View Poll Results: What is your favourity city style? (See pictures below)
Egyptian 2 10.53%
Palace 3 15.79%
Asian 0 0%
Middle East 1 5.26%
Roman 1 5.26%
Castle 2 10.53%
Pyramid 1 5.26%
Modern 0 0%
Genetic 2 10.53%
Diamond 2 10.53%
Undersea 0 0%
Space 2 10.53%
Cyber 0 0%
Aquatic 1 5.26%
Utopian 2 10.53%
Alien 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29, 2002, 14:33   #1
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Favourite City Style
Simple question: which of the 16 city styles that CtP1/2 offers us (if there are more *do* tell me) is your favourite? Which one is the most beautiful/cool/interesting/realistic/bizar/whatever?

Below I'll post some pictures because not all the names are immediately obvious (some styles don't have a name or have double names so I had to make up a few names myself) and because it looks cool Note that not all Industrial & Modern pictures are shown due to lack of room and time, but you get the idea from the graphics that are included...
Old April 29, 2002, 14:37   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Here are the images, kudos to Harland and Martin for the prepatory work
Single image with all styles here - it was too wide to post here).

Old April 29, 2002, 16:13   #3
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Egyptian style looks very good in game, i like the Aztec style too; something about those pyramid structures(the angles!) that look great.Any pre modern pre industrial city gives the game more atmosphere(but then i'm an ancient-fan).
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old April 29, 2002, 18:16   #4
Locutus
Deity

Oh, almost forgot, I absolutely the Egyptian Pyramid style... My second choice would be Middle East, followed by a draw between Asian and Cyber.
Old April 29, 2002, 18:56   #5
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 16:46
I much prefer Middle East. There's a certain sturdiness to the latter versions that I like the look of - I guess because it has the most formidable looking front wall of the lot. After that, I like the Asian style.
Old April 29, 2002, 22:30   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:46
Hm, hard choice. I like the early Egyptian ones and the meduim size Asian style. But i think id choose the Palace style overall. Good detail.
Old April 29, 2002, 23:07   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I always liked The Diamond-age style.
Old April 29, 2002, 23:43   #8
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:46
The best is the Genetic
The Worse is the Utopian

But i do like the Roman, Egyptian, Diamond and Undersea.

Locutus, Do you have the Alien city sprites i had neve seen them before. I could use them in my scenario.
-Jean Rostand
Old April 30, 2002, 13:55   #9
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Tough choice between Egyptian, Middle East and Castle. I guess that I didn't t realize that CTP1/2 had so many different choices for city type
Old April 30, 2002, 14:02   #10
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Although there is no correlation, I find the larger and "sturdier" the city design, the quicker I am to assume it is well defended. Silly, really.
Old May 1, 2002, 08:25   #11
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by centrifuge
I guess that I didn't t realize that CTP1/2 had so many different choices for city type
That's 90% of the reason why I posted this poll

Pedrunn,
Those are unused CtP1 sprites, gemini posted about them on the CtP1 forums ages ago. I presume Activision was testing out different graphics sets for space/future cities and eventually dropped these but put them the game as easter eggs... They're gc62.spr to gc65.spr (of CtP1). In case you don't have the game (anymore), I'll put them on the server later today...
Old May 1, 2002, 08:45   #12
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

In my opinion the last for city sprites are unused city sprites of the CTP1 genetic style (that is the hardest to guess), CTP1 diamond, CTP1 undersea and CTP1 space city style. So I can update CityMod2 for CTP1.

-Martin
Old May 1, 2002, 09:08   #13
Locutus
Deity

Good point, they do indeed resemble these existing styles. But I think they're too different to actually have been intended as last versions of those style, more like dismissed older versions (just like with the War Walker that The Big Mc pointed out a while ago...) But it would be kind of nice to use them as last cities for these styles...
Old May 1, 2002, 12:32   #14
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I like these ones

But other than those, the Middle East renaissance and then the space and undersea cities from CtP1
Old May 1, 2002, 13:14   #15
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

WOOOAAW I hadnt seen those before, nice. I apologise for not visiting your site sooner. Im not a big Lord of the Rings fan but looks like a decent start for a scenario.
Old May 1, 2002, 13:17   #16
Locutus
Deity

Those Elven (and Dwarf) cities are nice as well but since they were rather scenario-specific (and because there's only room for 16 options in the poll ), I decided to leave them out...
Old May 1, 2002, 13:39   #17
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Good choice. They aren't all that important in the scheme of things.
Old May 7, 2002, 09:26   #18
DeanToth
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:46
WOW! I've never seen most of these city styles...

