Old October 17, 2000, 14:31   #91
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:45
Local Date: October 30, 2010
kcbob & CornMaster: Save file in the post ...

Smash & Maud'Dib: Your heroic prose now on the Succession site

everyone: Sorry about the delay - a classic example of more haste less speed - I made a total pig's ear of the website upload and finished up doing it three times!!! If there are still problems let me know...

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
Old October 17, 2000, 14:42   #92
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:45
The Eagle has landed!! At least in my Hotmail inbox. I'll jump on it when I get home, ETA 17:30 Apolyton time.

May my ancestor's spirits be with me as I undertake this most solemn responsibility... the care and nurturing of our world. *sniff* And may I leave it in a better way for posterity. *more sniffing* Or else I'm sure I'll hear about it.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
Old October 17, 2000, 14:47   #93
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 19:15
quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 10-17-2000 01:14 PM
Sounds like the ICSers did in fact wreak a bit of havoc on the initial master plan *pictures Cornmaster disbanding cities and transfering the population back to his initial planned population centers*

Hey who told you my plan??
I just don't see the benifit of 20 small size 1 and 2 cities over 5 size 8 or 10 cities. But I'll work with what I got I guess.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
"The best meat is in the rump!"
I AM CANADIAN!
CornEmpire Index
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old October 17, 2000, 16:50   #94
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:45
quote:

Originally posted by CornMaster on 10-17-2000 12:04 PM
Do you guys always build your cities so close together?

No, on decent terrain I would have built them even closer ! At King level on a large map, I can build 50+ cities before having any real happiness worries.

Smash - sad as it is to wait till 525 BC to change to Monarchy government, it's sadder still to see the Monarchy tech white on the F6 screen (meaning the AIs were even later).
Old October 17, 2000, 17:10   #95
kcbob
King

Did someone (me) say revisionist history?

I'm still at work (ssshhh!!) so I haven't started my leg of the journey. But I do have the intro to my legacy in writing. Here it is. I felt that I'd better get this out of the way so I can better concentrate on keeping a log and not wiping us all out while it's my turn at the helm.

In the first year after the birth of our Lord, hereafter known as 1 AD, kcbob the First came to power.

Born in the city of Ahab in the year 49 BC, a man of humble origins. During his lifetime, he had witnessed a remarkable change in his nation. He had possessed a thirst for knowledge since an early childhood and as a result, had searched the ancient writings that were available. It was through these tablets that he had learned of his heritage and of the great rulers of years past.

In the beginning, there was Emperor CornMaster, also know as Father Corn. It was through his leadership and guidance that Apolyton had been established and great was the awe and reverence in which he was held.

Maud'dib the Great! The name, even in the days of kcbob, inspired great tales of battles, great tales of intrigue, and great tales of proliferation. The land prolifered, the nation prolifered, and Maud'dib prolifered. After taking Father Corn's daughter and kingdom into his care, Maud'dib watched over the growth of Apolyton and his own family… finally relinquishing the kingdom to his 37th son, Scouse Gits.

Sadly, as has been the case in so many dynasties, father and son followed divergent paths. And so it was that Scouse Gits in Concert, began to expand the empire of Apolyton. Never before had such a growth in the size of our beloved Apolyton been witnessed. And while some may disagree with this course of action, there was no turning back!

Thus it was that Councilor DaveV arose to power. Exactly how that was accomplished is still debated to this day as the sacred tablets detailing that transfer of power have somehow been lost or destroyed. One thing is certain… the name of Councilor DaveV will forever be lifted high on the voice of Apolytoners. DaveV, the discoverer of Monarchy! The king is dead! Long live the king!

And then there was one. The son. And we of Apolyton count ourselves fortunate. For during the entire reign of Councilor DaveV, during his watchkeeping of our great nation, in spite of a lifespan of 1000 years and 248 wives, only one of them bore him a son. The son. King Smash, son of DaveV and Tatyanna XXIII.

The nation, indeed the world had never before seen a leader such as King Smash. Seemingly omniscient with his work in the land surrounding Java, wise beyond all others in his decisions to pursue wonders, the entire nation of Apolyton mourned his passing, struck down in the prime of his life after a fall from his favorite steed, Trigger.

