Old April 29, 2002, 01:36   #1
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What happened to my stealth aircraft?
In the latest patch 1.21f it seems that the stealth aircraft are useless. The stealth bomber no longer has precision bombing. Now it's just a long range bomber.

I can't remember if the stealth fighter had precision bombing before or not, but the stealth fighter can't do air superiority missions. So I have to ask, what good is a stealth fighter? It has the same range as a conventional fighter and it stinks on bombing missions.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old April 29, 2002, 01:40   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:44
Looking at my civ3mod, both stealth aircraft have precision bombing. It's bizarre why the fighter doesn't have intercept, though.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:43   #3
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:44
The fighter doesn't have intercept?!
Old April 29, 2002, 01:44   #4
MosesPresley
Prince

I think I'll do that, thanks ixnay37.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
Old April 29, 2002, 01:46   #5
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

No, for some reason only the fighter, jet fighter, and F-15 have air intercept checked. So basically the stealth fighter is a cheaper, weaker stealth bomber.

Last edited by ixnay; April 29, 2002 at 01:51.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:46   #6
korn469
Emperor

the stealth fighter never had intercept, this is not new, also it is based on the real stealth fighter f-117 which isn't a fighter either, but is instead a light bomber, the only good thing about a stealth fighter is that it has a 5% chance of being intercepted instead of a 50% chance, so that means its can penetrate heavily defended air space...

is that of great value?
possibly

are air units in civ3 underpowered
totally
Old April 29, 2002, 01:49   #7
MosesPresley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
The fighter doesn't have intercept?!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you heard right. No air superiority.

I installed the patch and started a new game using the Aztecs. Everything was going well, except for the govenors ignoring my requests for no more workers, until I researched stealth. Then I find out my stealth fighters don't have the air superiority option and my stealth bombers don't have precision bombing. Not to sound like a broken record or anything.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:51   #8
MosesPresley
Prince

korn469, the stealth fighter used to have precision bombing though, right?
Old April 29, 2002, 01:52   #9
ixnay
Emperor

It still does, apparently.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:54   #10
korn469
Emperor

Moses

yeap it used to have p strike and afaik it still does
Old April 29, 2002, 01:55   #11
MosesPresley
Prince

I think I have a saved game. I'll check and if so I will attach one in a few minutes.
Old April 29, 2002, 01:59   #12
nationalist
Warlord

I've never even seen stealth technology in my games yet. Never seen radar artillery either come to think of it. Yet I've won the space race repeatedly. Strange.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 29, 2002, 02:03   #13
korn469
Emperor

Moses

here is a stupid, stupid question

but you have discovered smart weapons in your game right? p-strike isn't available till you do, otherwise, if you haven't modded anything i'm not sure
Old April 29, 2002, 02:08   #14
MosesPresley
Prince

korn469: DOH! I hadn't discovered smart weapons. Well, that's why I asked the experts.

My apologies all.
Old April 29, 2002, 02:16   #15
korn469
Emperor

Moses

no problem at all
Old April 29, 2002, 08:43   #16
M Bison
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
the stealth fighter never had intercept, this is not new, also it is based on the real stealth fighter f-117 which isn't a fighter either, but is instead a light bomber,
While it's role so far in military missions has been that of a bomber, the F-117 is quite a capable dogfighting aircraft as well. It is simply a case of the F-15, F-14 and F-18 being just as good (or better) and cheaper to keep in the air than the F-117. So the older fighters still get the Air Superiority missions. Keep in mind that the F-117 is designed for modern dogfighting. It has no guns, only missile armaments.

The F-117 should be able to do Air Superiority. I never noticed it couldn't. I shall be changing that in the editor when I get home from work tonight.
Old April 29, 2002, 10:11   #17
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 16:44
Let us know how stealth fighter supremacy works. As it is now the only value for stealth fighter is recon, and then the jet is better as it will switch to AS after recon.