Pedrunn, are you crazy? The Utopian style is near the top of my list for favorite style... Maybe cuz it took so long for my empire to get to that level, but once my cities took on that appearance I fell in love. Plus it nicely underscores the fact that Humans have reached such a high level of development that their technology looks very "alien" to us in the present. High, graceful, tree-like crystalline spires... it's about as futuristic/alien as it gets... (the other future-city styles are too easy and Jetson's like).

Hmm, very hard to rate all these cities.. they are ALL so nice and detailed - it makes me like the game even more than I did!! I'd have to split my favs into ancient/future favorites:

Ancient favorites:
1-Roman
2-Egypt
3-Mayan/pyramid

Future:
1-Cyber
2-Utopian
Old May 7, 2002, 09:33   #19
DeanToth
Chieftain

How come as my nation progresses thru modern, genetic, diamond ages that my cities go straight from modern to cyber, then utopia? I've never ever seen the genetic and diamond style in my own games....

Does it have to do with the research choices one makes?

PS- for size-change progression, I really like the way the Cyber graphics start with chunky Star-Wars-like gray bumpiness, and slowly grows into the larger, egg-like mega building (and the Star Trek "federation blue" color is sweet)...

All these city graphics are super tight!

Thanks for posting these images! I'm gonna send a copy to a friend of mine who is just getting into CTP2 and wow him with it.
Old May 7, 2002, 09:35   #20
DeanToth
Chieftain

sorry for my chain-posting... :-)

but I had to add that I didn't know you had a site, Wombat. I've just bookmarked it and will check it out. Nice elf-city tiles!!
Old May 7, 2002, 12:03   #21
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DeanToth
How come as my nation progresses thru modern, genetic, diamond ages that my cities go straight from modern to cyber, then utopia? I've never ever seen the genetic and diamond style in my own games....

Does it have to do with the research choices one makes?
It has nothing to do with research coices. Now it is time to correct Loctutus about his name choices to clarify it. CTP2 has different city styles for the Genetic, Diamond ages. And diffrent styles for the sea cities. So the styles named as Genetic, Diamond and Undersea styles are in fact CTP1 Genetic, Diamond and Undersea styles. Locutus called the CTP2 Genetic style Cyber. The CTP2 Diamond style is on the huge image Utopian and the CTP2 Undersea style is called by Locutus Aquatic. BTW you will never see this style in CTP2, because of the Sea-City-Bug. This bug will display the undersea cities as land cities. If this bug isn't in CTP2 than I would have used the CTP1 Undersea style in CityMod2.

-Martin
Old May 7, 2002, 15:47   #22
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
sorry for my chain-posting... :-)

but I had to add that I didn't know you had a site, Wombat. I've just bookmarked it and will check it out. Nice elf-city tiles!!
Thanks. Maybe I should advertise more (I got 9 hits on May 1st, I was impressed. I don't even think it was me )

You can reach it by clicking the big W in my signature as well.
Old May 7, 2002, 16:10   #23
DeanToth
Chieftain

Heh heh.

As for advertising, maybe a more obvious link in your "wombat" name-graphic? The "wasted life" W is a little obscure. (btw - I love the smart-@$$ quote from Firaxis.... he put his foot in his mouth on that one!)
=====================
A question for anyone who knows:

For the various city graphics, such as citymod or wombat's Tolkein cities, can these be used in the Apolyton pack (or other mods)? Or am I relegated to using the standard game if I want to use those nice city grfx?
Old May 7, 2002, 16:20   #24
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

I can't put links in the picture unfortunately, I could make a better link in the sig I guess, but the www link above each of my post takes me to the same place too...

If you know what files to change, you can use any sprites with any mod, though it is probably best to make another mod that uses almost all APOL_ files, but some APOL_DT_ files (for example) so that you have the 'original' Apolyton PAck intact for the tournament or other standardised games.
Old May 7, 2002, 16:34   #25
DeanToth
Chieftain

You know I have no idea what you just said, right? I am clueless on the constituent files for these mods.

