Old April 27, 2001, 13:29   #1
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 16:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Air units should be able to use Airports!
That's just my suggestion du jour. Fighters and Bombers and other air units should be able to instantly transport via Airports just like ground units. It's only reasonable, and it would help balance out the gross inequity between ground units and navy/air.

(You may wish to limit this. For example, tactical nukes and ICBMs might be an exception to this rule.)
Old April 27, 2001, 17:59   #2
Ilkuul
Prince

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Couldn't agree more!
Old April 27, 2001, 18:04   #3
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

I disagree. Air units have a limited range. The idea of airlifting anywhere in the world is already strange without having to airlift airplanes.

------------------
Its okay to smile; you're in America now
Old April 28, 2001, 07:08   #4
Patriqvium
Prince

Local Time: 02:55
If the whole airport advance works the same way as in Civ I&II, I think its range should be limited to ~16 squares per turn. If stealth bombers have that as their maximum range, how could a transport plane fly even longer?
Old April 28, 2001, 07:35   #5
jdlessl
Warlord

Local Time: 19:55
Sure planes have limited range, but not on the time scales Civ plays at!

There are massive inconsistencies in the rate at which units move. It's bad with non-railroaded land units, really bad with ships, and unbelievably horrible with air units. Range has nothing to do with it, it's simply a far too low movement rate.

Consider a map 128 sqaures around. Air units have so far been allowed to move between 10 and 20 units per turn. So we've got a lightning fast stealth aircraft, modern technology at it's finest, and it takes, at best, something like 6 years to go around the globe.

Whether or not we go with airlifting air units, something has to change. I'd rather air units had no movement limit at all but simply one of range. i.e., they can only go x squares from a friendly base.

--
Jared Lessl
Old April 28, 2001, 07:44   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 02:55
Don't you think there should be a balance between ground unit movements and air unit movements?

In Civ II there are supersonic Mech. infantries that put to shame even the jet fighters (as should be the name of the stealth fighters in civ II inmho).

It just feels so strange to be able to move anywhere on the ground in 1 turn and yet be forced to make 2 and 3 stops for your air units.

Thoughts?
Old April 28, 2001, 18:04   #7
EnochF
Prince

This is what I'm saying. The 'Airlift' feature is a great way of reconciling modern transport and the time-frame Civ uses.

Now, keep in mind that allowing air units to be Airlifted will not allow the player to drop them off in enemy territory. If you want to bomb the enemy, you'll still need to get your planes there by building an airbase or moving an aircraft carrier. It's just that it will no longer take your Stealth Bombers three turns just to fly from one end of your empire to the next.

Plus, air units being Airlifted will be subject to the same dangers as any other airlifted unit. If there are enemy planes between the two points, there's a danger they will be 'shot down.'

Besides, Airports come relatively late in the game. It's not as if your very first propeller-based fighters will be jumping around the map.

(And ships need better movement rates. I already posted on that thread, though.)
[This message has been edited by EnochF (edited April 29, 2001).]
Old April 28, 2001, 18:40   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:55
Ah, now I see your point EnochF and I agree. I like the idea posted by jdlessl stating that "...air units have no movement limit at all but simply one of range. i.e., they can only go x squares from a friendly base." This, I believe will help solve the inconsistancies between the ground and air units...and it will force you to build forward air operating bases or aircraft carriers. I like like it! (Wittlich makes an evil laugh).

Old April 28, 2001, 23:09   #9
SK138
Warlord

Local Time: 19:55
I think an airlift would be neat because it does take a long time to move planes around, I don't even use them very often in civ 1, 2 and SMAC because I always run out of fuel. If the planes do have an airlift, I think they should only get one airlift a turn though.
Old April 29, 2001, 01:29   #10
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 20:55
Instant travel around the globe......... I say we limit the airlift distance for ground units and leave the air units the way they are.

------------------
"We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
-Thomas A. Edison
Old April 29, 2001, 13:57   #11
EnochF
Prince

Just because something is accomplished one turn doesn't mean it's "instant." A turn is a year, at the very least.

I mean, you'd have a point if a turn was supposed to represent five minutes...
Old April 29, 2001, 15:09   #12
dennis_caver
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:55
Hey,

Like in the real world you could have long range tanker planes. These
would extend the range of a squadron of fighters or bombers. More
importantly the AI should understand the strategy and tactics of modern
air power. All strategy games I've see don't know how to use airplanes
to establish the concept of air superiority.

Cavin forever,

Dennis