Old April 29, 2002, 09:18   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gameplex interview on SMAC
In the gameplex interview, SMAC came up:

Quote:
Some critics we heard about Alpha Centauri were that it offered way too much complexity at the cost of gameplay.

Sid: I can agree a little bit with that. It also had the problem that it was science-fiction, so you have to learn every new idea you didn’t already know. I think it’s one great thing Civilization has that you already know the railroads and gunpower, so that really shows how Civilization put together some pieces to make a good game. So we learned something from Alpha Centauri.
Agree/disagree?

I have heard the complaint about the sci-fi elements. I, personally, had no problems adapting to the new setting. I loved the sci-fi aspect because it raised all sorts of cool futuristic possibilies for what mankind might become.

I never heard complaints that SMAC sacrificed gameplay for complexity.

SMAC players on this board seem to praise SMAC's gameplay.
Where did gameplex hear that SMAC sacrificed gameplay for more complexity?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old April 29, 2002, 10:17   #2
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 23:45
I think perhaps they may be trotting out the same arguement that a complex game is incredibly if not nearly impossible to design a competent AI around. CIV3 boasts an agressive AI but has cut down on game complexity(nuances, tactics, units, facilities, immerisibility and so on...) in order to allow an AI that is reasonably codable.

Funny, in the various polls I've done the results suggest that players prefer feature laden games vs. a competent AI given a choice of one over the other.

Finally the feature laden game appears to have a greater following with theose players favoring MP as it allows more replayability and different avenues for underhanded tricks etc.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old May 1, 2002, 17:37   #3
SirVincealot
Settler

Local Time: 18:45
>>It also had the problem that it was science-fiction, so you have to learn every new idea you didn’t already know.<<

Now, that is plain nuts! One player may prefer "history" over sci-fi but that is no cause to say SMAC is inherently "inferior" for being set in the context of space exploration. We are not morons: many of us LIKE to learn about new things - what a surprise!

For anyone weaned on STAR TREK, Brin, Asimov, Niven, ect. the idea of playing a "near-future" adventure that extrapolates (and extrapolates VERY well) on currently acknowledged concepts and "hard" sci-fi is a godsend. As I've also said in another thread, CIV3 managed to make humanity-altering discoveries like electricity and computing into MUNDANE accomplishments. There is no excuse for that!

I have always had a feeling that SMAC was created in a sort of "mad genius" synergy between Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds. Comments like the one above, and the fact that Reynolds is now -of all things!- working on a clone of EMPIRE EARTH, itself a clone of AGE OF EMPIRES (down to the bloody interface!), itself heavily inspired by CIV2 (Bruce Shelley worked on that game); well that just goes to prove my hypothesis was correct. These two are much lessened by being separated: they achieve their best when they are together, working off one another...

Regards,
SirVincealot

Last edited by SirVincealot; May 3, 2002 at 16:02.
Old May 1, 2002, 23:14   #4
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

What you are hearing from Sid is that we will never see a game of SMAC's quality from Firaxis again. That is a shame.

I know in my heart that they will do a SMAC 2 and it will be awful.

Complexity and gameplay are not exclusive. What Sid has learned from Civ2 and SMAC is that if you make a quality game people will play it for years. That does not fit their marketing goals. The trend now is toward beer and pretzel games that people will play for a month or two and then be ready to buy more.

They want us to buy 6-12 mediocre games a year, not 1 great game every 2 years.

The marketing strategy can be justified both by the bottom line and by the fact that the majority of game players are going to be quite satisfied by the dumbed down games (like Civ3 for example).

I predict we won't see a TBS game that is the equal of SMAC for a period of 3-10 years and when we do, it will come from a small new shop.
Old May 1, 2002, 23:26   #5
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

D'accord.
Old May 2, 2002, 00:10   #6
Dcole78
Chieftain

I agree that the comment is ridiculous, alpha centauri is not at all any more complex than civilization and the sci-fi elements are what made it great! The best way to describe alpha centauri is civilization with a plot. This is also the reason it was so much better even that civ 2.
Old May 2, 2002, 11:06   #7
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 20:45
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
Complexity and gameplay are not exclusive. What Sid has learned from Civ2 and SMAC is that if you make a quality game people will play it for years. That does not fit their marketing goals. The trend now is toward beer and pretzel games that people will play for a month or two and then be ready to buy more.