So, just to be absolutely clear, when I use the citymod or your Tolkien cities, am I just playing the "normal" unmodded game? Cuz that would be a shame... I'd at least like the Apolyton game.... running.

=========

Oh yeah.. the homepage link on your post :-) I guess I sorta blank out on all those little icons after a while.... maybe others do to. Take it easy
Old May 8, 2002, 02:15   #26
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, just to be absolutely clear, when I use the citymod or your Tolkien cities, am I just playing the "normal" unmodded game? Cuz that would be a shame... I'd at least like the Apolyton game.... running.
It is no problem if you want to play ApolytonPack and at the same time CityMod2. CityMod2 is already a part of ApolytonPack, so if you play ApolytonPack than you play CityMod2, too. BTW the same thing is true for Cradle and MedPack, and there is no GoodMod option without the new City Graphics of CityMod2.

-Martin
Old May 8, 2002, 02:30   #27
DeanToth
Chieftain

Oh yes!!! You guys make me happier and happier as time goes by.

Take it easy.
Old October 7, 2002, 14:38   #28
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

CityMod2 (does it have all the city types)
This is a very interesting thread which ive only justs seen

I didnt know there where so many city styles in ctp2
I have a few important questions though

1) Does CityMod2 Make use of all the city styles shown and the other page (with exception of sea colonies, Space cities and Alien cites) I really really hope the answer is yes cause they are all to good to be wasted if there not all used why not, could u make an update to CityMod2 (Martin) to include all city styles if there not already .

2)
Quote:
BTW you will never see this style in CTP2, because of the Sea-City-Bug. This bug will display the undersea cities as land cities
WTF! That is the worse bug i have heard of in CtP2, so your saying if you build a sea city it displays as a land one....... This is an awful bug, isnt there anyway to fix it. What causes this bug (Craptivision are total d***s if they have made a bug of this size (i thought the Research bug and gold for advance bugs where bad enough)

3) What where those alien cities intended for, there very intruiging (those space cities look so cool to, never seen them that big)

4) Is there any city styles that havent been posted on the other page ie Unused craptivision ones or one from ctp1 etc
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old October 7, 2002, 15:49   #29
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG
1) Does CityMod2 Make use of all the city styles shown and the other page (with exception of sea colonies, Space cities and Alien cites) I really really hope the answer is yes cause they are all to good to be wasted if there not all used why not, could u make an update to CityMod2 (Martin) to include all city styles if there not already.
Unfortunatly the answer is no. For the CTP1 undersea cities it is clear that the problem is the sea city sprite bug, that made me to do my first post. For the others I actual don't know, maybe, because I considerd to do some more for the modern age but that would have taken the sprite numbers over the 200. I think there is still some space at the beginning of the sprite numbers, there could find the ones from CTP1 their place, for more we have to hack the ctp2.exe.

Quote:
3) What where those alien cities intended for, there very intruiging (those space cities look so cool to, never seen them that big)
Actual this is a misinterpretation of Locutus. If you look a little bit closer on the graphics you will see that these ones are the eights sprites of the CTP1 Genetic, CTP1 Diamond, CTP1 Undersea and CTP1 Space cities.

Quote:
4) Is there any city styles that havent been posted on the other page ie Unused craptivision ones or one from ctp1 etc
As far as I know that are all CTP1 and CTP2 sprites we have, Locutus just skipped all the modern sprites I made exept the fifth level and all the CTP2 modern city styles.

-Martin
Old October 7, 2002, 15:58   #30
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Quote:
Unfortunatly the answer is no
Will you make a small update to include the diamond or genetic styles ? seems such a waste

Quote:
Actual this is a misinterpretation of Locutus. If you look a little bit closer on the graphics you will see that these ones are the eights sprites of the CTP1 Genetic, CTP1 Diamond, CTP1 Undersea and CTP1 Space cities
Oh yea i see now, hmm take it these were never used in ctp1 either

What is the actual problem with sea cities (i know they dont display) but why what is causing this, is there anyway to get them to display. If we had the source code could we get this to work? Its quite upsetting to hear this about the sea cities, cant believe craptivision could overlook such a massive bug (actually wait a minuet, yes i can)
http://www.tiberiumsun.com