Old April 30, 2002, 01:46   #1
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
can u have more than 1 leader ? cont'd
Its been ages since i looked and i can't find it now so i apologize if this question has already been answered once and for all.

Playing on war lord...i had a leader hanging around for about a thousand years. I decided to turn it into an army to see if i could get another 1 and how.

Sure enough 2 battles later..using an elite tank to win 2 battles (i don't know if it had won any before this while elite)...

a new leader was created. So i have 2.

I remember that people did say that the opponents were definately known to have more than 1 army.

So in case this is a moot point now, i would like to add the following observation about capturing a city. Well, i guess its more of a whine.

In all my conquering, the most improvements that have remained have been 3-4. This is when there is only 1 troop defending the enemy city. Usually I am only left with 1 or no improvements.

On the one hand its not so bad since i have no fear of using maximum firepower since i will get almost nothing anyway.

And with this latest patch, i have to starve a population down to around 9 before I can actually assign workers to land instead of entertainers.

In civ 2..you could usually count on keeping 1/2 the improvements.

So after all that i have 2 questions.

1) Is my observation valid?
2) If it is, why so harsh on the destruction even if there is only a minimal defence force?

hello =)

edit: oh and 1 more thing...that delay pause when you remove an airport or harbour is definately GONE. thanks!

Last edited by Redstar; April 30, 2002 at 01:53.
Old April 30, 2002, 01:58   #2
nationalist
Warlord

Local Time: 18:48
I don't think that it is possible to have 2 active great leaders at once. However, as soon as you use a great leader (through either building an army or building a wonder) you are eligable to create a new Great Leader.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old April 30, 2002, 02:01   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: can u have more than 1 leader ? cont'd
Quote:
Originally posted by Redstar
Playing on war lord...i had a leader hanging around for about a thousand years. I decided to turn it into an army to see if i could get another 1 and how.

Sure enough 2 battles later..using an elite tank to win 2 battles (i don't know if it had won any before this while elite)...

a new leader was created. So i have 2.
The issue wasn't having two leaders during the course of the game, it was having them simultaneously. I have had numerous leader generate armies at once (end of the game, nothing left to build) If I am misreading, my apologies.

Quote:
In all my conquering, the most improvements that have remained have been 3-4. This is when there is only 1 troop defending the enemy city. Usually I am only left with 1 or no improvements.
The reason you have this problem is because all of the culture buildings are destroyed when you capture it: temples cathedrals, etc. all that remains are marketplaces, granaries, factories, etc.
Old April 30, 2002, 09:24   #4
Redstar
Warlord

sorry i ment to stress...that i do have 2 leaders at once,...in the form of armies.

But if ya ment leaders without having changed them into armies, then i think i have prooved you can only have 1 untransformed leader at a time.

I also realize there is a more difficult time without cultural buildings..my point was that it is now much harder than it was when at war.

If i make peace with the enemy...its like going from night to day.
All of a sudden everyone is happy. This is quite a radical departure from the more middle of the road dynamics we had before.

ANd, i would also still like to know why so many buildings are destroyed compared to civ2...
Old April 30, 2002, 14:04   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
sorry i ment to stress...that i do have 2 leaders at once,...in the form of armies.

But if ya ment leaders without having changed them into armies, then i think i have prooved you can only have 1 untransformed leader at a time.
yes. as many armies as your civ can support and one Gl at a time.

Quote:
ANd, i would also still like to know why so many buildings are destroyed compared to civ2...
because of the culture system. You don't want a city that you capture to keep producing another civs culture, do you? And you need to build that temple so that the borders expand.
Old April 30, 2002, 14:44   #6
Redstar
Warlord

i build a temple as soon as i'm allowed of course.

but no..i want the cultural buildings to produce my culture when i take it over Its a pain to have to rebuild a 26 city from almost scratch

and ya,,,Its called assimilation.
Old May 1, 2002, 22:45   #7
Redstar
Warlord

just want to add..that after playing some more...i am now getting up to 7 buildings left (even after nuking and going through 3 units)

so i guess its just a question of randomness like the other situations.

The culture is so much better than the last patch as is the corruption to more than balance ...

So ..looks like i take it all back now. this thread does not exist