They want us to buy 6-12 mediocre games a year, not 1 great game every 2 years.
Yes, the "planned obsolescence" rule applies to PC games as well. That is exactly how I feel about it. Games are more and more shallow and graphic-intensive, leaving us with just some months of play and then we have to buy another one.

But I'm not into nostalgia. Not yet.
Old May 2, 2002, 13:13   #8
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SirVincealot
I have always had a feeling that SMAC was created in a sort of "mad genius" synergy between Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds.
Actually, just as was the case with Civ2, Sid hardly helped in the creation of SMAC. He was too busy with his Civil War series. In other words: SMAC=BRAC.
Old May 5, 2002, 00:54   #9
thinkingamer
Warlord

Local Time: 15:45
Personally, i hate Sci-fi stuff generally. But SMAC is a very interesting possibilty of our world in the future: And after finishing Civ2 5-10 times in deity, who would not want to start a civ game in AC?!

Besides, all the factions represented (somewhat) the ideals of our present society. (One of the reason that i did not buy Alien Crossfire is its weird overpowered Sci-fi factions)

Anyway, back to the learning curve: when i started to play Civ 2, i was SOOOOOOOO confused: it took about 3 months to understand this game fully. (but no one [EXCEPT the programmer of civ2] will understand civ2 100%, such as "what is the the exact % of corruption in a Republican gov't? we have to live off by estimating)

It took me about 1.5 months to understand SMAC. The main reasons r:
1. Weird Tech tree
2. Weird Units, Base improvements, and Secrets
3. New concepts overall (how do i turn off the governors???)
4. Terraforming!!! (still have some trouble, but i just build forest mostly )

The point here is SMAC can be very hard to please a newbe IMHO.

by the way english is my 3rd language so u can correct me
Old May 11, 2002, 12:17   #10
Kataphraktoi
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Data AngelsNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4BtSDG Realms Beyond
Emperor

Local Time: 19:45
your english is fine.

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''
Old May 14, 2002, 04:11   #11
Comstr
Prince

Local Time: 23:45
If SMAC=BRG, where is he and is he working on SMACsquarded?
Old May 14, 2002, 14:02   #12
Adalbertus
Prince

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I enjoy SMAC because of its complexity. Despite of the SciFi part. If I have too much time, perhaps I'll create a historic SMAC scenario (probably never ). In "the other" series of games I like to play, Might and Magic (6-8), a medieval adventure series, I observed similar things. The quality of graphics improved (slightly), but by far the best plot was in MM6. Best music for my taste also.

I think I learned the technical things about playing Civ1 in a week, Civ2 in a few days, and SMAC in two or three weeks. Of course not to be a good player but knowing the rules and the technical part of the possibilities. OK, I needed Vel's guide to learn the importance of shell units and so on. But if you want to have much fun, you have to work a lot, if you don't want to work and don't mind to have less fun, use the governors. That's why they exist IMO.

About the planned obsolescence: A very sad thing, and often even harder to detect than for most other things. Encouraged by the free market, but in the end it will ruin products. I, and I hope many others, do not want to buy a game for a few months. I will be much more careful about buying games after the disappointment of Ctp2 and (partly) Civ3. Probably buying less altogether.
Old May 15, 2002, 15:09   #13
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 19:45
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Re: Gameplex interview on SMAC
Quote:
After this quote from the gameplex interview...

Some critics we heard about Alpha Centauri were that it offered way too much complexity at the cost of gameplay.

Sid: I can agree a little bit with that. It also had the problem that it was science-fiction, so you have to learn every new idea you didn’t already know. I think it’s one great thing Civilization has that you already know the railroads and gunpower, so that really shows how Civilization put together some pieces to make a good game. So we learned something from Alpha Centauri.

... The diplomat posed the question:

Agree/disagree?
In the words of Colonel Sherman Potter of the 4077th M*A*S*H:
Horse Puckey!
Old May 15, 2002, 15:15   #14
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Sherm always did mince words!