18 / 9 / Civilization III / Infogrames / $47
19 / 19 / SimTheme Park / Electronic Arts / $18
20 / 14 / Empire Earth / Vivendi Universal / $47
Old April 27, 2002, 08:41   #2
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"The Sims, vacations" better than Jedi Knight 2.

May I cry ?
Old April 27, 2002, 09:07   #3
Cesa
Chieftain

I just hope it will keep selling good for a long time == more patches and XP's.
Old April 27, 2002, 12:28   #4
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Cesa
I just hope it will keep selling good for a long time == more patches and XP's.
Me too.
Old April 27, 2002, 12:30   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Who in the hell plays "The Sims"?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 27, 2002, 12:54   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 02:39
Same question... I wonder why is "The Sims" a game that actually keeps staying high in the lists.
Old April 27, 2002, 13:05   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

And "The Sims" is somehow 5 games that actually keeps staying high in the lists.

But it makes me wonder about Civ3... does this mean there are thousands who buy it and recommend their friends do also, that everyone just assumes it's good and buys it, or are we few hundred fans the only ones who have any problem with the game whatsoever?

Old April 27, 2002, 13:10   #8
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 17:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Sims appeal to a broader audience.

As for the problems... I think those who come here feed, and feed on, the problems. I would be unaware of many of them if I did not use this forum. Not to mention that some of the 'problems' are largely non-existant or are matters of personal taste.
Old April 27, 2002, 13:12   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Do you think that Civ 3 is selling good or not?

I've played SimCity and enjoyed it for a little time. Played The Sims, and didn't enjoy at all - the idea itself didn't appeal to me.
Old April 27, 2002, 13:17   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well, being in the top 20 would probably mean it is doing well. A bit of concern for it dropping from 9 to 18. Or maybe that's just the que for XP.

You don't like the Sims. I've never tried it (other than looking at it on a computer in the shop). It doesn't suit our tastes. But obviously there are a lot of people out there for whom it is the fix.
Old April 27, 2002, 13:19   #11
Solver
lifer
Deity

Sure (re: The Sims). I just believe that ppl playing strategy games and live simulators are different.

I think that Civ 3 should be in the top 10, still. Anyone on how many total copies sold?
Old April 27, 2002, 13:22   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

BTW, these figures are for which country/continent?

Old April 27, 2002, 13:29   #13
notyoueither
Deity

Firaxis wouldn't say in the last chat. Just said they were very happy with it.

The reason why there are so few TBS games produced these days is they have a very limited audience compared to RTS and Shooters. Yes, and also as compared to Popcorn games like the Sims. The fact that Civ is in the top 10 or 20 for a lengthy period after it's release is good news. It means there is a future for the franchise.

Hmmm. I don't see EU on that list. I wonder how MOO3 will do? I doubt it will last in the top 20 as long as Civ3.
Old April 27, 2002, 14:46   #14
Purple
Prince

Local Time: 18:39
There's no doubt that The Sims has been a great success, but this list copares apples and oranges. Only one of the Sim entries on this list is a standalone game; the rest are add-ons. The add-ons themselves serve to create more interest in the basic game, and thus more sales.

I wonder if Civ3 add-ons would perform as well. The various Civ2 editions did fairly well commercially, didn't they?
Old April 27, 2002, 15:07   #15
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 01:39
Quote:
this list copares apples and oranges
this is a sales list. it shows what's selling the most during a specific period. it's not a "what is the best game out there" list
Old April 27, 2002, 18:51   #16
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 23:39
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
this list copares apples and oranges
this is a sales list. it shows what's selling the most during a specific period. it's not a "what is the best game out there" list

Perhaps it's the most representative, as people vote with their wallets on this list.

Still, Civ3 has had it's spot in the sun for awhile (seems to have done better than SMAC I believe).
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old April 27, 2002, 19:01   #17
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Speaking of the Sims' obvious success, is there any other example for a game with 4 (!) expansion packs?
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old April 27, 2002, 19:05   #18
Akka
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
Speaking of the Sims' obvious success, is there any other example for a game with 4 (!) expansion packs?
You're sure you don't have any idea ?

Civ2 someone ?
Old April 27, 2002, 19:11   #19
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

I didn't mean multiplayer versions, gold editions, revamped graphic editions and the like - I expect all this for the Sims in the future. I'm speaking of 'pure' expansion packs that also add single-player stuff, a la SMAC-X. Any example for a game that did as good as the Sims?
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old April 27, 2002, 21:16   #20
Denday
Chieftain

huh
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
what is the sims

you too
Old April 27, 2002, 21:19   #21
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

The sims is the best-selling pc game of all time now. Basically you control the lives of a bunch of onscreen people. It's definitely interesting and a fun for a while.
Old April 27, 2002, 23:33   #22
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 09:39
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
The sims is the best-selling pc game of all time now. Basically you control the lives of a bunch of onscreen people. It's definitely interesting and a fun for a while.
There's now 4 expansion sets for it. They seem to have done something right with The Sims, because normally to change the HUGE mistakes of a game, you'd need to release a sequel. All Maxis need to do to fix shortcomings in The Sims is release loads and loads of expansion sets. Hot Date and Vacation really changed the mechanics of the game (in them, the family you are controlling are no longer restricted to a Big Brother House style of environment, they can go downtown in Hot Date, or go on a vacation in one of four places in Vacation).

I see why it continues to sell.
Old April 28, 2002, 08:20   #23
Solver
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
As I said, it didn't seem fun to me even at the start.
Old April 28, 2002, 09:08   #24
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Local Time: 19:39
I like it. I have one expansion, hotdate. I don't play it nearly as much as CivIII, though. To me, the fun is getting various people to hate each other. Like when you kiss some guy's wife, he'll come over and slap you. Now that's entertainment.
Old April 28, 2002, 23:51   #25
tniem
King

Local Time: 18:39
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I do.

Hell, I may have played this game more over a longer period of time than any other game with the exception of the original Civ (of course I also played SMAC, WarCraft, Diablo, and others for so many hours that it is hard to compare). It is just so addictive. The concepts are easy to grasp. The elements just all fit together nicely. There is a great balance in do I improve my mood by having some fun or do I work out to get that extra body point for a new promotion. Do I use the extra money for a new bed or do I buy the more enjoyable television? So many choices that are amazingly simplistic. Can play for like fifteen minutes and then go on to something else.

And I am just one that has come from a strategy background in gaming. Recently, I gave the game to my girlfriend so that she would understand why I liked videogames. It worked like a charm. She loves it. Women make over half of the Sim players, the most successful women gaming ever. Plus, it was a must have for the first year for any serious gamer. No wonder it is the most successful game of all time.

And just wait. Sims Online will be out soon. When that happens, I will be able to show my girlfriend the fun in online gaming and the rest of America will rebuy this simplistic game with an amazing amount of fun.
Old April 29, 2002, 00:08   #26
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:39
The Sims is a pretty stupid game as far as I'm concerned. However it's software engineering and marketing is well superior to ...