Who would lead the nation? Who would guide the nation in the dealings with the strange ships around Stenton. And then, as if in answer to the prayers of the people, a vision was given to the people of Apolyton. One name appeared in the mind of every inhabitant of the land during the same night's sleep… kcbob of ahab, son of bobjr, son of bobsr. He was the chosen one.

But wise were the ways of kcbob. While he did not ask for the mantle of authority to be wrapped around his shoulders, neither did he refuse it. And neither did he refuse the wisdom of the many rulers before him in Apolyton. Long he spent examining the countryside. Long he spent examining the cities and peoples of his land. Long he spent gathering his thoughts before he began making the decisions required of him, the decisions that would affect the generations yet to come.

And when those decisions were forthcoming, they were set down for ages. They were set down for those who would follow, so that they too, like him, might learn from their predecessors.

Any changes you'd like to see will just have to wait until your reincarnation.

Later.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 17, 2000, 18:11   #96
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
Excellent!

I was very grateful that I did not have to operate under Despo.

With the late Monarchy and less than ideal terrain,I figured we would be way behind but we are not.Not doing too bad at all.

Old October 17, 2000, 18:12   #97
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Bloody marvelous, kcbob, bloody marvelous - I can see that someone is vying for a two page entry - I tried to modify my story slightly to tie in with Maud'Dib, but I guess we need a link between us and DaveV

------------------

Old October 17, 2000, 19:01   #98
Christantine The Great
Prince

Local Time: 17:45
I'm sorry about my silence. I was waiting for the game to come. There is something wrong with the E-Mail I gave you. It doesn't accept anything besides AOL mail. Send the game to my address in my profile. Again I am sorry.

------------------
"Freedom, Trade, Christantine!"

The Official Webpage of the Chrisonian Republic

The Viking Archives
Old October 17, 2000, 21:03   #99
kcbob
King

Half time update.

I had to come out to the site to see just when my turn was up. Last thing in the world I want to do is look up and it's 1844 and I'm still playing!

I'll tell you one thing though. This is murder! I can't believe the weight I'm feeling on my shoulders everytime I have to make a decision.

And I'm gonna have to do some powerful spin doctoring in my "journal". Please be merciful.

Well, back in to the breach!! Onward Apolyton!!

------------------
Frodo lives!

Old October 17, 2000, 23:38   #100
kcbob
King

Okay, I just finished and emailed the zipped game to CornMaster, Scouse Gits, and Paul. Hopefully, I've delivered it in a usable format. The log will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Good luck, Paul!

BTW. The time line is slightly out of whack. I took 18 turns as opposed to the suggested 15 but finished in 170 AD as opposed to the estimated 280 AD. Turns are going at 10 years apiece. Go figure.

Hope this is okay.
------------------
Frodo lives!

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 18, 2000, 00:04   #101
CornMaster
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Maud'Dib on 10-17-2000 07:25 AM
From the Chronicles of Maud'Dib the Great...

And I thought I was over dramatic (I'm refering to the whole article)

I think we have a writer in our mists.

And that Darius is a ass. I drank WAY too much that night.

And just a comment on playing style. Do you guys always build your cities so close together? It doesn't allow for very big cities. I always try to have each city have it's own resources and no conflicts in it's city radis. In MP I might build a little closer but not that close!

------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
CornEmpire Index
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
[This message has been edited by CornMaster (edited October 17, 2000).]
Old October 18, 2000, 00:15   #102
CornMaster
Prince

It's probably because of the level the turns were originally arranged on. Just play your number of turns and everything should be cool.

See I told you it would be cool

------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
CornEmpire Index
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old October 18, 2000, 00:45   #103
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:45
I just got the save from kcbob. I don't have time to play it now, but I will start playing when I get home from work.
Old October 18, 2000, 02:33   #104
Maud'Dib

The reason that Monarchy came so late is due to the fact that I got techs (4) from huts which slowed our research--only Alphabet was a tech that lead to Monarchy. All the others, Currency, Warrior Code & Horseback Riding diverged from the path.

------------------
"And his word shall carry
death eternal to those who
stand against righteousness."

Old October 18, 2000, 02:56   #105
Maud'Dib

Scouse, I found a problem with my posts.

