Old April 26, 2001, 14:29   #1
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 19:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Elvis
Okay, maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but damnit, I want Elvis back in CivIII. Anyone agree with me? What's an attitude advisor without THE King???
Old April 26, 2001, 15:10   #2
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 18:55
I am not sure that I agree. Elvis was cool but in civ2 the advisors were useless. It looks like the advisors in civ3 will be more useful.
Furthermore, I think it will be very cool to have advisors representing Sid and co giving advice. I will feel as if the Firaxis team is with me as I play, helping me improve. Imagine the "cartoon" face of sid telling you what tech to research next, or Jeff telling you how to beat up the Mongols. I think that will be very very cool especially if they give really useful "insider" advice.

------------------
No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
Old April 26, 2001, 16:26   #3
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 04-26-2001 02:29 PM
Okay, maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but damnit, I want Elvis back in CivIII. Anyone agree with me? What's an attitude advisor without THE King???

If you're referring to the PCGameplay screenshot Civ3_1, someone suggested those faces represented other players in a multiplayer game. Take heart -- maybe the king is still there behind the scenes!
Old April 26, 2001, 18:31   #4
SerapisIV
King

quote:

Originally posted by The diplomat on 04-26-2001 03:10 PM
I am not sure that I agree. Elvis was cool but in civ2 the advisors were useless. It looks like the advisors in civ3 will be more useful.
Furthermore, I think it will be very cool to have advisors representing Sid and co giving advice. I will feel as if the Firaxis team is with me as I play, helping me improve. Imagine the "cartoon" face of sid telling you what tech to research next, or Jeff telling you how to beat up the Mongols. I think that will be very very cool especially if they give really useful "insider" advice.

I don't mind those guys, but there are seven advisors. I don't know most of Firaxis' staff, sure don't know what they look like so their faces mean little to me. Sure its nice for them, but I'm for the fun factor and having the King is definitely fun.
Old April 26, 2001, 19:08   #5
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:55
It would be nice if they held off on the implementation of the High Council until very near the release date.

That way, they will be able to better coordinate the messages players will receive with the best possible outcomes in actual, carefully tested gameplay, incorporating all the major strategies.

For example, when most of us get the game, the Resource model will be new to us, so it would be nice if the Trade Advisor would give us genuinely helpful advice in that area.

Or perhaps the Foreign Relations Advisor could suggest that we attempt to trade gold or technologies to acquire a specific enemy city, instead of just advocating "build more spies" or "explore" or whatever. The Negotiation Table will be new to us, and the Foreign Relations Advisor should try to give us realistic tips on how to use it wisely.

The Science Advisor advise you to trade technologies if you've established embassies and he notices techs you don't have. Sometimes Civ players forget about that sort of thing. He may advise stealing techs from civs you're at war with.

The Military Advisor is the hardest of all. In the early game, when you haven't met any other civs, he should counsel for City Walls, defending units, and explorers. When we encounter a hostile civilization, he should advise a military campaign against them. He should advise more naval or air units if appropriate. He should advise military pacts against common enemies.

The point is, sad but true, the High Council in Civ II, amusing though it was, wasn't helpful at all. Sometimes the Foreign Minister would advise "trading technologies" in the late game, when the player already had every single tech in the tree.

Back to the King, though:

For Elvis, the Luxury Advisor, his job should be to warn the player which cities will need a Temple soon, to instruct the player when it's time to devote some of the taxes toward Luxury (while being somewhat realistic about it: it's no good recommending luxuries in the early game in Despotism), and maybe even to encourage you to invest more in trade and gold-generating improvements, which leads to more luxuries. Elvis should agree with the Trade Advisor when he advises you to build more Marketplaces, for example. He should be able to warn the player when too many military units away from home are upsetting the citizens, for example, or when you've built too many nuclear weapons.
Old April 26, 2001, 20:51   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 02:55
I'm all for that.
But THE KING must hold his rightful place in Civ III as well
Old April 27, 2001, 15:17   #7
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 02:55
I really don't care as long as they keep April in!
Old April 27, 2001, 22:38   #8
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:55
Personally, I think P.T. Barnum would be a better advisor for the industrial age.
Old April 27, 2001, 22:55   #9
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:55
Ehhmm, (Wittlich steps back onto the soap box)

Like I stated in the thread dealing with "all white male advisors" in CIV3...Give Firaxis it's claim to glory folks!

