Old April 26, 2002, 19:50   #1
SirSebastian
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:38
Local Date: October 31, 2010
New Marine Ability Idea: Land + Move
Instead of the calls for "boosting the A/D" of Marines... I was thinking that they needed something else. Why not give them the ability to move off of a transport without using their movement point? In other words, let them be able to attack / move after they've landed. I think this would add usefulness to the unit, and make us all think a little bit more. I don't think the realism nazis could really complain.

What do you think?
Old April 26, 2002, 20:25   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:38
They can. After the other Marines first take the city they are targeting for invasion.
Old April 26, 2002, 23:03   #3
SirSebastian
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:38

Obviously. I'm not talking about invading cities. I'm not talking about attacking directly from a transport... I'm talking about moving to any square off of a transport without using up the attack/movement. i.e. landing, and then having the ability to do something (move to a more secure location, attack further inland, etc)
Old April 27, 2002, 08:43   #4
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SirSebastian

Obviously. I'm not talking about invading cities. I'm not talking about attacking directly from a transport... I'm talking about moving to any square off of a transport without using up the attack/movement. i.e. landing, and then having the ability to do something (move to a more secure location, attack further inland, etc)
Give them "treat all square as road" or a second movement point.
Old April 27, 2002, 10:38   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:38
I don't think giving them an 'extra' move would help them to be a more useful unit. They would still be weak, but just more mobile initially.
Old April 27, 2002, 12:52   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 02:38
I've tuned Marines up a little bit by giving them an attack of 12. Now in the 1.21 game I consider giving them a HP bonus, too, to make the Marine some kind of a Special Forces unit for fighting in field even during late game.
Old April 27, 2002, 13:13   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:38
Has anybody flipped the 'Wheel' switch for Tanks, ModArmour and MechInf? If so, how does it play?
Old April 27, 2002, 13:46   #8
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 18:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
I've tuned Marines up a little bit by giving them an attack of 12. Now in the 1.21 game I consider giving them a HP bonus, too, to make the Marine some kind of a Special Forces unit for fighting in field even during late game.
I to, have given them more attack. Although, my version is weaker, since it's a 10/10 unit. I gave them a 2 movement.

I tried giving some worker abilities, such as building forts, but it didn't work as I expected.