After my turn, I posted I got a None attached archer. This is incorrect, I got the tech Horseback riding.

I confused my original post with a game I was currently playing at the time. It wasn't until I wrote the Chronicles and reloaded the file that I was able to correctly chronicle my achievements.

I also notice a small spelling mistake on my part. I wrote, "...Darius feels to his knees." It should be falls.

------------------
[This message has been edited by Maud'Dib (edited October 18, 2000).]

Old October 18, 2000, 05:05   #106
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Thanks Maud'Dib - will fix tonight.

The world awaits the (revisionist) history of kcbob the first

Good luck Paul - unless kcbob has some serious explaining to do this will be a very different game for you

------------------

Old October 18, 2000, 09:51   #107
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I played to 350 AD and sent the game to Sibir. Andemagne was next in line, but he didn't yet post his e-mail, so I skipped him.

During the reign of Paul the new government form of Republic was discovered. The Apolytonian cities started building temples to prepare themselves for this new government. It is up to his successor Sibir to continue these prepararions.

Apolytonian scienctists have discovered Philosophy, Seafaring, Republic, Wheel, Banking, Polytheism and Feudalism and are now researching Monotheism. The Great Library has been a great help in our research. The city of Apolyton built Marco Polo's Embassy, which allowed us to make contact with the other civilizations and share our maps of the world.

Two new Apolytonian cities were founded: Christantinople and Sibiria.

Despite our peaceful intentions the Chinese sneak attacked an Apolytonian trireme loaded with caravans. The Celtic city of Cardiff built the Great Wall and the Mongolian city of Karakorum built the Oracle during our reign. We have now retired from the Apolytonian throne and appointed Sibir as our successor.
[This message has been edited by Paul (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old October 18, 2000, 10:59   #108
kcbob
King

Well, the historical record is complete. But I'm afraid I wax poetic. Or wax prosetic. Or is that prosthetic? Anyway, I'll email it to Scouse Gits for posting on his site. I'm a little hesitant to post it here though because it's kinda long. Oh, what the heck... here it comes. And remember, I'm out of sequence now that Paul has finished his turn already. One last time, please forgive me if this is too wordy. It was just too much of a hoot doing it.

"These are the events that transpired during the reign of kcbob the first. These are the decisions that weighed so heavily on his shoulders.

As was his wont to do, kcbob examined the ancient scrolls and consulted his advisors before making his first decisions. It was through this course of action that a vision was seen by those counselors of five great cities, five great nations, five potential adversaries. The names were strange, the locations unknown. But they were there, nonetheless.

And then, disaster struck! Before the great nation of Apolyton could finish its first wonder, before kcbob could even issue one proclamation, word came that one of "the five" had built the Hanging Gardens. Babylon had stolen that which was rightfully ours. The first of the happiness wonders. With a course set for the land of ICS, this would have grave implications.

But kcbob was steadfast in his leadership, and the nation felt confident. The city of Gitsburg changed from building the Hanging Gardens to building the Lighthouse so that we might have a beacon shining forth throughout the world. Apolyton, the birthplace of our great nation, changed also, opting to begin constructing a great Colossus so that we might increase in knowledge for knowledge IS power.

In the next few years, Trade was discovered and new choices were placed before the leader and his advisors. While some, including the science advisor, advised researching Construction, Writing was chosen as the next area for advancement for knowledge IS power. Our navy sailed east from Stenton in search of the mystery fleet sighted years before and the city of Hobbiton was established. The nation flourished.

Caravans were begun over the next few years. The prospect of increased trade had the people excited. Phalanxes were trained and the cities grew stronger. The city of Rivendell was established. The old ways of ICS were still strong. And a small island off the coast near Ahab was discovered. A wandering trireme came across this barren piece of land and wonder grew in the minds of the people. Maybe there WERE other civilizations; maybe there WERE other lands; maybe, just maybe, Apolyton was NOT the center of the universe.

But there was dissent in the land to the east of Java. In the barren wilderness that became know as "The East Forty", barbarians rose up threatening the peaceful people of Apolyton. To meet this threat, our brave horsemen rode forth, fearless, and into battle.