As a variant, edit the stealth bomber to be hidden nationality, ala privateer. You can have a prewar and then the war. Of course, if you suddenly get a few mysterious hits, an AI has discovered the same feature. But they won't focus on using SB for resource limitation the way a human will.

Since fixaxis won't change manhattan to be small wonder, one strategy is to use hidden SB to remove access to UR and AL with a city ready to pump out manhattan in 8 turns if desired. That way you can have nukes and keep them from everyone, or at least most everyone. Usually one other civ will have a source you missed, but better to play with 2 nuclear powers than 16.
Old April 29, 2002, 10:25   #18
dac
Chieftain

M Bison: Where did you get the information that the F-117 was "quite a capable dogfighting aircraft?" That conflicts with all the info I've ever been able to dig up on the plane (which isn't much, admittedly).
Old April 29, 2002, 10:50   #19
dunk
Prince

Local Time: 19:44
Quote:
Originally posted by M Bison
Keep in mind that the F-117 is designed for modern dogfighting. It has no guns, only missile armaments.
Well, a plane without guns can't be that great of a dogfighter. I know that modern planes don't use guns very often, but they are absolutely necessary to be a true fighter plane.

The F-4 pilots in Vietnam stopped using their guns (according to the movie Top Gun ..."During Vietnam our kill ratio fell to 3 to 1, our pilots became dependant upon missiles") so they lost effectiveness against faster, more manuverable aircraft. With proper countermeasures and a skilled pilot, an F-15 would shoot down an F-117 without much difficulty (assuming he knows where it is ). My opinion, of course.
Old April 29, 2002, 10:53   #20
dunk
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
As a variant, edit the stealth bomber to be hidden nationality, ala privateer. You can have a prewar and then the war. Of course, if you suddenly get a few mysterious hits, an AI has discovered the same feature. But they won't focus on using SB for resource limitation the way a human will.
That is a very cool idea. Very cool indeed.
Old April 29, 2002, 10:55   #21
dac
Chieftain

dunk999: Certainly just about everything that the NVA flew against the F-4 was more manuverable, I doubt they had anything that was faster. It wasn't just dependence on missiles, but the McNamara Defense Department really didn't believe it was important to train troops, pilots, sailors, etc. That's why schools like Red Flag and Top Gun got started, to give US Pilots experience in Air Combat, whether with guns or missiles.

Prior to Vietnam, all of the talking heads believed that a fighter would take off, climb to altitude, turn on it's radar, see a blip, press a button, and a missile would eliminate the blip. Turned out to be not that way....
Old April 29, 2002, 11:04   #22
dunk
Prince

dac... I think depending upon missiles is a sign of poor training. I just wanted to quote the movie.
Old April 29, 2002, 11:37   #23
korn469
Emperor

M Bison

take a look at this site, apparently the F-117 doesn't carry air to air missiles which would hinder it's air supiority role a bit don't you think?
especially when you consider it is relatively slow

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-117.htm

i think you are thinking of the f-22 raptor

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-22.htm
Old April 29, 2002, 11:48   #24
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Korn469 is right. AFAIK the F-117 is not and has never been an air-superiority aircraft. Its waaaaaay too slow and does not have the required maneuverability to survive.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old April 29, 2002, 12:00   #25
korn469
Emperor

i remember watching this thing on the history channel, and originally the f-117 was painted a camoflage color, but the general in charge of the program ordered them painted black, not because it would help them operate at night better (actually the camo paint scheme made them harder to see at night) but because he didn't want anyone to get any ideas about using them during the day

also even if you did give the stealth fighter the intercept ability in civ3, that wouldn't improve it's chances of winning, and using lots of stealth aircraft actually reduces the chances of having civ3 dogfights...as a mod maker the thing that works best at simulating dog fights is to make attack and defense strengths for air intercept units to be the same and then to have the chance to intercept air units set really high (i have it set at 90% in my mod)