Old April 29, 2001, 00:44   #1
SK138
Warlord

Local Time: 19:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
counter units
I have been thinking whether it would be a good idea not to have units counter each other like in Age of Empires II. I think it would be a great idea but then again, how hard is it to do with so many units throughout time and will it be balenced? An example of my idea is a pikeman should defeat a calvary most of the time. However, it needs to be balenced so you can't just build an army of pikemen and win. What do you think?
Old April 29, 2001, 00:51   #2
King Richard
Warlord

Local Time: 01:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but do you mean that some units shouldn't be ably to defeat a pikeman f.eks.? A bunch of knights isn't very likely to take a fortress/walled city. To do that you'll need infantry and siege weapons! Plus, a wall shouldn't be an advantage in the modern ages! Now that we have received info on how armies will work, I think that a lot of these problems will be fixed!?
Old April 29, 2001, 01:57   #3
Kautilya
King

Local Time: 18:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Well you could have bonuses for certain units against other units. Ideally you want a a rock-paper-scissors situation like in AOK. eg knight gets a bonus against archers, archers bonus against pikemen and pikemen a bonus against knights.
Also infantry should get a bonus against cities compared to the other two.
That way you have to think about creating a good mix and also positioning your mix properly.

Actually the combat model in CTP2 with stacked combat as well as unit classes like ranged units,flanking units etc was quite neat and certainly better than combat in Civ2. It should be one of the things that Civ3 tries to emulate or improve upon.