And then… tragedy struck again! The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray. So it was with the efforts to take our rightful place as leaders among free peace loving people. In visions it was made clear that the cursed Babylonians had again, this time building the Colossus before we could complete our own. If that was not bad enough, a new race appeared on the scene, one called the Chinese. Strange of name but relentless in their pursuit of stature among the races of the world, they built a wonder that will no doubt stand until the end of time… the Pyramids! Would the people of Apolyton ever build a wonder? Would we ever know that OUR name would be seen in vision by others? Would we ever cease trying to be the best? The answer was… NO! We would NEVER give up!

Forward we went. The city of Apolyton decided to build a great embassy under the leadership of the renowned explorer, Marco Polo. The city of Gitsburg began a Great Wall. The secret of Writing was discovered and the nation thirsted for more knowledge for knowledge IS power. Literacy was chosen as the next field of research. The mantra began to spread throughout the land… KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!

Over the next several decades, the nation prospered. Pax Apolytona became the byword of the people. The mythical fleets to the south were nowhere to be found. Barbarians feared our armies and no longer challenged our borders. Peaceful settlers went forth from Xinville and Paultimore intent on improving the quality of life for Apolytoners.

A new city was founded on the eastern side of the empire, Bloomin Prairie. Exploration was showing nothing promising in "The East Forty". And then…

A New World was discovered!!! The tiny island south of Ahab was nothing more than an atoll in the vast expanse of sea. But this… this was more. This was exciting! This was foreboding!! This was a whole new world!!! Our trireme in the east, captained by the illustrious and valiant Admiral Columbus, boldly set sail south and discovered a new land mass that beckoned to every man, woman, and child of Apolyton… send me your poor, your tired, those yearning to be free.

And while news of this discovery spread throughout the land, our researchers gave us a most precious gift… Literacy. The prospect for MORE knowledge, MORE power through that knowledge, filled the hearts of the people with joy. So much so that the residents of Smashchester, in a gesture that spoke only of the good of the whole, began constructing a library, nay a Great Library, with the hope that perhaps THIS might be the wonder to put Apolyton in its rightful place; that THIS might be the wonder that allowed us to attain our manifest destiny as THE rulers of the world!

In these last days, events began to move with a swiftness never before seen in Apolyton. Upon the shores of the new world, Admiral Columbus spotted a warrior wearing strange garb, of a color never before seen. Blue, like the sky, yet lighter in hue it was. But it was only seen from afar, from the safety of his ship for he had no units with which to explore.

Because of this, a decision was made. One of two monumental decisions. With a land to the south beckoning to us, and with unreliable triremes as our only vessels to reach it, it was decided to open the coffers of the treasury and complete the Lighthouse. There was much debate over this issue but with "The East Forty" holding little promise, other avenues of "safe" exploration needed to be opened.

But the second decision was the one for which kcbob's reign will forever be remembered. The treasury coffers were opened again. The mantra was repeated. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! The Great Library was completed! Let the "five cities of gold" assist us in our quest for knowledge. Let the legacy of Scouse Gits in Concert, the belief in ICS, go forward! Let others do the work while we reap the benefits!

And as the cheers went up, as the population of the great empire of Apolyton reached the heretofore believed unattainable number of one million, even before we could see the fruition of the many years of our labors, sadness and tragedy, foreboding and heartbreak, hand in hand, fell over the land.

In vision, one of kcbob's closest advisors was shown that while the Great Library was a godsend, while Apolyton would reap great rewards as a result of its building, one named Edison would be its downfall.

And upon hearing this, while sucking on a cocoa bean, a new found treasure from the "new world", kcbob choked to death. Struck down in the prime of his life. The shortest lived leader of Apolyton, dead at the age of 219. And with his dying breath, with all the strength he could muster, with the bean lodged in his throat, he tried to summons his doctor. The one man he trusted to save his life, Dr. Demento, currently practicing in the city of Paultimore.

But all that came out was… Paul…"

------------------
Frodo lives!

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited October 18, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old October 18, 2000, 11:54   #109
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I just got back on line, and noticed that my turn had passed, but you can now send the save to me.

A_Roivainen@hotmail.com or
ajroivai@mappi.helsinki.fi

ok, first one is the one i use the most,
and the other is my university address but
it has had some problems during the last two weeks.

on my civ2 cd reads: "the ultimate civilizationII
classic collection". hope thats ok.

a question: when are we going to play this kind
of game against the sidgamesteam? you know this would
be a good way to find out whos who and whos not.
(I hope that i'm not fanning the flames of hate
with this idea.)

