Old May 1, 2002, 02:44   #1
Bigboffin
Settler

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wonder Movies ???
OK, I'm thinking of buying this game (www.hmv.co.uk seems well-priced) and i wanted to know what advice you would give me. I've played CTP 1 before, and it was pretty good, and I've played Civilization 3, and not been all that impressed with it. One thing that REALLY annoyed me about Civ 3 was the lack of wonder movies. Instead (in case any of you don't know), you get these little pathetic pictures, which don't do anything! Does CTP 2 have wonder movies, and are they any good. Also, are all the wonders the same as CTP 1. And, if it's possible (if anyone is really feeling generous), could you maybe point me to an FAQ containing the names of all the wonders, or perhaps tell me here?

Thanks in advance, you helpful people.
Old May 1, 2002, 02:59   #2
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1. Welcome to the forums.
2. Good choice in thinking of getting CTP2.
3. Boo to Civ3.
4. Yay to CTP2's wonder movies! (Yes it does have them, and yes they are good.)
5. Some wonders are the same as CTP1, but some are new, some are in CTP1 but not 2.
6. It's been that long since I played vanilla style CTP2, I can't remember the standard wonders.
Old May 1, 2002, 07:37   #3
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

HMV(uk version) 'well-priced'!! £4.99 its a steal!
(UK players should get this game now, i've no idea how many hmv has in stock - my local one(central London) has a big pile of about 30 odd boxes? But i'm thinking once this game has gone, well it'll be hard to find.)
Just give it a chance......maybe play a few games first of the un-modded game.It'll give you the chance to get to grips with the interface, without too much AI interference.Not that it's a bad interface, just different from CTP1.
Then download a mod or two(can be a fun exercise in its own right) and see the difference It never ceases to amaze me how much this game can be changed.
Wonder movies? the easiest way would be to look in the relevant folder. I'll try from memmory
1.Stonehenge
2.Pyramids
3.Ramayana
4.Chichen Itchen(somethinglike that!)
5.GreatWall
6.Lighthouse
7.HangingGardens(it does doesn't it?)
8.Colloseum
9.Gallelao's telescope
10.Appaian Way
11.err.....erm some medieval thing
Gads!pathetic sorry..........i dunno the onset of old age? There are lots if that helps, and they are good for the most part(the dancing in the Ramayana though )
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old May 1, 2002, 08:08   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:52
Tsk, tsk, tsk, will you people ever learn
Here's how to do it the right way, a copy-paste of the relevant section of gl_str.txt:

Quote:
"Pyramids"
"Ramayana"
"Great Wall"
"The Appian Way"
"Chichén Itzá"
"Central Matter Decompiler"
"Forbidden City"
"Aristotle's Lyceum"
"Hagia Sophia"
"Gutenberg's Bible"
"East India Company"
"Galileo's Telescope"
"Emancipation Act"
"Penicillin"
"London Exchange"
"Empire State Building"
"Hollywood"
"Internet"
"The Agency"
"GlobeSat"
"Field Dynamics Lab"
"Data Haven"
"Genome Project"
"World Peace Center"
"Nanite Defuser"
"National Shield"
"Egalitarian Act"
"The Eden Project"
"The Solaris Project"
"Zero Crime Bill"
Old May 1, 2002, 13:27   #5
Bigboffin
Settler

OK, thanks to everyone for being so nice (this board seems really cool). I'm definitely really seriously (lol) thinking about getting Civ CTP 2 now, but I just have one more question about the wonder movies:

Do the wonders which are the same as those in CTP 1 - e.g. Hollywood have the same wonder movies. Not that it *really* matters, I'm just interested. Thanks again to everyone, this board is really cool!

Also, could someone point me to a good site (for future reference, obviously) for d/loading mods for CTP 2? Is apolyton a good site for this? Oh, and also, do the user-created wonders that Dale mentioned have their own wonder movies (if so, WOW - but that would be seriously surprising). Thanks to everyone again, and hmv.co.uk should be getting an order from me soon.

~Runs off to check the site to see whether P & P are included~

Old May 1, 2002, 13:46   #6
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
Quote:
Is apolyton a good site for this?
Possibly. Check out this thread for the locations of everything. If in doubt, check the 'Poly database, but note it has not been updated for some months.
Apolyton is the best (and almost indeed, the only) site for updates and news and discussion about CtP2.

I don't think we have any home-made wonder movies, the best approximation is the MedMod's use of the Stonehenge movie from CtP1.
Old May 1, 2002, 14:07   #7
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

I think the movies of the CtP1 wonders are sometimes the same, sometimes (slightly) different. I know for sure Chichen Itza has a new movie, but it's more a variation on the old movie than an entirely new one...

Kull is supposed to be working on wonder movies for Cradle, but I think he's on vacation or something right now...

And yes, Apolyton is pretty much the ONLY site for CtP2. And keep an eye on the Creation forum, temporary file database is coming up really soon (but for the major mods the thread IW linked to will work fine as well)...
Old May 1, 2002, 14:30   #8
Locutus
Deity

Hmm, that's odd. I posted here half an hour ago but the forum index page doesn't seem to have registered it. Let's see if it works now...

Edit: lol, this post *is* registered but the other one still isn't (ths thread has 6 replies, should be 7).

*spammer mode* I wonder if the above post counts towards my post-count or not */spammer mode*
Old May 2, 2002, 03:41   #9
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

That happened to me a while ago,its odd...
Old May 2, 2002, 12:36   #10
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

That happend to me a while ago, too. IIRC the post was counted.

But back to topic: CTP2 wonder videos are shorter than CTP1 wonder videos. You have to note that the wonder description in CTP2 is in the wonder video box instead in the video itsself, so they cut off at least the last frames of each video. But I think the cut off also other frames.

-Martin
Old May 2, 2002, 16:00   #11
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

I too love the wonder movies, and still have them on now it just kinda feels that youve accomplished something each time. And sometimes i dont notice its completed if i dont have the movie to remind me.
Im not sure including 'new' made movies into mods is such a good idea, especially for lowly ol' 56k'ers like me.
But then i wouldnt have to download the movies to actually play the mod.
Old May 2, 2002, 19:12   #12
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
Or, you have the wonder movies as an "add-on pack" with the new movies and a new wondermovie.txt. That way you don't need to download the movies to play, but you can for the extra environment.
Old May 3, 2002, 02:29   #13
Bigboffin
Settler

IMHO, that sounds like a good idea, Dale