IMO, by seeing Sid and Jeff in the positon as the Advisors has led me to the conclusion that the creators of CIV3 (Sid and Company) will have their likeness in the game as the games advisors...and I totally, and full heartedly agree! They created the game, give them their just reward! They SHOULD be ones to advise you during the game play.

And concerning the "King", I don't want to sound cold hearted, but he's DEAD - get over it. I ask you, what role did Elvis play in the creation of CIV3? Give the Atitude Advisor's slot to someone who actually had a hand in the game's creation. Firaxis is creating this game, so IMHO, I feel the advisors slots SHOULD go to the hard workers of Firaxis.

Ok, I had my say. This is just what I feel strongly about, that's all. I do apologize in advance if I have ruffled anyones feathers during my tirade. Thank you for your time
(Wittlich steps down off of the soap box)
Old April 28, 2001, 09:00   #10
Max Webster
Prince

i think the attitude advisor should be sid meier dressed up as elvis
Old April 28, 2001, 09:41   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

quote:

Originally posted by Max Webster on 04-28-2001 09:00 AM
i think the attitude advisor should be sid meier dressed up as elvis

There ya go! A happy medium
Old April 28, 2001, 10:14   #12
Cyberbugs
Settler

Local Time: 00:55
I personally don't care if Elvis is an advisor, but what I WOULD like to see, is that the advisors "cheat".
By that I mean that they sometimes provide you with useful inside information. For example the military advisor may say: Many nuclear missiles are being produced by different civilizations. I suggest you build some anti-nuclear defence.
This way the advisors don't just provide you with things that you are already aware of, like "build more naval vessels".
Old April 28, 2001, 14:36   #13
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

I want the King! Or PT Barnum. Or Dionysus in the early game. Or a prostitute! Just something creative that will make me appreciate the game more done by a professional actor. Not some programmer who can't act smiling away at me. That guy can write the game and come up with all the wonderful hints, but why should I have to watch him do the play he never got to do in high school? I'm going to be shelling out, what, $60 (?) for this game. I don't want to see amateur night at the high school gym the first time my advisors show up.
Old April 28, 2001, 17:20   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Ok Echinda, I understand what you're saying...but The Diplomat has made an interesting point - Wouldn't YOU like to have the creators of CIV3 giving you advice on the game (after all, who better than them are the most familiar with the "nuts and bolts" of the game)? You want Elvis (or some other actor)? Then fine, dress one of the Firaxis engineers in a costume then.

Oh, and I too agree that this is an actual a form of an "ego trip" for the creators of CIV3. But I have no problem with it and fully indorse their actions - after all, if the game is ANYTHING like we expect it to be, then I say they've earned the right to "pat themselves on the back." I know if I was in their place, I would do the same thing.

Remember, having and ego is not necessarily a bad thing ... it's just part of being human. Everyone at some time or another needs their 15 minutes of fame
Old April 28, 2001, 17:23   #15
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

quote:

Originally posted by Cyberbugs on 04-28-2001 10:14 AM
I personally don't care if Elvis is an advisor, but what I WOULD like to see, is that the advisors "cheat".
By that I mean that they sometimes provide you with useful inside information. For example the military advisor may say: Many nuclear missiles are being produced by different civilizations. I suggest you build some anti-nuclear defence.
This way the advisors don't just provide you with things that you are already aware of, like "build more naval vessels".

Cyberbugs, that is an interesting idea and I too would like to see something like this in CIV3 - as long as this "insider information" advice is not abused (ie, you get to much real-world insider information).
[This message has been edited by Wittlich (edited April 28, 2001).]
Old April 29, 2001, 14:15   #16
Seeker
Emperor

I never clicked on 'High Council' for actual advice...I clicked to hear 'Good job.....KING'

THE KING WILL LIVE FOREVER!