------------------
"Victrix Fortunae Virtus"
Old October 18, 2000, 17:24   #110
CornMaster
Prince

You must follow the number of turns not the years. The turns are more accurate than the years.
4000BC-3050BC (20 turns) CornMaster (Player 1) *
3000BC-2050BC (20 turns) Maud'Dib (Player 2) *
2000BC-1050BC (20 turns) Scouse Gits (Player 3)*
1000BC-525BC (20 turns) DaveV (Player 4)*
500BC-25BC (20 turns) Smash (Player 5)*
AD1-AD280 (15 turns) kcbob (Player 6)*
AD300-AD580 (15 turns) Paul (Player 7)*
AD600-AD880 (15 turns) Sibir (Player 8)
AD900-AD1180 (15 turns) Andemagne (Player 9)
AD1200-AD1480 (15 turns) Christantine The Great (Player 10)
AD1500-AD1600 (10 turns) Player 1
AD1600-AD1700 (10 turns) Player 2
AD1700-AD1758 (10 turns) Player 3
AD1760-AD1778 (10 turns) Player 4
AD1780-AD1798 (10 turns) Player 5
AD1800-AD1818 (10 turns) Player 6
AD1820-AD1838 (10 turns) Player 7
AD1840-AD1854 (10 turns) Player 8
AD1855-AD1864 (10 turns) Player 9

It's soon going to be my turn again!!!

------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
CornEmpire Index
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old October 18, 2000, 20:00   #111
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Succession Site is back up and up-to-date

Old October 18, 2000, 21:42   #112
kcbob
King

Man, oh man, SG, that is some terrific site. Outstanding work!

------------------
Frodo lives!

Old October 19, 2000, 00:05   #113
Christantine The Great
Prince

Could someone please post an up to date list of players?

------------------

The Viking Archives
Old October 19, 2000, 02:52   #114
Maud'Dib

kcbob,

GREAT story!!! Excellent!!!

I wait with breathless anticipation for my return to the throne.

Maud'Dib II, the Conqueror is waiting.

------------------

Old October 19, 2000, 20:18   #115
Christantine The Great
Prince

Great site SG. Since I am Player 10 I get to go first the next game right? Right? (Yes, I've always been this impatient )

------------------

The Viking Archives
Old October 20, 2000, 00:14   #116
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I just got an email from Sibir saying that at the moment he's too busy to play, so I sent the save to Andemagne who's the next player on the list.
Old October 20, 2000, 09:02   #117
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 00:45
Local Date: October 31, 2010
jep, i received the save-game and i'm going to
give it a go tonight. hopefully I inherit a large
and fertile empire and leave a little larger behind.

after i have done my work, to whom I shall send
the save to, to scource gits of course, but who else?

BTW what kind of smiles you can use at Apolyton Forums
nowadays?

------------------
"Victrix Fortunae Virtus"
Old October 20, 2000, 09:52   #118
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Edit to fix total c*ck-up
Second edit to fix typos ...

Andemagne: Please send Save Game (and commentary) to me - mailto:scouse-git@thefreeinternet.co.uk;
CornMaster - mailto:dacornmaster@hotmail.com and to Christantine the Great - who plays next on: mailto:christantine606@aol.com

Good Luck and Good civin'

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited October 20, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited October 20, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited October 23, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited October 25, 2000).]
Old October 20, 2000, 10:12   #119
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Roll up! Roll up!
Still room for three (yes three) more intrepid rulers in the Apolyton Knitting Circle Succession Game (v2.42, Deity, Raging)

Please post your interest in that thread ...

------------------

Old October 20, 2000, 11:16   #120
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Andemagne on 10-20-2000 09:02 AMhopefully I inherit a large
and fertile empire and leave a little larger behind.

BTW what kind of smiles you can use at Apolyton Forums
nowadays?

Are you saying I've got a big butt??

And for smilies, click on the "smilies Legend" link to the left when you're posting.

BTW, Scouse. There's no way I can get in the 2.42 game with my MGE version, correct?

------------------
Frodo lives!