Old April 23, 2001, 23:22   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 17:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Related Civ Games
I'm a really big fan of the Civ series although I have only played Civ II and just recently started playing SMAC. I've played AoE and I didn't really like it. It was kind of interesting the first week or so seeing your units gather, hunt, build, etc.... for a while then I just got bored of the whole game. I was wondering if there are any good games like the Civ series out there?
Old April 23, 2001, 23:29   #2
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 18:54
there are other good games, but nothing like Civ. until civ3 that is.
Old April 24, 2001, 02:05   #3
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 19:54
Anyone played any of the space civs (Galactic Civilizations / Reach for the Stars / Space Empires IV) and liked them? I know about MOO2, but I'm thinking about the recent 4Xspace civ releases. Recomendations?

PS - I tried to ask this a long while ago on the other game BB, but few people read those, so sorry for posting in the wrong area.
Old April 25, 2001, 09:01   #4
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 06:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I don't know of any game as good as Civ... I've planned a lot of games but none have I played more htan civ.... hell I still even play civ1.
Aoe is intresting as long as you're not winning... which is kinda easy to achive.

I really would like to play Europa Universalis... hear its a real great one. If you can thats the game I think you should try.

Old April 25, 2001, 09:27   #5
Ceci n'est pas Snapcase

If you want a game that's Civ-style but more complex, try either Colonization or Master of Magic, both of which are deep, challenging variations of the basic Civ formula. If you liked Civ for its historical setting, Europa Universalis is all the rage at the moment...

Old April 25, 2001, 10:04   #6
belusa
Settler

Local Time: 00:54
What about Empire Earth, is it any good?
Old April 25, 2001, 14:58   #7
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Birth Of The Federation is pretty good,
its like MOO2 (so its like civ) and made by the same people,
but has some extra cool things like 3d tactical spacecraft fights And a nice espionage system where you have a more general slider system to send spies, but it dosen't have any good ground combat stuff.
It has nice Minor races, and is based on startrek generations which allows for lots of completely different races, the minor ones allow you to build 'wonders' .. its diplomacy systems pretty cool, allowing 'cold wars'
where the Federation and Romulan can fight over uniting (yes you can unite) with a particularly special minor tribe.
It dosen't really have that much stuff to make you play it for months on end though.

This new BattleCruiser millenium/battleship game sounds interesting, it sounds nice and varied with nice graphics at least..

The only niggle i have with games like Cvilisation and BOTF/MOO2 is that i find i want to be a perfectionist and not lose any ships, so turns take upto 20minutes sometimes.. Micromanagement can be silly sometimes when you just feel like building some Tanks and causing hell in your enemies capital.
Its a shame there aren't more games with interesting science trees like Civ, even CTP's trees look pretty simplistic so i'm not interested in that(i've only downloaded their science tree list)
Does everyone else like lots of different sciences to research and trade or am I a freak?

Some of these MMORPG's (massively multiplayer role playing games) or just big internet games look similar to Civ etc's genre- you can take charge of your own cities and clans, maybe this will prove interesting..

In my own game i've been doing a few years now with a couple of others(called Mantra) you can colonise other planets, conquering different levels of technological cultures/befriending them.. and theres tonnes of small sciences you need to research in each city, also many units can
move on their own(some are smarter than others like in real life), with politicians/overlords helping you to reduce micromanagement.

I'm also adding a mini quest system though its more like a cilisation god genre.. which i think makes things more interesting.

I suggest people get Civ Test of Time , and the Multiverse/ unitmania mods..
and try out the Midgard fantasy scenarios - if you can't wait for civ 3

AdmiralPJ
Old April 25, 2001, 15:03   #8
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Anyone got Cossacks: european wars?
the demo looked quite nice, though i hope the full one has more sounds..
It looks like it beats AOE anyhow.

I also recommend Warhammer:dark omen, its more an RTS but hey its got different units and you can buy them inbetween levels.

What do people think about Real time massive strategies?
like civ but in real time?
I think they have a lot of promise, but shouldn't be too weak on each genre, if its going to be strategy it should just have a bland strategy thrown in for the sake of it.

email peter@artpac.demon.co.uk
too

Admiral PJ
Emperor of the Real time Potatoe
Old April 25, 2001, 15:09   #9
Cyberbugs
Settler

TechWins, I suggest your get Call to Power2. It is certainly not a perfect game, but it is the most similiar to the Civ series. It has many good features and could keep your occupied for a while.
Old April 26, 2001, 16:33   #10
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 02:54
I thought the same about Call To Power and was badly disappointed.