...
Old April 25, 2002, 12:29   #2
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 00:33
You definitely need the external IP, not the internal one. If you have a dynamic IP this will change every time you connect.

Either way you need to set up port redirection on your router. What is happening is that the inbound connection necessary for you to host is being made to the router on the appropriate game port and then the router doesn't know to which client to send the packets.

You can probably change router settings through a web interface. Try looking in the NAPT section. The game port is, I believe, 4993, but don't quote me.
Old April 26, 2002, 03:03   #3
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:33
Thanks
Dr Spike,

Thanks for the answer: I'll try that this week-end!!

And yes, I was quite sure I needed the external number! actually I used this first and only tried the other one out of despair...

I hope it will now work (and that I will understand what you explained, I'm sometimes barely computer literate... )

EDIT: BTW, Happy Birthday Dr Spike!!!

Last edited by Cyrion; April 26, 2002 at 04:53.
Old April 26, 2002, 07:55   #4
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 00:33
Cheers.